You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NAfishyCaptain

Atlanta, rainbow shooter

28 comments in this topic

[KWC]
Members
65 posts
1,129 battles

Hi there, can you please give me what you think about the atlanta, and should I buy her? I have read the reviews and seen them for it, but I would like some more ideas. Thanks.

[POP]
Members
1,165 posts
15,067 battles

Hi

In the right hands it can be a game changer when losing if you can play it right but its not a easy ship I have 1 just played a game and sunk 4 ships which was nice but I am not a expert in her.

Other times I have played its been down right painful you get caught in the open and your toast.

You have to find the right place to park then you can unleash hell on BBs, its also good for eliminating DDs.

Torpedoes are great if you can survive and get close to ship to fire them but its more of suicide run unless your hiding and ambush someone.

If your thinking of buying in game I would wait till there is a USN week or weekend she's a bit pricey at the moment.

Good luck   

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 1

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,831 battles
13 minutes ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

Hi there, can you please give me what you think about the atlanta, and should I buy her? I have read the reviews and seen them for it, but I would like some more ideas. Thanks.

For the price she is listed at now, I would have to say no. She is an AA machine but in my experience getting games with CV'sis rare. When you do have cv's in your game. expect them to avoid you like the plague. My record for shooting down planes in a single match is 21, which is pathetic. Most cv drivers know not to get anywhere near you. Too kill destroyers, expect to have to be at about 5 kilometers if you want to hit them consistently. Her high trajectory shells make her inefficient for that task. Her armor is a joke, if you are spotted expect to die quickly unless you can break contact very quickly. Where she does excel is when paired with a ship that has smoke or when behind an island. If you can start raining down fire on a battleship while undetected it is funny to watch them turn tail and run. In my experience, she is a very niche specific ship and is not a lot of fun to play. I rarely take her out and she has become something of a port queen for me.

[SBS]
Members
2,475 posts
2,253 battles

The Atlanta is a love it or hate it kind of ship.  I'm in the love it camp, but that is a after a lot of time learning how to play it.  The "How to Atlanta" video is fun to watch and makes it look like a no brainer to buy.  What you don't see in that video is how many games where you don't end up doing much because you were never able to get into a good position or you get crushed for poor positioning.  The guns have a short range and rainbow arcs making them a challenge hit and its hard to get into range without exposing yourself.  She is a good AA ship, but CVs will avoid you so you'll likely never get to shoot down many planes (in well over a hundred games I've only been targeted by a CV twice).  I have never bothered spec'ing for AA.  With a fair amount of practice you can start to have the fun you see in the video, just don't expect to get there right away, or to have that kind of success every game.

My advice, buy her if you have the money to burn.  If money is tight and you want a ship you know you're going to like then you should probably pass because she is hit or miss for most people.  

EDIT:

I forgot to mention another issue with the Atlanta, you really want a high skill captain.  The Atlanta doesn't really fit any of your normal USN cruiser captains so its not necessarily a good captain trainer.  A USN DD captain might work better.  A dedicated captain is a good choice if you enjoy the ship.  There are several ways you might set up the Atlanta:

AA ship

Focus on longer range

Focus on IFHE damage

All of these builds require a high skill captain.      

Edited by Slimeball91
  • Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
621 posts

I hated Atlanta when I first bought her - with a bit more experience, she became a monster.

There are few ships better at completing firestarting and citadel missions.  Not unheard of to get 20+ citadels with your AP within 10km per game.

Even better, with her 5" guns, you can use your US DD captains without losing anything in the CO skill department (unless you spec for increased smoke).

I would (as mentioned in previous posts) wait until a possible sale.  Not saying there is going to be one, but since she is in the tech tree for DB you are not going to lose out in getting her one way or the other.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,316 posts
4,264 battles

I loathe this ship. Her firestarting ability is obscene, and her ability (when well handled) to do it from positions where most other ships cannot return fire (and those that can are unable to match her DPS) makes her OP in my opinion. Those rainbow arcs have an upside.

[WOLF6]
Members
678 posts
3,822 battles

Atlanta was one of the first premium ships I bought and it’s my most played premium ship.   I have to say I have gotten my money’s worth playing Atlanta.

Although I have thrown much more money into the black hole called world of warships over 20 or so premium ships.  I haven’t played the other premium ships as much as I have Atlanta.

I am not good enough to play her in random battles, so all of my game play has been in coop and operations.  At tier 7 operations Atlanta does really well.

but I’ve had my fair share of battles where I only lasted 15 seconds into the battle and spent the rest of the battle spectating.  But I’ve had satisfying monster games as well.

Edited by wtfovr

[VOP]
Members
269 posts
7,034 battles
2 hours ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

She took a bit of getting used too, but I like her.  I play her like a big DD with monster AA.  You just need to lead a lot at long range because the shells got into low earth orbit.  If I can, I try to set a fire to use up the repair then press a torpedo attack.

[VVV]
Beta Testers
223 posts
1,916 battles
2 hours ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

She makes "get X ribbons" grind ops easy.....for that alone she's worth buying. 

• Cool 1

[DAY]
Members
1,182 posts
11,734 battles

atlanta is best ship in game, period

highest overall in-game HE DPM at tier 7, i think this alone is enough for you to buy her

[KWRCN]
Beta Testers
110 posts
5,725 battles

Not friendly to new players, but great fun when you are more experienced.

[NBGC]
Members
38 posts
7,317 battles

Go into the match awesoming you will likely die.... but you'll also likely be smiling the whole match.  

It is well ballanced for it's tier.  It  can be challenging especially without some capt pt. investments, but man it is fun.  Sometimes I've sat at my keyboard and just shook my head and felt sotra bad for the guy I just rained 600 shots on,  but with a giggle.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
18,795 battles
3 hours ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

I think it would be a waste of your money. Your stats say you don't need another high tier premium to go out and underperform in. They say you need to stick to tier 4-5 tech tree ships so you can learn the game mechanics better. Atlanta is best with a 17-19 point captain to unlock it's true potential do you have one of those? Then the answer on should you buy it is a resounding NO!

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,134 battles

She's a fun ship, not a great ship, but a fun ship. Difficult to play well. But lot's of fun. You're probably going to die, but it will be fun. And if you get into the right situation, you're deadly. Ideal position is T5-7 (T9 match isn't much fun), centrally positioned behind an island with shots into one or more caps. You can wreck DDs, really piss off BBs, and shut down the airspace against their CV. If you're an experience player looking for a challenge and a lot of fun, then yes. If you're looking for a reliable solid ship to play for experience and wins, then no, definitely not. I really like mine, but only rarely am I going to carry the team in it.

[TBOW]
Members
1,253 posts
10,690 battles

Atlanta, takes getting used, once you learn to play her properly, she is a blast.  Being able to hide behind islands piss fire on unsuspecting ships is fun.   Remember you don't do a lot out in the open if possible.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Beta Testers
85 posts
4,617 battles

I agree with everyone above. A fun ship but can be a royal pain at times. That AA fire is obscene at times. Just the other day I was playing Co-op in a tier 9 match and managed to bag 63 aircraft, 6 ships and over 1200 base XP. For that matchup I don't think I could have had any more fun in another ship.

[-TKS-]
Members
302 posts
5,967 battles
20 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Money better spent on an actual DD like Kidd, Sims, Lo Yang 

Assuming you play random battle and not co-op this is pretty much true. 

Kidd's not available dont know much about the sims but for sure Lo yang is "better" .  just got the atlanta and it really, really needs at least a 14 pt captain on it.  two battles i had with it were amusing however. 

if you play co-op you can buy a row boat and be fine

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
5 hours ago, NAfishyCaptain said:

long lazy arcs.  maps heavily populated with islands are a treat.  situational.  Can be a $h*t load of fun...can also be really un fun on maps lacking terrain.  I had to play atlanta on ocean once many moons ago.  way unfun.  

I use mines a lot when missions can be completed in Co Op, or in tier 7 scenarios\operations.  It really-really excels -- at least for me -- in T7 scenarios.   

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I won the Atlanta in a SC and  Like this ship. It has to be Played right to Perform Consistently.

Don't expect to be Good in this ship from the get go,It takes time to acclimate to it. { Better the Captain the better the Ship}

This ship is a definite Buy IMHO. 

[WOLF5]
Members
276 posts
5,215 battles

I play only co op and operations and the Atlanta is my favorite ship to drive.  When tier 7 operations are in rotation, you'll find me driving the Atlanta all the time.  :cap_haloween:

At tier 7, it is a very unique ship in that it has lots and lots of fast firing guns; useful for taking down DDs and harassing BBs.  It also has UNLIMITED defensive fire, yup, no limit to the no. of times you can use it.

Buy it if you have the chance.

[-TKS-]
Members
302 posts
5,967 battles
33 minutes ago, Cobia_38 said:

just looked at the premium shop, I don't see it available for sale.  anyone know when it will be ?

The atlanta ? its in the Tech Tree