You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KalishniKat

Cyclones and CVs

8 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,506 battles

This is a horrible game mechanic. As ships wander around blind trying to find each other in this "cyclone" aircraft apparently are totally unhindered. I guess they are some sort of all weather WW2 planes that can fly through storms. Meanwhile your ability to detect them goes down. So all a CV has to do is send his special all weather WW2 planes to fly around and hit the nearly blind ships. This is ridiculous as weather would have grounded the planes in anything approaching reality. Bad bad mechanic. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[PVE]
Members
5,650 posts
18,236 battles

I agree, in a real cyclone nothing would be flying low enough to see the ocean not to mention any ships at least in the timeframe the game takes place. The one thing that weather does for the game is break up the complete and utter monotony of the game, other than that, could live without it.

Beta Testers
1,306 posts
6,556 battles

Aircraft aren’t totally unhindered.  They have the exact same spotting range as you, so until you can see them they can’t see you.

Having played both sides of the equation, the best way to counter aircraft in cyclones is to make unpredictable turns after you’re first spotted.  Usually the CV will break vision because he’s too close to drop, circle around just outside of spotting range and come back with the proper attack angle.  In a BB it’s difficult to do much but a DD or a cruiser can really screw things up by altering their turn during that window between first contact and the drop.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,328 posts
6,609 battles
2 hours ago, KalishniKat said:

in anything approaching reality

Despite your statements regarding planes being false, as they are also affected by the storm, I wonder why is it that people use reality to underline their requests. Like, this game is not representing reality. If I watched a Replay, I could talk non-stop about all the unrealistic things I see happening right in front of me. But no, appearantly the planes being unrealistic are such a big issue...

• Cool 3

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
559 posts
6 hours ago, KalishniKat said:

This is a horrible game mechanic. As ships wander around blind trying to find each other in this "cyclone" aircraft apparently are totally unhindered. I guess they are some sort of all weather WW2 planes that can fly through storms. Meanwhile your ability to detect them goes down. So all a CV has to do is send his special all weather WW2 planes to fly around and hit the nearly blind ships. This is ridiculous as weather would have grounded the planes in anything approaching reality. Bad bad mechanic. 

Have you tried playing a CV in a storm?

Your planes cant spot a ship until it is almost within the drop circle. None of this knowing where the ship is 10km away and circling for a proper manual drop, it fire from the hip, or overshoot and lose half your squad to aa fire while it turns around.

A Cyclone benefits the BB more than it does the CV.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

Actually, yes. It is really an awful mechanic. I can't shoot down planes with my fighters during cyclone, all the ships in the game become targets because the enemies get about 15 seconds of AA firing time, not only that, but most CAs don't get the reaction time to turn on DFAA. Of course, it's nice to not have to worry about cancer AA or fighters for five minutes though. It's nice to have a couple minutes of de-stress where I can kill the damage farms, err BBs. 

[VOP]
Members
275 posts
7,063 battles
5 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

Despite your statements regarding planes being false, as they are also affected by the storm, I wonder why is it that people use reality to underline their requests. Like, this game is not representing reality. If I watched a Replay, I could talk non-stop about all the unrealistic things I see happening right in front of me. But no, appearantly the planes being unrealistic are such a big issue...

People like playing the reality card when they want to try to nerf/buff something or when something hampers their rigid style of play.

Planes spotting ships in a cyclone in the game are quite bad, even a bit worse than ships spotting ships.  Plenty of times I have used friendly ships to spot just to get a red outline to fly toward.  Many times I had to circle before the enemy solidified on the map, all the while it was firing AA at the planes unhindered.

If reality is wanted, no CV operations should take place during a cyclone.  I could not imaging trying to drop torpedoes or dive bomb during such conditions.  But, in this case, WG should rewrite the code so there is never a cyclone in a match with a CV or the CV would just be sitting there with its thumb up its butt.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

The cyclone isn't much of a cyclone, because there's no wind. Wind makes waves, the higher the wind, the bigger the waves. The minimum wind speed for a cyclone would generate waves 50 feet high.