You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Belthorian

Asashio and deep water torpedoes

72 comments in this topic

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,840 battles

I understand why wargaming made the Asashio and what her original intent was. I think she should be altered a bit. Looking at the drafts of most cruisers in WW2 they had a draft of 20 feet plus, some as deep as 28 feet. I think the Asashio's torpedoes need to be adjusted so they can hit cruisers as well. This will make the Asashio more than a one trick pony and make her more useful to the teams she is on. The Essex class CV's only had a draft of 23 feet, the Enterprise 25 feet less than many cruisers. From a logical standpoint if the Asashio's torpedoes can hit CV's than they should be able to hit cruisers. I think she is over specialized and needs to be adjusted to include cruisers in her deep water torpedo strike ability.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,471 battles

No -_-

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
12 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

I understand why wargaming made the Asashio and what her original intent was. I think she should be altered a bit. Looking at the drafts of most cruisers in WW2 they had a draft of 20 feet plus, some as deep as 28 feet. I think the Asashio's torpedoes need to be adjusted so they can hit cruisers as well. This will make the Asashio more than a one trick pony and make her more useful to the teams she is on. The Essex class CV's only had a draft of 23 feet, the Enterprise 25 feet less than many cruisers. From a logical standpoint if the Asashio's torpedoes can hit CV's than they should be able to hit cruisers. I think she is over specialized and needs to be adjusted to include cruisers in her deep water torpedo strike ability.

I highly agree with this kind of thought, they could increase the detection range a little bit, and lower the distance of the torps, to say 14 km for the added benefit of hitting the CA's.

The Asashio uses the same guns as the Yugimo, so it should have them changed to the same ROF as the Yugimo.

• Bad 1

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,021 battles

Will go ahead and say that won’t happen. Ever.

They would have to nerf the heck out of the torps and possible change the TRB + Smoke and you know how often they nerf premiums after they are released right?

Edited by Belyy_Klyk

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I haven't bought asashio, or played much with the PA destroyers. What's the notification of how the deep water torps perform like? (My gut says in true WG form, there is no such in game notification.) Curious, because an asashio repeatedly tried to torp my cruiser yesterday, which was fun.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles

You already have the PADD's that do that. You can imagine the howls if the Asashio can also derp  torp CA's. The torps only give the  BB driver time to say Oh **** when the torps connect.  You want CA drivers to say the same thing also? That would be giving the Asahip driver  an "I Win" button.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,840 battles
11 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Balance > Reality.

The Pan Asian DD's can hit cruisers with their deep water torps, what is the difference?

• Bad 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,406 posts
3,583 battles
2 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

The Pan Asian DD's can hit cruisers with their deep water torps, what is the difference?

they run deeper :P 

• Funny 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

About 12 knots, 4k damage, and torpedo reload booster?

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,840 battles
3 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

they run deeper :P 

ROFLMAO that is funny as heck. Thank you for making me laugh.

• Cool 1

[AWP]
Members
784 posts
3,021 battles
7 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

Pan Asian don’t have 20km, 67 knots, ~21k damage torps with smoke and TRB all while being at tier 8. 

Edited by Belyy_Klyk
  • Cool 2

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles
1 minute ago, cometguy said:

I haven't bought asashio, or played much with the PA destroyers. What's the notification of how the deep water torps perform like? (My gut says in true WG form, there is no such in game notification.) Curious, because an asashio repeatedly tried to torp my cruiser yesterday, which was fun.

You mean, when do you know you're about to get hit?  At 0.9 km distance.  About 5 seconds reaction time. Contrast that with a Type 93 which a stock shima uses which is 2.5 km. Which is 15.5 seconds. Since it takes a normie human 2-3 seconds to react...

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

What if the first set of torps are DW only for BB and the TRB is for everything other than DD, now that would be really interesting.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 minute ago, Bill_Halsey said:

You mean, when do you know you're about to get hit?  At 0.9 km distance.  About 5 seconds reaction time. Contrast that with a Type 93 which a stock shima uses which is 2.5 km. Which is 15.5 seconds. Since it takes a normie human 2-3 seconds to react...

No, I mean, does WG let you know your torps won't work against destroyers, or cruisers in the case of asashio? Or is it a try and see learning experience?

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,840 battles
3 minutes ago, cometguy said:

About 12 knots, 4k damage, and torpedo reload booster?

I bought the Asashio, but have not taken her out yet. My observations are from how I have seen other people play the ship. She seems pigeonholed into a very specific niche and I don't think that is good for gameplay. She is defenseless against cruisers, I know it is supposed to be a rock paper scissors mechanic but I have never been in favor of absolute hard counters. I prefer a system where a skilled player can defeat a bad player in a ship that is supposed to counter the skilled player's ship. If that makes any sense.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 minute ago, Belthorian said:

I bought the Asashio, but have not taken her out yet. My observations are from how I have seen other people play the ship. She seems pigeonholed into a very specific niche and I don't think that is good for gameplay. She is defenseless against cruisers, I know it is supposed to be a rock paper scissors mechanic but I have never been in favor of absolute hard counters. I prefer a system where a skilled player can defeat a bad player in a ship that is supposed to counter the skilled player's ship. If that makes any sense.

I hear you. For tech tree ships, I agree. For premiums, I don't worry too much if they're a one trick pony.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,840 battles
1 minute ago, cometguy said:

I hear you. For tech tree ships, I agree. For premiums, I don't worry too much if they're a one trick pony.

It is off topic but every time I see a post of your and I look at the profile pic I crack up. In my mind all I hear is "I will have you flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog poo out of Hong Kong" and it makes me laugh. That or the world SLACKER jumps into my mind lol.

• Funny 1

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles
9 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

When the ship doesn't have to choose between TRP and smoke? Biiig difference.  A tactic I favor at the beginning of a match is to race to a spot where I can launch torps at the spawn points. Fire a salvo of 2 x 4 fish. Wait 30 seconds..then fire a second salvo. By the time the first salvo hit, the BB's already hit the DC button. So I stack flooding damage when the second salvo hits. That's just for BB's. Imagine when you include CA's into the mix.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,840 battles
1 minute ago, Kongo_Pride said:

image.thumb.png.18dc079e9e4b93400e26b305aab72bcd.png

Well, sir, you represent the 1%. ANY ship you play you are going to play masterfully. However the other 99% she may not perform the same way.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

It is off topic but every time I see a post of your and I look at the profile pic I crack up. In my mind all I hear is "I will have you flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog poo out of Hong Kong" and it makes me laugh. That or the world SLACKER jumps into my mind lol.

So I'm not the only one who immediately thinks of that line.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,997 battles
6 minutes ago, cometguy said:

No, I mean, does WG let you know your torps won't work against destroyers, or cruisers in the case of asashio? Or is it a try and see learning experience?

The port screen when you look at the Asahio's stats does tell you it works only on BB's and CV's. someone shooting Asahiio, Plus the gray targeting zone would go blank when you hit #3 button and you target lock a DD or CA.  The guy who bought it wasn't reading the manual. Unless he wanted to spook you.

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles
1 minute ago, Belthorian said:

Well, sir, you represent the 1%. ANY ship you play you are going to play masterfully. However the other 99% she may not perform the same way.

I think he is agreeing with you, I mean he is under 2k WTR in it, so that's pretty scrubby compared to the rest of his ships, yes please buff, I agree.