You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ComputerWhiz

Can Steam players move to the standalone WOWS client?

9 comments in this topic

Members
26 posts
1,011 battles

Originally joined the game using Steam because I liked having my games all in one place, but I've had some reliability issues with Steam. Can users who signed up through Steam use their account to play through the standalone WOWS client instead? I noticed on the website that I can unlink my Steam account from my WOWS account.

Looking through Google I see that the two accounts aren't transferrable, but those threads were from when WOWS first came out on Steam, so I'm just wondering if things have changed?

[TBW]
Members
6,398 posts
12,011 battles
1 hour ago, ComputerWhiz said:

Originally joined the game using Steam because I liked having my games all in one place, but I've had some reliability issues with Steam. Can users who signed up through Steam use their account to play through the standalone WOWS client instead? I noticed on the website that I can unlink my Steam account from my WOWS account.

Looking through Google I see that the two accounts aren't transferrable, but those threads were from when WOWS first came out on Steam, so I'm just wondering if things have changed?

Did you try to log on through the regular game client with steam turned off?

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,413 posts
3,337 battles

I never tried it myself, but I think you can. Once you sign up for this game through Steam, you can come to WoWs official site and complete the registration so the account becomes the standard WG account. Thus, when you log into your account (say, like for this forum), you can log in through Steam (there's a button you can click right there on the login page) or you can log in normally by using the IGN and the separate password you assigned when you completed the registration. I just flip flop whenever I log into this website (lol) and both methods simply work. Thus, I would assume that it would be also true for the game itself.

But please don't quote me on that, and take my post with a grain of salt. WG's own client launcher somehow refuses to download the files (I donno why), hence why I play through Steam. I never tried directly logging into the game thru the standard WG client.

Edited by Blorgh2017

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,413 posts
3,337 battles
23 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Did you try to log on through the regular game client with steam turned off?

Sorry for the double post, but I don't think he can. There's no executable file in the WoWs folder under the Steam version, it seems.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,720 posts
26 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Sorry for the double post, but I don't think he can. There's no executable file in the WoWs folder under the Steam version, it seems.

Look in Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\(whatever they call WoWS directory)

Or go into your Steam client, Game Library, right click on the game, go to properties, click the tab for local files, then browse local files.

There is always an executable. I had to bypass the Steam Launcher to get FFXIV working

Edited by Wombatmetal

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,413 posts
3,337 battles
12 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

Look in Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\(whatever they call WoWS directory)

Or go into your Steam client, Game Library, right click on the game, go to properties, click the tab for local files, then browse local files.

I donno, I don't see any EXE file...

Spoiler

derpyderp.thumb.png.96a5a3675fbed3b93be73d96a10773b4.png

[NMKJT]
Members
2,720 posts
24 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I donno, I don't see any EXE file...

Reveal hidden contents

derpyderp.thumb.png.96a5a3675fbed3b93be73d96a10773b4.png

Has to be one somewhere. I am downloading the steam game to see but that will take a bit

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,413 posts
3,337 battles
1 minute ago, Wombatmetal said:

Has to be one somewhere. I am downloading the steam game to see but that will take a bit

Ah, I found it. It was hidden somewhere else. Under steamapps/common/World of Warships/bin/clientrunner/ . Sneaky WG, hoping that people won't find it. xD

[NMKJT]
Members
2,720 posts
8 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Ah, I found it. It was hidden somewhere else. Under steamapps/common/World of Warships/bin/clientrunner/ . Sneaky WG, hoping that people won't find it. xD

Nice. Tricksy they are