You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Axis vs Allied mode

26 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles

There are enough ships and nations that I think it would be fun to have an axis vs allied mode. You have the German and Japanese on one side, the allies on the other side and the Italians enter a random pool and can fight for either side. :Smile_Default:

• Cool 2

[JTF67]
Members
59 posts
3,099 battles

I would like to see other game modes but balancing this would be a nightmare. I think a faction based PVE campaign would be cool.

[NMKJT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
736 posts
2,520 battles

Eh... no.

Gaijoob's War Thunder have this disastrous game mode.

• Bad 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
24 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

There are enough ships and nations that I think it would be fun to have an axis vs allied mode. You have the German and Japanese on one side, the allies on the other side and the Italians enter a random pool and can fight for either side. :Smile_Default:

I think they kinda of cover this in operations, the Iti's now that is funny, all French BBs spawn in with their backs to the red spawn

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,256 posts
2,029 battles

A great idea on paper, but it falls apart because of consumables - no Axis ships get access to Radar in this game - that's a US/UK/VMF thing only, which makes things hard.

Plus, it's era dependent. This game stretches over a long period of time.

In the WWI era, Italian and Japanese ships would be facing off against German ships, not with them.

Post-WWII, the Russians are far from Allies with the US, UK, France, & Italy - and Germany is split in half.

• Cool 1

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,330 battles
31 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Italian ships should go with Axis.

And in this mode the French ships immediately surrender when the battle starts. :cap_cool:

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
1,838 posts
12,880 battles

This idea can be improved upon. I like the idea, this can probably be the first tier 8 operation, now IF your worried about radar how about the first tier 5 operation like  when in they first started. We can add shore installations that give perks for taking them over, I mean this can be a big hit. But then again its only an idea

Edited by Navalpride33

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
32 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

several of the scenarios have been designed around an axis vs. allies theme.  I doubt it will make it into some form of randoms play -- for a variety of reasons.  Queue time being an important consideration.  

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,330 battles
9 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

A great idea on paper, but it falls apart because of consumables - no Axis ships get access to Radar in this game - that's a US/UK/VMF thing only, which makes things hard.

German ships would have hydro.  That helps balance things.  Radar has longer range but hydro lasts longer.

[S0L0]
Members
877 posts
4,858 battles

WOT tried it several years ago, it was a miserable failure, impossible to balance, I see no reason it would be easier with boats.

Matt

[SIDE]
Members
730 posts
3,265 battles

I feel World of Warships would have better success than World of Tanks. However I feel like it would work only up to a max tier rank. Wargaming's very specific selection of "Radar" heavily focuses on the allies US, USSR, and Pan Asia while the Axis doesn't have any radar. 

Seeing it only done as an event from tier 5 and tier 6 would be super interesting. (Only reason why I say no to tier 7 is that premium ships have radar. Belfast, Atlanta, Flint, Indianapolis, and soon Boise.)  

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,280 posts
25,314 battles
25 minutes ago, mobryan said:

WOT tried it several years ago, it was a miserable failure, impossible to balance, I see no reason it would be easier with boats.

Matt

This

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles
8 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

This

Holy crap more than 20k battles wow, I tip my cap to your sir.

[HINON]
7,256 posts
2,029 battles
49 minutes ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

German ships would have hydro.  That helps balance things.  Radar has longer range but hydro lasts longer.

Yeah, but almost cruisers have hydro. The only difference is that German cruisers have slightly better hydro, but that's a very close-range question and while it's a good supplement to radar, it does not replace it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,807 posts
10,315 battles
9 minutes ago, Phoenix_jz said:

Yeah, but almost cruisers have hydro. The only difference is that German cruisers have slightly better hydro, but that's a very close-range question and while it's a good supplement to radar, it does not replace it.

You could limit the mode to T6, or T7 if premium-free and avoid the radar hang-up.

Not sure how attractive that'd be, but at least it would be preponderantly real ships as well. QE vs. Bayern rather than Zao vs. Moskva is a little more compelling to me.

[ARGSY]
5,178 posts
18,895 battles

WoT tried it years ago and removed it two patches later.

Reason? People liked to play only certain tanks, no one joined with light tanks, waiting for a battle most of the time ended with being kicked after 5 minutes.

[HINON]
7,256 posts
2,029 battles
25 minutes ago, mofton said:

You could limit the mode to T6, or T7 if premium-free and avoid the radar hang-up.

Not sure how attractive that'd be, but at least it would be preponderantly real ships as well. QE vs. Bayern rather than Zao vs. Moskva is a little more compelling to me.

True, but then you do exclude some of the famous classes that exist at VIII. Even tier IX and X have some, like Fletcher, Yamato, Iowa, and Yugumo

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,123 posts
4,270 battles

The mode could be a mix of random and co-op. If not enough players doesn't join in after 3min, slots on both team get auto filled by bots.  The main problem wot mode they had was using all humans to fill in the teams.  At least with bots,  you can fill teams more easily.  And yes,  humans on both team. Not just on one team in coop

[SIDE]
Members
730 posts
3,265 battles
4 hours ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

So where would Pan Asian destroyers go?

They would all go to Allies.

It's all a mix between British, US, and Russian destroyers. (All Allies)

The only complicated one if you really wanted to dig in is Tier 9 which is a South Korean DD which was occupied by Japan until the end of the war.

[LUCK]
Members
1,299 posts
19,563 battles
6 hours ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

And in this mode the French ships immediately surrender when the battle starts. :cap_cool:

I was thinking anyone can shoot a French ship regardless of team. No TK if you sink one on your team.

[PVE]
Members
5,615 posts
18,201 battles
6 hours ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

LOL I have a better idea. When the match starts, the Italians can look over the ships of both teams then decide which team to play on... 

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,293 posts
4,243 battles

The Italians have no ships at lower tiers, and even their Tier 5 battleships are IIRC the WW2 iterations. So put them with the Axis.

If it's impossible to balance, maybe that says something about the relative strengths of the ships on both sides in the ACTUAL WAR?