You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TypicalEngineer

Premiun destroyer: Leningrad or Okhotnik

32 comments in this topic

Members
99 posts
1,868 battles

So I need so advice. I'm by no means a dedicated destroyer player but I'm in the middle of switching from cruisers to a more diverse playstyle. I've got some doubloons lying arround that I would like to spend in a oremium Russian destroyer.

Currently I'm torn between the Leningrad and the Okhotnik. Looking at some youtube video's the Leningrad appears to be similair to the Podvoisky and the Okhotnik is just silly

I'm at the Gnevy so far in the Russian line, but I've also got the Anshan and the T-22. I like the Pan Asians for their torps and smoke style and I think it makes a nice contrast with the Russian run and gun style.

I'm doubting whether it is a good idea to go straight for the Leningrad, since I've never played a T7 dd before. However I think I'd really like the playstyle. I have a spare 10 points captain which I can use as commander.

So should I play it safe and go wuth Okhotnik or just jump in the deep witg the Leningrad?

[ICBM]
Members
346 posts
5,135 battles

I really really really like the leningrad. Its got great guns, great speed, hard to hit, decent rudder shift, and decent concealment for its tier. Once you get the hang of the ship, you'll not regret the purchase. I've never played okhotnik, so I cant compare, but based on what I've seen in battles, leningrad is probably the better of the two. 

You will want a 12 point captain to make leningrad truly comfortable:

1)PT

2)LS, EM

3)BFT or DE (I prefer DE)

4)AFT (for gunboat play) or CE (for closer capping)

the 16th point can go into CE if you took AFT for 12th point or AFT if you took CE for 12th point.

you also want to take the turret rotation upgrade. The turrets are really slow, but if you do EM + upgrade then they are okay. I'm guessing you have the special russian captain, so that will help. I'm putting him in my leningrad after the insanity of ranked is over.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,595 posts
3,753 battles

I have bought the Okhotnik and its so unique you can't really compare it to the rest of the VMF DD line. It's purely a meme machine. If I were you, I would grind Gnevny to reach  Minsk. It is practically Leningrad with worse torps. See if you like it, and then decide.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

Okhotnik; Pure fun.

Leningrad: Mini khabarovsk with decent torps.

EDIT: Mini... I meant Baby.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior
  • Cool 2

Members
99 posts
1,868 battles

Alright so Okhotnik is a wierd VMF destroyer, I got that from the videos but it seems silly and fun. And I would not need to spend all my doubloons on her. 

Leningrad looks like a bigger Podvoisky. I did quite good in the Pod and I liked it.

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,353 battles

I don't have Okhotnik but Leningrad is great and more flexible. With CE on your commander you have a nice stealth torp window. Without it you still have the option of mixing torps in while running and gunning and taking on other DDs.

Edited by MasterDiggs

Members
99 posts
1,868 battles

How big is the skill jump from t6 to t7 with DDs? I've only made it to t6 so far.

I'm still tempted by Okhotnik though.

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles
14 minutes ago, TypicalEngineer said:

How big is the skill jump from t6 to t7 with DDs? I've only made it to t6 so far.

I'm still tempted by Okhotnik though.

Okhotnik is a Tier 5 Derzski with real guns, and the closest thing we’re likely to ever get in the game, ever again, to the IJN Kitakami. (Look that up on YouTube Typical!)

Hot May be a too long cruiser without a citadel that maneuvers like a barge; but she can smoke fire with spotting help; ambush from terrain and just about murder anything, or Derpski charge and do the same.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[INTEL]
Members
6,671 posts
25,818 battles

Okhotnik is gimmicky and fun.

Leningrad is a beast. One of the best in the line.

If I had a choice, I would go for Leningrad (I have both and am a DD main).

Caveat: If you are not a higher tier player I would not recommend a jump. I would advise you get to Minsk (similar to Leningrad with shorter torps), and once you are comfortable in it Leningrad is a choice. Minsk is very powerful and excellent in its own right. As most RU ships, torps are not the main weapon.

The Viking Longboat's torps are very scary but very short ranged. Nobody in their right mind will let you close in. It is fun with all those guns and torps, but the guns are slow, the boat turns like a cow, and it is tougher to escape.

[O_O]
Members
4,432 posts
9,613 battles

Okhotnik is silly fun.

Leningrad is serious fun.

Jumping from T6 to T7 isn't a big deal, IMO.  You will be doing it soon with a tech tree ship, anyway.  Leningrad will work better as a captain trainer and will earn more silver for you.  She will also be available for more missions/scenarios.

I bought Okhotnik when she was first released.  I had been wanting Leningrad for a while, and very recently got her with the doubloons from the four Steam ship bundles.  If you can have only one, I would say Leningrad.

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,816 posts
4,167 battles

I have both and am by no means a DD main.  

For fun and giggles - Ohotnik.  Any T5 DD that thinks itself a 'gunboat' just gets laughed at by this thing.  But it is fragile and has a hard time dodging torps or enemy fire.  Guns reload a bit slow for a DD.  And they rotate slow.  But all but one or two (I forget, given this thing has so many) rotate 360.  So changing sides isn't a huge deal.  

For serious game play and captain training - Lenny by a mile.  It's a Russian DD that actually has useful torps.  And if you can do well in the Pud, you should excel in the Lenny.  Lenny is a DD that can do well in Ops as well.  I think @Lightninger has some YouTube vids of it playing in Ops.  

Members
99 posts
1,868 battles

Just bought Okhotnik. First game was ok in it. Will need to adjust but for now I think I like it. At lot of alpha damage and sillyness!

[TDD]
Members
906 posts
7,945 battles

Okhotnick. her guns are murder and if anything lets you get close enough for that wall o torps ...well bad day for them.

great at deleting DDs, not bad with Cruisers, and can burn those big heavies

I don't get a lot of Krakens but I have gotten most of the ones I have gotten in the 'Hot

[TOG]
Members
2,489 posts
15,057 battles

I'd go for the Leningrad. I stuck the special VMF CO in her. I tend to stick to just BFT because of the gun bloom. If you take SE, what you get is a T7 Khab with good torps. You might want to take torpedo reload as well. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles

The Okhotnik and Leningrad play very differently.  I own both, BTW.  

The Leningrad is very much a traditional Russian, run-and-gun style DD.  A baby Khab, as a previous poster put it.  The Leningrad just happens to have usable 8 km torpedoes.

As for the Okhotnik, I suggest that one not get suckered into trying to be too aggressive with all its torpedoes.  They are 4 km ones after all.  They're really more for ambush situations where you can catch an enemy coming around the corner of an island too closely.  I suppose that one could try to use the Okhotnik as a traditional run and gun Russian DD, but in my experience, it played better when you were more cautious with it.  Trying to use islands to shoot over and smoke shooting are both very effective tactics for the Okhotnik.  And don't be afraid to look for potential ambushes.  Just don't try to force the issue, because that's the easy way to die fast and bloody.  One last point.  The Okhotnik with a CE trained captain has excellent concealment, so don't be afraid to play the role of spotter for your team on occasion.  You can also contend for caps, but your slow RoF can make cap brawling with other DDs rather painful.  I usually prefer to avoid cap brawling enemy DDs, except perhaps for same or lower tier IJN ones, and use my concealment to spot them for friendlies.

• Cool 1

Members
99 posts
1,868 battles

Well so far I have bern trying to push caps with limited succes in Okhotnik. I have a 10 point captain in her with PM, Last Stand, BFT and AFT. 

I'm thinking about exchanging AFT for CE. Most of my engagements are closer ranged and I can really use the stealth to move arround the map and escape. 

So far I think I'm to aggressieve with Okhotnik and need to tone it down a bit.

But the alpha strike is there. Managed to nail an Emerald with multiple citadels for 10k damage! 2k volleys on  DD's are no exception.

Any advice?

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
24 minutes ago, TypicalEngineer said:

Well so far I have bern trying to push caps with limited succes in Okhotnik. I have a 10 point captain in her with PM, Last Stand, BFT and AFT. 

I'm thinking about exchanging AFT for CE. Most of my engagements are closer ranged and I can really use the stealth to move arround the map and escape. 

But the alpha strike is there. Managed to nail an Emerald with multiple citadels for 10k damage! 2k volleys on  DD's are no exception.

Any advice?

See what Crucis posted above your comment. CE is a better first pick indeed :)

Congrats on the ship btw! 

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

Members
99 posts
1,868 battles

Thanks! I'm liking the ship so far, but takes some getting used to. I will respec into CE and be a bit more cautions.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,786 battles
1 hour ago, TypicalEngineer said:

Any advice?

I made a few posts in this previous forum thread that will be of some help.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/147539-ifhe-on-okhotnik-and-leningrad/

To answer your main question though, (and I saw you already got the Okhotnik) both of them are worth getting.

Leningrad is very strong destroyer (and to me is the strongest one in its tier) with competitive concealment, great guns, stealth torp ability, excellent speed. If any destroyer has carry potential, this is one of them, granted you want a high skill captain to go along with it preferably. I ground out a 12 point captain with the Murmansk before even using the Leningrad once. It is also my favorite ship in the game so I guess I could be a little biased sometimes for it but that aside, there's no denying how good it is. And unlike what @Crucis says, it's not just a run and gun ship. If that's how you want to choose to play it, that's fine, but you're not using it to its full potential.

Okhotnik is strong in its own right, with second best concealment in its tier. (only beaten by Kamikaze and look alikes at 5.4 km, and is a hard counter to them as well) It has a crazy amount of guns and torpedoes for insane alpha damage. It can carry a game sometimes if things go badly, but is far less capable of it compared to the Leningrad. This a ship that I take out to have fun and troll in, while still being a major pain in the butt to the enemy team.

If that was all tl:dr, Leningrad is a very strong destroyer, is a ship I pick when I want to play serious, kick major butt, and win. Definitely worth the purchase. Okhotnik is a ship with strong alpha, strong in a different way, and is simply fun to take out because of it. Also worth the purchase. If I were to pick one, it would be the Leningrad, and I would strongly encourage you to also get it.

And @ZARDOZ_II, you are correct as I do have two replays of the Leningrad in Ultimate Frontier uploaded in my own channel, and Lord Zath also has two Leningrad operations replays uploaded that I sent to him, one in Narai and one in Ultimate Frontier.

Edited by Lightninger
  • Boring 1

Members
99 posts
1,868 battles

Thanks for the reply and all the help! I think I'll get the Leningrad once I'm more experienced in destroyers and use the Okhotnik to grind out the captain in the mean time.

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,402 battles

Find a way to get both. 

Leningrad is just an amazing ship with proper captain spec.  It can do it all, even uptiered to T9.  

Get okhotnik on the off chance you can one day play in a triple gun canoe division.  Amazing LOLs await you. 

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,397 battles

I think a Leningrad with EM, LS, and CE is THE best T7 DD.  Very well balanced.  Good guns, good torps, great speed, and even good conceal which is unusual for a Russian DD.