Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ComputerWhiz

Anyone else think that the New York is terrible?

53 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

85
[BTLST]
Members
381 posts
9,640 battles
6 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Ole Frank knows how to get in the best position, but there is not enough of them to fire the guns

+1 for the laughs! "It's a daisy!" indeed :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
354
[SEOP]
Members
1,511 posts
8,233 battles

i don't sell much back...kind of a wallet warrior so I don't typically need the credits (yes I said it -- and admitting you have a problem is always the first step).  Anywhoo...I invariably go back and drag sh*t out of mothballs for anti-boredom giggles/grins.   Many times I'll have a very different impression of a shipixel when I go back and play it again than the impression I had when first moving through a tech tree.  For me at least I think there is definitely a lot to be said for more game experience before pronouncement of this or that ship being suck @s$ed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
985
[KP]
Beta Testers
2,482 posts
12,181 battles

The New York was a good ship, but so many people played it before we saw the julia roberts and the oktober fest, or even the Texas.

The MM was different back then, as T 4 was not protected like it is now.

So I can understand the concerns relating to the New York with the changes that have been made.

The only response I really can give anyone is this, grind through it to the New Mex, or FXP to the New Mex.

Even if you do this you will find then, you are now up against other ships that were not in the game when the New Mex was, so you will find the exact same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
327
[TDG]
Members
1,604 posts
7,492 battles

Skill will make a difference.

I was in a Tier 8 battle against a Red team that included a fail division with a New York.

That New York survived the battle which they won and even sunk a few of our ships.

That said, it is more difficult to use than Texas.  You really need to forget that the #3 turret exists and watch your angles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,863
[RLGN]
Members
9,747 posts
19,242 battles
1 hour ago, ComputerWhiz said:

I found the Wyoming much more powerful. It's frustrating because I find that the New York is wildly inaccurate when firing and the AP damage appears to be capped at only 1000. Even the turning time for the guns is significantly slower.

You’ve played 200+ battles total.

Go back to New York when you’ve played two-thousand battles in battleships and ask yourself again if New York is ‘bad.’

If it still is; then you haven’t learned to play battleships.

Has New York been power creeped? Certainly; but experience counts for a lot.

See the post by @YeOldeTraveller just above.

31 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Most people who complain about a ship being terrible are the ones who have never learnt to play it.  Aiming is over rated.

 

28 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I don't think the Wyoming is more powerful, it just enjoys better matchmaking.  The New York has to face better competition and it does not scale well against tier 6 and 7's.

 

26 minutes ago, Kyralee said:

I enjoyed my time in the New York and did ok in it, 53% win rate and 1455 WTR.  It's true that you won't get to use that number 3 turret all that much but you still get the front 2 turrets and if you angle right at least one or two of the back turrets.  Against T7 ships it can struggle some but if you pick your battles and targets wisely you can come out on top.  Hopefully you get the ship to work for you and can see it shine.

 

19 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

Power creep and T5 matchmaking have left it in really a bad place. Once upon a time it was actually okay. 

Again; experience means a lot.

I hated New York; but after reaching North Carolina, I went back and played it again, and it seemed like a totally different ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
64
[HIT]
Members
130 posts
7,260 battles

If OP is as green as his battle count suggests, the problem isn’t so much the ship as the shock of reaching T5. A problem for beginners that is compounded by NY’s stock hull and propulsion. Once upgraded I found the ship quite enjoyable.

Newer players should start T5 with the much more user friendly Konig.

Edited by HQ_21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
51 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Most people who complain about a ship being terrible are the ones who have never learnt to play it.  Aiming is over rated.

Gee thanks a lot I nearly choked to death on my coke reading your post I laughed so hard.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
386
[ZIPPO]
Members
1,613 posts
3,603 battles

I like the NY personally, I played her originally when she would see T8 matches (some days I miss the old +/-3 MM), this was back when she had atrocious range also. Her range buff helped her allot in my opinion because even with her bad speed she can still engage the enemy instead of having to waddle across the map. She still has the heaviest alpha strike for T5 with the best penatrating guns mixed with good velocity.

 

That said constant bottom tier matches are hard after a while and most new players come out of the kiddie pool at T5 and I'm assuming because of the NA server most new players go down the USN line first which makes for a disaster. The NY isn't a noob friendly ship yet most noobs end up in her before any other T5 BB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,055 posts
3,394 battles

New York is alright. Its just slow. You feel the pain when upgrading to it at first, but that's natural for most ships. Felt a lot better than playing stock Fuso that's for sure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,687
[WOLF9]
Members
8,347 posts
3,811 battles

New York is okay.  I have a pretty good win rate in her.  Nevertheless, I'm just about to New Mexico:Smile_Default:

 

OP, Texas is available in an amazing $10 sale package.  Buy it.  You'll like it.   And .. Texas!

Wait, the sale is over?  <bleh>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
999 posts
5,408 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

You’ve played 200+ battles total.

Go back to New York when you’ve played two-thousand battles in battleships and ask yourself again if New York is ‘bad.’

If it still is; then you haven’t learned to play battleships.

Has New York been power creeped? Certainly; but experience counts for a lot.

See the post by @YeOldeTraveller just above.

 

 

 

Again; experience means a lot.

I hated New York; but after reaching North Carolina, I went back and played it again, and it seemed like a totally different ship.

Once you get enough experience you can make any ship work. Particularly in the T5-T7 range where you're up against a fair number of new and inexperienced players. That still doesn't make the New York any good. It was okay back when the matchmaking for T5 wasn't terrible and it's only counterpart was the Kongo. But those days are long gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,758
[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,194 posts
7,479 battles

New York is objectively trash. Enjoy your personal hell until you unlock and fully upgrade New Mexico.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,863
[RLGN]
Members
9,747 posts
19,242 battles
3 hours ago, Rocketpacman said:

Once you get enough experience you can make any ship work. Particularly in the T5-T7 range where you're up against a fair number of new and inexperienced players. That still doesn't make the New York any good. It was okay back when the matchmaking for T5 wasn't terrible and it's only counterpart was the Kongo. But those days are long gone. 

New players are spoiled by Caesar and Konig.

I’d sooner trust and older player in a New York, or a Kongo, to play smart, than a new player in one of those two.

Bretange? Ehh... it could go either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,022 posts
509 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 11:28 AM, francesabyss said:

Anyone else think that the New York is terrible?

 

It is utterly garbage but the texas is a god.

The new york is a free ship obviously the texas is not.

New york 0/10 the texas gets a solid 9/10.

has neither.... and says this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,312
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,398 posts
14,354 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 12:03 PM, Belthorian said:

The New York has to face better competition and it does not scale well against tier 6 and 7's.

LOL, when a T6 Cruiser can overmatch the bow on your T5 BB...you're in trouble.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,863
[-K-]
Members
5,988 posts
10,108 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 11:28 AM, Rangestalker said:

New York is a fine ship at Tier 5. It has been power creeped recently but mind your angles and you can do well. 

Agreed.  The other fundamental difference is that Wyoming gets protected matchmaking at T4 and can only face a max of T5 ships.  New York, on the other hand, can face up to T7's and some pretty badass competition up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,159
[DRACS]
Members
4,330 posts

New York is not a really bad ship per se. Her full broadside is actually really powerful. I'd say probably the nastiest at tier 5. But her speed and poor protection bogs were down. Texas alleviates this by turning her AA into something really monstrous at that tier.

I haven't played New York since I grinded past her, but I do play Texas once in a while and I always have fun with that ship. I occasionally grumble because she goes so slow, but then with those 10 shells rip another ship apart, I stop grumbling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
932
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
8,916 battles

New York is a good ship if used right. It feels challenged next to Wyoming because of the wonderful and loved +2 MM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,910
[WOLF3]
Members
18,622 posts
16,995 battles

I love New Yorks.  Very good ships to pad your stats with by attacking them.  They really can't do anything to defend themselves nor cause good damage in return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
386
[ZIPPO]
Members
1,613 posts
3,603 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I love New Yorks.  Very good ships to pad your stats with by attacking them.  They really can't do anything to defend themselves nor cause good damage in return.

And your my favorite players to fight in them because players like always underestimate me. That said they are easy kills because most NY and USN BB players are noobs and is the first line they take, easy tale tells is then trying to sail across the map in the beginning of the match, reversing across the map and firing nothing but HE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,910
[WOLF3]
Members
18,622 posts
16,995 battles
48 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

And your my favorite players to fight in them because players like always underestimate me. That said they are easy kills because most NY and USN BB players are noobs and is the first line they take, easy tale tells is then trying to sail across the map in the beginning of the match, reversing across the map and firing nothing but HE

Three is nothing that NY is going to do with inaccurate 356mm guns.  Not to mention there are even Tier VI BBs that can bounce her AP.

She's slow.  She can't run anyone down.  She can't run away from anyone.

She's got bad AA.

She's got bad secondaries.

She's VERY EASY to penetrate and citadel.  At least Omaha can evade.

There is literally no angle a NY / TX can do to defend itself from other BB gunfire.

It's a floating tinderbox for Cruisers.

It's a harmless paper target for Battleships.

It's a turtle on its back for Carriers.

It has bad gun angles.

 

There is nothing the ship is good for.

 

New Yorks are basically "XP Boosts" for other ships to pick up from killing them.

The only thing impressive about NY is her ability to be easily penetrated and citadeled.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
85
[BTLST]
Members
381 posts
9,640 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Three is nothing that NY is going to do with inaccurate 356mm guns.  Not to mention there are even Tier VI BBs that can bounce her AP.

She's slow.  She can't run anyone down.  She can't run away from anyone.

She's got bad AA.

She's got bad secondaries.

She's VERY EASY to penetrate and citadel.  At least Omaha can evade.

There is literally no angle a NY / TX can do to defend itself from other BB gunfire.

It's a floating tinderbox for Cruisers.

It's a harmless paper target for Battleships.

It's a turtle on its back for Carriers.

It has bad gun angles.

 

There is nothing the ship is good for.

 

New Yorks are basically "XP Boosts" for other ships to pick up from killing them.

The only thing impressive about NY is her ability to be easily penetrated and citadeled.

This is spot on. It's the captain, not the ship. But the best captain still cant really work with something that has nothing going for it. It literally cant protect itself from anything. Sure, it can hit back sometimes, but melting a New York is as easy as pulling the trigger a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×