You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Captain Skill question re: Orion and Bogatyr

10 comments in this topic

Members
1,567 posts
9,993 battles

I have ships of all tiers but I still like playing T3 and T4 once in a while as they are so much fun. I'm trying to make captain skill decisions on these two low tier ships and would love some feedback.

ORION - WG recently nerfed the it's shell grouping sigma from 1.8 to 1.6 and I'm feeling the pain (unless it's all in my head). To counter the nerf should I:
1) Get DE skill (2% more chance of fire) 
2) Inertia Fuse, lose 3% chance of fire but add DE later to make up for it?

Bogatyr-
This is my favorite seal clubbing ship. I currently have PM, EM, BOS, and AFT for 13.6km range. Good setup for kite spamming HE. I enjoy it immensely but I want to take seal clubbing to another level.
I'm wondering if I should get Inertia Fuse? - since fire setting with so many guns is pretty good and losing -1% isn't too bad. Perhaps I'm wrong but this ship could be a real bad [edited]with Inertia Fuse.

Members
18,241 posts
5,214 battles

Not really sure, it depends on what the plating is on T4 BBs. IFHE takes you from being able to pen 21mm to being able to pen 28mm.

Don't think it'll make a difference anywhere else. Anything else will be 21mm or less, or well over 28mm.

Edited by Skpstr

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,965 battles

Orion needs neither of those skills because the benefits are negligible to that ship. 2% matters much more to a ship with ~10% fire chance, not 30% or more; the raw HE pen is enough to citadel some cruisers and normal pen any armor a T4 ship might face, adding more penetration will change nothing.

Choose survivability and/or stealth skills for your Orion instead.

As for the Bogatyr I don't know if she even sees ships that need IFHE to pen the armor, you'd have to consult the armor viewer or something to make that choice.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
10 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

This is my favorite seal clubbing ship

I give no advice to admitted seal clubbers, except this,

"sharpened nails in the bat"

Members
1,567 posts
9,993 battles
8 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

Orion needs neither of those skills because the benefits are negligible to that ship. 2% matters much more to a ship with ~10% fire chance, not 30% or more; the raw HE pen is enough to citadel some cruisers and normal pen any armor a T4 ship might face, adding more penetration will change nothing.

Choose survivability and/or stealth skills for your Orion instead.

As for the Bogatyr I don't know if she even sees ships that need IFHE to pen the armor, you'd have to consult the armor viewer or something to make that choice.

For Orion I have PM, EM, Super, and CE. I very rarely get sunk in Orion. Any suggestions?

Maybe add CE to Bogatyr so she can fire long range and disappear easier? 

Edited by STINKWEED_

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
27 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Bogatyr-
This is my favorite seal clubbing ship. I currently have PM, EM, BOS, and AFT for 13.6km range. Good setup for kite spamming HE. I enjoy it immensely but I want to take seal clubbing to another level. 

my understanding is that true seal clubbing doesn't commence until you plop a 19-pt captain into an Orlan.  but than again maybe seal machine gunning is a more apt description. 

Members
1,567 posts
9,993 battles
5 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

my understanding is that true seal clubbing doesn't commence until you plop a 19-pt captain into an Orlan.  but than again maybe seal machine gunning is a more apt description. 

Maybe I don't know the true meaning.

I thought that if you are an experienced player with high tier ships and play the low tiers you are automatically a seal clubber. 

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Maybe I don't know the true meaning.

I thought that if you are an experienced player with high tier ships and play the low tiers you are automatically a seal clubber. 

nope -- I think you got a handle on it.  I just like taking my seal clubbing to the ultimate level of absurdity.  

Edited by Dr_Dirt
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,364 battles

As for Bogatyr...  The extremities of tier 4 BBs are covered in 19mm plate, which 130mm Bogy already pens with HE.  There is a bit of 25mm to be found in the bracket - the deck of Myogi and the side torpedo bulges of Kaiser, for instance (and then there is the 40 mm deck on the French T4), which is where it would make a difference, but in general IFHE doesn't seem worth it.

So once you have loaded up on all the direct buff skills (EM, BFT, AFT, DE), AR would be nice for some extra RoF.  CE is fine, though the concealment meta for cruisers and BBs doesn't seem strong at lower tiers.  You could do something absolutely troll and take Radio Location - freak those poor lower tier DD players out.  Amusing though that is, I would probably pick something (or a selection of things) to help survivability - PT, High Alert, Vigilance, something like that.

I agree that with Orion, the 2% buff provided by DE is not enough to be worth it, given the low rate of fire and already high fire chance on your HE.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,735 posts
7,466 battles
2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have ships of all tiers but I still like playing T3 and T4 once in a while as they are so much fun. I'm trying to make captain skill decisions on these two low tier ships and would love some feedback.

ORION - WG recently nerfed the it's shell grouping sigma from 1.8 to 1.6 and I'm feeling the pain (unless it's all in my head). To counter the nerf should I:
1) Get DE skill (2% more chance of fire) 
2) Inertia Fuse, lose 3% chance of fire but add DE later to make up for it?

Orion has 102mm secondaries and 343mm main guns. 

Without IFHE, the 102mm guns can pen 16mm of armor and the main guns can pen 56mm of armor.

With IFHE, the 102mm guns can pen 21mm of armor and the main guns can pen 73mm of armor.

The armor on T3-T5 DDs is mostly 6mm to 15mm thick, so IFHE doesn't help. The Okhotnik and T-22 have 16mm of side armor (less fore and aft) so IFHE will help with those two.

There are only 2 CLs that have citadel belt armor that IFHE will help the main guns with and they are; Tenryu has 63mm citadel belt armor (6mm fore and aft) and Karlsruhe has 60mm of belt armor (10mm plating).

All of these CL/CAs have thick enough citadel belt armor that IFHE still won't penetrate with the main guns, Furutaka, St Louis, Phoenix, Marblehead, Omaha, Murmansk, Svietlana, Krasny Krym, Caledon, Danae and Emerald. Everything else can be penned in the belt without IFHE. 

IFHE on the 102mm secondary guns can pen the fore and aft of the Myogi, Ishizuchi, Kongos, Wyoming, Texas, New York, Nikolai I, Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya, Kaiser, Konig, Orion, Iron Duke, Courbet, Bretagne, and Giulio Cesare. The main guns don't have a difference on BB armor with or without IFHE as the armor is either under 56mm or over 73mm.

Now, since the Orion secondaries have a 3.5km range (4.2km with AFT), I don't think it would be worth it to put IFHE on the Orion, but YMMV.

2 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Bogatyr-
I'm wondering if I should get Inertia Fuse? - since fire setting with so many guns is pretty good and losing -1% isn't too bad. Perhaps I'm wrong but this ship could be a real bad [edited]with Inertia Fuse.

The 130mm guns on the Bogatyr pen 21mm of armor without IFHE and pen 27mm of armor with IFHE.

The Umikaze has 25mm of side plating, so IFHE helps with 1 DD in the T2-T4 range. None of the rest of the DDs can withstand 130mm HE.

The Svietlana has 25mm side plating, so IFHE helps with that, but the citadel armor on all of these cruisers is too tough for IFHE; St Louis, Phoenix, Svietlana, Caledon, and Danae. The rest can be penned without IFHE.

The Kawachi, Myogi, South Carolina and Nassau all have 25mm of deck plating, so IFHE will help with that. The Kaiser has 25mm of Torpedo bulges, so IFHE will help with that.

The Mikasa, Kawachi, Myogi, Ishizuchi, South Carolina, Wyoming, Nikolai I, Kaiser, Bellerophon, Orion, Turenne, and Courbet all can be penned fore and aft without IFHE.  

Looking at this, I'm not so sure that IFHE is all that great for Bogatyr, until you have a 14+pt captain, if then. AFT and CE seem more useful for 4 point skills. YMMV

Edited by Kizarvexis