You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ComputerWhiz

Anyone else think that the New York is terrible?

53 comments in this topic

Members
587 posts
699 battles

Like almost all the tier 5's, the NY has been power crept, and power crept hard.  Wargaming's insistence on their stupid +2 matchmaker doesn't help matters.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,131 posts
4,972 battles

The New York is not a bad or "terrible" tier 5 battleship if played properly, but in that sense, I wouldn't call her a new player friendly or even solo play friendly ship.

Why? The New York is slow and her secondaries are not great making her easy prey for a competent DD captain. The fact that she is slow also makes positioning and map knowledge important. Plus, her AA is not strong enough to protect her from even a tier 4 Hosho torpedo squadrons or the Langley's bombers or torp planes. Her base AA rating with the hull B upgrade is only 30. That doesn't mean a player cannot perform well in a New York BB, but it takes someone who is good at aiming those American ten 14" guns with the 240 meters of dispersion, who has learned to lead fast weaving DDs, and who is good at anticipating torp spreads to dodge said torps or the majority of them.

Therefore, a New York works best in a 2 or 3 man division with a cruiser or two to be a DD/AA screen for her, especially if she ends up as a low tier in a tier 7 match. Which when you think about it, if WoWs players always played as a coordinated team then cruisers would be doing this to begin with, lol.

New York does a good job of teaching you how to play the New Mexico and Colorado in the US BB line, though.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,661 posts
3,603 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Three is nothing that NY is going to do with inaccurate 356mm guns.  Not to mention there are even Tier VI BBs that can bounce her AP.

I have no problems hit ships with her guns, heck 100k damage games are normal for me

She's slow.  She can't run anyone down.  She can't run away from anyone.

Speed has rarely been a issue for me, but that comes down to my play style. Anything that can shoot me I can hit back. She does well as a kitting ship also. That said every other T5 BB is just as fast minus the Kongo and Guilo Cesar

She's got bad AA.

Just like every other T5 BB minus the Texas, but with BFT and AFT along with the AA mod her AA is pretty good, more than enough to defend herself

She's got bad secondaries.

Yep no excusing that

She's VERY EASY to penetrate and citadel.  At least Omaha can evade.

Sure if you sail broadside or bow on sure, but angling and using that decent rudder shift works wonders. That said every T5 BB is just as easy to penatrate, the Konig has turtle back but it's range is so dang short it isn't hard to stay out of its guns and keep hitting it

There is literally no angle a NY / TX can do to defend itself from other BB gunfire.

Same as above, angle to to incoming fire

It's a floating tinderbox for Cruisers.

Every other T5 BB is a tinder box for Cruisers except for the Kongos and Gulio Ceaser which can at least run out Chase, the rest are not much faster than the NY/Texas

It's a harmless paper target for Battleships.

Hardly since it has the heaviest broadside of any T5 ship and heavier than some T6. It has similar accuracy to the rest of the T5 BBs (except Kongo cause IJN is special), the best penatrating shells and some of the fastest velocity for both T5 and 6

It's a turtle on its back for Carriers.

Again like every other T5 BB minus the Texas, like I said invest in her AA and it's pretty good

It has bad gun angles.

Yep her middle turret is bad yet I have no problem using it thanks to rudder shift

There is nothing the ship is good for.

Sure, sinking captains like you. Heck I 1v1 a Geneisenau week or so ago and won in my Texas, he tried running me down, I kept smacking him with AP, then he tried to torp me and I hit him for 20k dodged the torpedos and finished him off. Done this a couple times because the Scharnhorst sisters like doing the same thing, heck in guilty of it myself in my own Shiney horse

New Yorks are basically "XP Boosts" for other ships to pick up from killing them.

Only if you suck

The only thing impressive about NY is her ability to be easily penetrated and citadeled.

Sure if you sail broadside or bow on in nice straight lines

Seriously just because your not good with a ship doesn't mean it sucks, it means you suck with that ship and it's play style didn't suit you. Since most new players go down the USN BB line first its natural for them to suck and think the ship sucks cause god forbid they admit they don't know what they doing