Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Tier 7 isn't the same anymore.

9 comments in this topic

Members
2,128 posts
4,750 battles

Ever since matchmaker changes to Tier 5 and 6, 7 has been lauded as the sweet spot because it's often top tier, and even when bottom tier, it only sees up to Tier 9. That has been the case for me since I started playing Tier 7, it's definitely the tier where I'm most likely to be top tier. However, it seems to me that for the last two weeks, the frequency of Tier 7 being mid or bottom tier has increased by quite a lot, even during my 'prime time' which is 2-4 PM in PST. Has anyone else playing Tier 7 experienced the same? Will Tier 7 go back to "normal"? I have done well in a handful of Tier 8 and the occasional Tier 9 match, but it's not fun compared to what it used to be, and gameplay at high tier is often WORSE than gameplay at Tiers 4-7.

Members
469 posts
12,414 battles

Boo frigging hoo, Now you feel the pain of tiers 5 & 8.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[PVE]
Members
5,594 posts
18,173 battles

It probably is just due to high tier player population being lower in the Random queue. Maybe due to the Ranked session going on, hard to know. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,931 battles

Pretty sure any sudden MM changes with tier VII might be due to the fact Ranked is draining some of the tiers 8 players out of Randoms. Will likely settle down after Ranked is finished.

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,651 battles

T7s distribution has nothing to do with T5 and T6 having +2/-1. T7 isn't even frequently top tier. T8 is far more populated because of silver grinding.

With Warships Today dead in the water I can't provide numbers, but this is the general trend. There are a lot of people at T7-8. There are also a lot of people at T5-6, but nowhere near as many relative to T7-8. T9-10 are decently populated as well. There are more players at T9-10 than T4 and below, but a bit less than T5-6. The result is a small number of games where T5-6 can be top tier, but also a small number of games where T7 can be top tier.

In order to be top tier more often, there have to be more people below you than above you. That isn't true at any tier except T9-10 and that's by definition. T9 is +1/-2 and T10 is +0/-2. Every WG game works this way. This is the price of the f2p model. WG wants you to play high tier and buy high tier premiums. It is no surprise that most long term content is T8-10 exclusive.

Edited by awildseaking

Beta Testers
1,296 posts
6,538 battles

Perhaps this is because Ranked is pulling out tier 8's and tier 10's from the Random queue?  With less tier 8 and tier 10,  tier 9 ships have a better chance of dragging in tier 7s to complete a team.  I have no idea what the actual population splits of ranked/randoms are though, so it would really just be nothing.

Sign in to follow this