Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

Smoke Gen Mod 1 on Fiji: is it a good choice?

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

35
[-1]
Members
136 posts
2,834 battles

I think that dds don't need one because they have to be spotting so this module looks very attractive for light cruisers; Fiji seems to be the primary candidate. Do I miss anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,826
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Yes the UK and Comw are perfect candidates for this Mod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
330
[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

If I remember correctly, the mod increases the time that smoke is laid by 30% while decreasing the duration of the smoke by some amount. This makes it unsuited for British CLs, since they tend to have very short smoke laying times and relatively long smoke durations, meaning that this mod could potentially shorted the overall length of your smokescreens. Keep it for the Perth or USN DDs instead.

Edited by senseNOTmade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
68 posts
8,383 battles

I use it on my Perth and Huanghe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[-1]
Members
136 posts
2,834 battles
21 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

If I remember correctly, the mod increases the time that smoke is laid by 30% while decreasing the duration of the smoke by some amount. This makes it unsuited for British CLs, since they tend to have very short smoke laying times and relatively long smoke durations, meaning that this mod could potentially shorted the overall length of your smokescreens. Keep it for the Perth or USN DDs instead.

Oh, thx man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
449
[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Perth and Huanghe are the best for this modification, because their smoke generator works for a very long time and the smoke itself only last for like 10 seconds. So by using this mod you have smoke for a longer time. These ships are basically a sailing smoke cloud.

This works the other way around for all the other ships, which have a short smoke generating time. The reason thus that it is only very effective for the two premiums. You can calculate yourself that this skill downgrades RN ships.

 

 

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
336
[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts
9,092 battles
2 hours ago, senseNOTmade said:

If I remember correctly, the mod increases the time that smoke is laid by 30% while decreasing the duration of the smoke by some amount. This makes it unsuited for British CLs, since they tend to have very short smoke laying times and relatively long smoke durations, meaning that this mod could potentially shorted the overall length of your smokescreens. Keep it for the Perth or USN DDs instead.

I just did the math, and on Fiji this increase the smoke generator duration to 19.5s (+4.5) and decrease the individual cloud duration to 97.85s (-5.14s). This means you net about -0.65s less smoke time. For comparison, here are it’s affects on other ships: Gearing (which has the longest duration smoke) you get generator +9s and cloud -6.5s for a net of +2.5s. Kiev/Akizuki you get generator +6s, cloud -4.45s, for a net of +1.55s. Perth is generator +27s, could -0.5s, for a net of +26.5s.

Except for Perth, you really don’t gain any appreciable benefit to your smoke duration. This mod will benefit team play, where you are trying to lay a longer length smoke screen to block the oppositions vision.

 

Edited by SavageTactical
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,242
[WOLF3]
Members
6,480 posts
2,422 battles
1 hour ago, senseNOTmade said:

If I remember correctly, the mod increases the time that smoke is laid by 30% while decreasing the duration of the smoke by some amount. This makes it unsuited for British CLs, since they tend to have very short smoke laying times and relatively long smoke durations, meaning that this mod could potentially shorted the overall length of your smokescreens. Keep it for the Perth or USN DDs instead.

Not USN DDS.

Someone ran the numbers in another thread.  Considering the total smoke screen duration, accounting for both the bonus and the penalty, no ship gains more than 2 seconds total duration, except Perth (26 sec!) and Huanghe.

 

Edited by iDuckman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,205
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,816 posts
10,374 battles
1 hour ago, dimzzy said:

I think that dds don't need one because they have to be spotting so this module looks very attractive for light cruisers; Fiji seems to be the primary candidate. Do I miss anything?

As others have pointed out the effect, while it might not be that negative is pretty negligible on RN CL at best if not outright a drawback.

In exchange you sacrifice the other Slot 3 module which could be the far more useful +20% AA range or -7% main gun dispersion modules.

18 minutes ago, SavageTactical said:

I just did the math, and on Fiji this increase the smoke generator duration to 19.5s (+4.5) and decrease the individual cloud duration to 97.85s (-5.14s). This means you net about -0.65s less smoke time. For comparison, here are it’s affects on other ships: Gearing (which has the longest duration smoke) you get generator +9s and cloud -6.5s for a net of +2.5a. Kiev/Akizuki you get generator +6s, cloud -4.45s, for a net of +1.55s. Perth is generator +27s, could -0.5s, for a net of +26.5s.

Except for Perth, you really don’t gain any appreciable benefit to your smoke duration. This mod will benefit team play, where you are trying to lay a longer length smoke screen to block the oppositions vision.

 

Great post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×