Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

Cruiser vs Battleship as preference

17 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles

I started WoWs thinking I'd stick to cruisers to get the best of both worlds of torpedoes from destroyers and guns for pounding other ships.

I find when in a cruiser I get too fixated on the guns and need to develop strategy and tactics in using torpedoes. For one, I don't use them near enough and I've got to develop an approach to use them where I'm not getting battered by my opponents guns. More than once I went up because I took too much damage when either getting into position or waiting for the torpedoes to load. 

While I think the versatility of cruisers makes them more interesting to use I have to say there's something to the visceral to pounding an enemy ship with repeated broadsides and seeing there life indicator precipitously slide leftward with each shell landings! :Smile_playing:

I've been alternating between my cruisers and battleships. As soon as one round ends with one ship I immediately start another with the other ship type. Not always a good idea when you forget your ship type momentarily and you wind up pounding your '3' key futilely  to switch to torpedoes before you realize you're not carrying any...:Smile-angry:

• Cool 2

[JTF67]
Members
59 posts
3,099 battles

Play the American cruiser line. You will not have to worry about torps (except for an odd tier or two) and you can just concentrate on gunning those reds down.

• Cool 2

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

I see a lot of inexperienced CA players think torpedoes are the main armament, which it is not.

You see them turn broadside to fire off their torps and get insta-deleted for doing so, and they may not of gotten their torps off in time.

Torps on CA's are situational, and there are so many I am not going to rattle them off here.

When you have the opportunity to use them then do it, but not if your sacrificing your entire health just to land a hit.

• Cool 4

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,963 battles

Of the two, I currently prefer battleships because they don't fold like paper cups under the slightest amount of pressure, but I may change my mind when I get a top-tier cruiser.

Members
311 posts
2,336 battles

When using torpedoes on a cruiser you need to remember that your guns are where the DPM is. Torpedoes are best used for when a pesky battleship gets too close or a DD decides to rush you and turn full broadside to fire his payload off. Especially with the IJN cruisers since they need to turn full broadside and then some in order to even get their torpedoes pointed at the enemy. If you're forgetting about your torpedoes its probably for the best, it will cause more harm to try to use them then to just not use them.

• Cool 1

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles
14 minutes ago, JAPridemore said:

Play the American cruiser line. You will not have to worry about torps (except for an odd tier or two) and you can just concentrate on gunning those reds down.

I'll have to do that. I really have not done any US ships yet.

Edited by Aurora_7
spelling
  • Cool 1

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles
7 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I see a lot of inexperienced CA players think torpedoes are the main armament, which it is not.

You see them turn broadside to fire off their torps and get insta-deleted for doing so, and they may not of gotten their torps off in time.

Torps on CA's are situational, and there are so many I am not going to rattle them off here.

When you have the opportunity to use them then do it, but not if your sacrificing your entire health just to land a hit.

I've made the repeated mistake of forgetting when trying to line up a torpedo shot on another cruiser that they also could have torpedoes and my shot set up is also setting myself up for a shot from them.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
1 minute ago, Aurora_7 said:

I've made the repeated mistake of forgetting when trying to line up a torpedo shot on another cruiser that they also could have torpedoes and my shot set up is also setting myself up for a shot from them.

I often see this with the upper tier German CA's, 

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,601 posts
4,025 battles

Torpedoes on cruisers are mostly a defensive weapon.  Except in very few instances, you don't have the concealment that a DD does when you're trying to line up a strike, and the firing arcs, as mentioned above, usually mean that you need to be near enough to full broadside to your target that your citadel is exposed.  Sure, the UK CL's have smoke, but everyone expects torpedoes out of smoke so that's a low-percentage play.  Couple that with how smoke usually attracts torpedoes, and the percentage gets even lower.

If you're not risk-averse, you could try island ambushes.  That's your best bet to use them as an offensive weapon.  Otherwise, they're for surprise DD's and BB's that manage to close range.  And in the second case, they're more likely your last resort weapon because your match is most likely about to end.

1 hour ago, JAPridemore said:

But, but, but... 4 is an even tier!

[wah, wah, wah, waaaaaah]

I'll see myself out.

• Funny 1

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,241 battles

If you are going to use torps, which I do, use the IJN line first, they have longer range so its easier to get the feel for it.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,272 posts
4,224 battles
2 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

Not always a good idea when you forget your ship type momentarily and you wind up pounding your '3' key futilely  to switch to torpedoes before you realize you're not carrying any...

It's even worse when you're sailing two RN cruisers, one of which (Emerald) has a smokescreen and the other (Danae) doesn't, and you go get yourself into a tricky situation that requires instant concealment, push the button to hide... and realise too late that you aren't in the ship which can do that.

Fortunately, all the RN cruisers I currently have in port (Tier 5 to 8) now have the same consumables, and even if I have to adjust for various levels of available torpedo and gunnery power, at least I won't be reaching for a gimmick that isn't there. Then I go play the Cleveland or Furutaka and suddenly I feel very, very naked, especially when I've taken damage that (unlike the RN ships) cannot be repaired.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

Most new cruiser players worry about their torps way too much and get deleted regularly trying to land low % yolo attacks.

All cruisers in the game are first and foremost gunboats. Sail them accordingly, and use your torps only as secondary(emergency really) weapons.

Members
672 posts
2,201 battles

I would say go KM Cruisers, great guns at all tiers > 4 and reasonably tanky once you get past the CLs.  Usable self defense torps allow you to deter rushes or ambush ships rounding an island.

Edited by SCygnus

Members
18,219 posts
5,202 battles

Basically, I use cruiser torps as an opportunity weapon, or something to force an enemy to turn.

never think about how I can position myself to use my torps. It's all about the guns.....

[AK-49]
[AK-49]
Members
149 posts
2,120 battles
56 minutes ago, SCygnus said:

...or ambush ships rounding an island.

I was sunk more than once by that ploy.

Edited by Aurora_7

[WOLF9]
Members
3,244 posts
4 hours ago, Flashtirade said:

Of the two, I currently prefer battleships because they don't fold like paper cups under the slightest amount of pressure, but I may change my mind when I get a top-tier cruiser.

Nah, they still fold...  The meta up there is even more passive, because every ship's offensive firepower FAR outstrips any defensive capability.  Plus the cruisers and BB's get HUGE, and aren't as maneuverable any longer.  Seriously- my tier 9 Baltimore is bigger than a Colorado!

I was originally a cruiser main, too.  I still show 50% of my battles in them.   The meta has changed a lot since I first started playing, and cruisers are the whipping boy of the upper tiers.  I still play some- like the above mentioned Baltimore (my favorite so far!), Prinz Eugen, and Pensacola (way too fun, and gotta enjoy it while it lasts)  plus the protected cruisers that I'll never stop loving.  (St Louis, Albany, Svietlana, the Black Booger aka Oleg)  Also have some CA's in port awaiting funds to be fitted out:  Roon and the french tier 8.  Those two lines I also want to grind to tier 10.

Now I switch mostly between BB's and DD's, and I prefer US and French, with Russia earning the silver in DD's.   I like to brawl, knife fight, and hunt DD's- Ie. I like to be aggressive, and get the adrenaline flowing, lol.   These days, cruisers tend to suffer mightily with the heavy BB meta- esp the CL's.   Attempting to rid your team of that pesky red DD is what you do best- unfortunately,  the 5 zillion red BB's sitting in the back waiting for that DD to spot an easy kill for them will then fall all over themselves to be the first to dev strike you.   Poof!  Game over. Rinse repeat.   At least in a BB you might live long enough to do something, provided you manage your DCP and heals effectively.  DD's are just plain fun!  If I die, I don't even mind so much- as long as I go out knowing I likely made some other guy crap his pants, lol.   Who can resist the lure of beating the ever-loving $hip out of enemy DD's; sneaking caps; collecting green cap defense flags;  torping everything not paying attention; or firehosing reds with endless streams of HE??  (and that's just in the American ones, lol)

Members
48 posts
524 battles
3 hours ago, Aurora_7 said:

I was sunk more than once by that ploy.

I'm guessing that your timing was just a bit off. A perfect island ambush requires complete and total stealth until moments before the torps slam into his side (though an imperfect ambush can still result in a kill). You fire pretty much the INSTANT that little grey bar passes out from beyond the land mass, rather than waiting until you're detected. If his guns are pointed toward you, that ambush turns into a paddlin' of your citadels. I also like to orient myself so that I'm angled just BARELY enough for the torps to launch, but, if things go south, I can still point my stern at him and run away as fast as possible.

ALWAYS have a plan B.

Though, it just occurred to me that you might have meant you were sunk by someone doing this. If you've been detected for a long time and MUST pass by that island where you have no sight, point your guns right around the corner, or just vary your speed randomly for a bit. With a bit of luck, you'll catch the would-be assassin with his torp tubes empty, and a stupid look on his face.

Edited by FATEdPondera
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this