You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ComputerWhiz

Anyone else think that the New York is terrible?

53 comments in this topic

Members
28 posts
1,026 battles

I found the Wyoming much more powerful. It's frustrating because I find that the New York is wildly inaccurate when firing and the AP damage appears to be capped at only 1000. Even the turning time for the guns is significantly slower.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Keep Grinding they get better the higher you get N.C. Is the start of something beautiful.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,224 posts
12,756 battles

Wyoming wasn't more accurate than NY is, it felt that way because you fired more guns. As for the damage NY's guns do, you're getting a lot of overpens because the guns are very powerful, overpens do very little damage. Try to aim for more substantial parts of enemy ships.

NY is a much more powerful ship than Wyoming was.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,285 posts
25,344 battles

my biggest issue with the New York is that damn lifeboat that blocks the mid turret

• Cool 2

Members
182 posts
728 battles

It is utterly garbage but the texas is a god.

The new york is a free ship obviously the texas is not.

New york 0/10 the texas gets a solid 9/10.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
454 posts
5,571 battles

New York is a fine ship at Tier 5. It has been power creeped recently but mind your angles and you can do well. 

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
1 minute ago, francesabyss said:

It is utterly garbage but the texas is a god.

The new york is a free ship obviously the texas is not.

New york 0/10 the texas gets a solid 9/10.

I never heard Frank Sinatra sing a song about texas

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
182 posts
728 battles
3 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I never heard Frank Sinatra sing a song about texas

I thought he was dead he aint singing anything................

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
Just now, francesabyss said:

I thought he was dead he aint singing anything................

So is the texas

Members
182 posts
728 battles
Just now, CriMiNaL__ said:

So is the texas

Texas can still fight in battle so..........................................

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
1 minute ago, francesabyss said:

Texas can still fight in battle so..........................................

And you can still listen to Frank Sinatra

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,597 battles

I also disliked the New York, so yes other people think New York is a bad ship. The things that made me dislike it were : Soft armor, slow speed, Meh AA and secondaries, especially compared to a lot of power creep tier 5's that have been released since she was first released. For example, compare New York to : October Revolution, which is much faster with more guns which are more accurate and has less superstructure, Julius Caesar which has WAY more speed, more accurate guns, way more concealment, and an OP double bow that cant be overmatched from even 16 inch guns, Kongo which is just so much faster, Bretagne and Iron Duke also have better things going for them... Texas at least has godlike AA even if it's the same class of ship ( Though WW2 spec).

New York is definitely at the bottom of the T5 BB pile if you look at the stats objectively. I would say keep at it though, it starts getting good at New Mexico, which is a good T6 BB apart from it's speed, and Colorado's monster 16 inch super heavy AP shells at T7 also make it a decent ship to work with, and then at North Carolina US BB's have nothing to envy from any other nation's BB's.

Edited by The_Grand_One

Members
182 posts
728 battles
Just now, CriMiNaL__ said:

Guess so........................I am spartacus no i am spartacus........................

Members
142 posts

You get the hull upgrades yet? If I remember correctly, there was some kind of hidden gun performance upgrade with the hull upgrade on the New York that made it a ton better.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
24 minutes ago, ComputerWhiz said:

I found the Wyoming much more powerful. It's frustrating because I find that the New York is wildly inaccurate when firing and the AP damage appears to be capped at only 1000. Even the turning time for the guns is significantly slower.

whenever I'm tempted to play New York I always think these two words:

TEXAS

[MIA-A]
Members
2,040 posts
9,833 battles

Interestingly, besides marginally better gun angles (better on middle turret, slightly worse on rear superfiring) and (obviously) AA, Texas is the same as NY but slower and with a worse rudder.  That AA seems to make all the difference.  Remove those lifeboats on NY, and I think they'd be pretty even.  I like my NY (blacked out Pirate camo for the win), but that AA is lovely on TX.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
3 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Interestingly, besides marginally better gun angles (better on middle turret, slightly worse on rear superfiring) and (obviously) AA, Texas is the same as NY but slower and with a worse rudder.  That AA seems to make all the difference.  Remove those lifeboats on NY, and I think they'd be pretty even.  I like my NY (blacked out Pirate camo for the win), but that AA is lovely on TX.

while I hate to apply French to anything related to Texas...it does have a certain je ne sais quoi

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles

Most people who complain about a ship being terrible are the ones who have never learnt to play it.  Aiming is over rated.

• Funny 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles
47 minutes ago, ComputerWhiz said:

I don't think the Wyoming is more powerful, it just enjoys better matchmaking.  The New York has to face better competition and it does not scale well against tier 6 and 7's.

• Cool 1

[IXM]
Members
195 posts
3,445 battles

I enjoyed my time in the New York and did ok in it, 53% win rate and 1455 WTR.  It's true that you won't get to use that number 3 turret all that much but you still get the front 2 turrets and if you angle right at least one or two of the back turrets.  Against T7 ships it can struggle some but if you pick your battles and targets wisely you can come out on top.  Hopefully you get the ship to work for you and can see it shine.

• Cool 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
32 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

four for texas?

p614_p_v8_aa.jpg

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
380 posts
8,597 battles
6 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

Most people who complain about a ship being terrible are the ones who have never learnt to play it.  Aiming is over rated.

That's not true, as for myself I played New York as a beginner sure, but since then I've had every T5 BB ( Virtually, I'll admit I never tried Bretagne, just sold it and went straight to Normandie) and as such it's a simple matter of being able to compare it objectively to all the other T5 BB's I've played. For example I own ARP Kongo, Texas, Okt. Revolutsyia and Giulio Cesare at the moment. Why would I have kept New York? All those ships are premium T5 BB's so I'll always keep them, and IMO are all a lot more fun and/or powerful/versatile than a New York.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,432 posts
3,875 battles

I did not find New York to be a very comfortable ship. Wyoming, despite being objectively weaker, felt much better to play.

New Mexico, however, is worth the grind.

Members
689 posts
4,383 battles

Power creep and T5 matchmaking have left it in really a bad place. Once upon a time it was actually okay. 

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,834 posts
11,180 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Dirt said:

four for texas?

p614_p_v8_aa.jpg

Ole Frank knows how to get in the best position, but there is not enough of them to fire the guns

• Funny 1