You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

Does anyone have any ranked tips?

49 comments in this topic

[SPF]
Members
105 posts
10,709 battles

dont be discouraged by some of the comments. We were all potatoes at some stage and ranked/clan battles are a different animal so there is only so much you can learn from randoms/coop. Go and play the T8 ranks. Critically evaluate your performance and take into account some of the salt that will inevitably be thrown in your direction. Going to T10s will be an entirely different ball game, because any mistakes will usually  be heavily punished. 

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
2,031 posts
5,632 battles
2 hours ago, Sou1forge said:

Do yourself a favor and don't go in it the first time expecting to rank out. The difficulty curve is exponential. Do it to learn. Ranked, despite what people want you to do, is one of the better places to experiment. There is more of a "meta" when it comes to ship locations and tactics, so you will be able to get a grasp on what places work for what ships. Play it like a chess game if you can, and be sure to tell people what you are doing. It's a different mindset than randoms, where the goal is kill as many ships as possible. You should be thinking "if I was X ship where would I go", then attempting to utilize your ship in a way that counters that. As an IJN CA that usually means flanking around known radar cruiser spots and DD hiding holes to get angles where they are pinned by your teammates. Leave the BB killing to others, but as always if there isn't anything better to do, or all the good areas are covered, then whallop on those BBs. It's better than nothing.

tl;dr    Make mistakes, learn what you can and can't do, THEN focus on ranking out. You will thank yourself later when you know how to do ranked, and your teammates are still going to their same old spots doing their same old things earning their same old win rate.

^ This is GREAT advice. 

One thing you will notice is that as you move up to each successive league (to 15, then to 10, then to 5) there is going to be a significant increase in the skill level of the players you are facing.  You'll be tooling along just fine at Rank 11, the ruler of all you survey having finally figured out Ranked, then you get to 10 and realize that you don't know anything.  People will be one shotting you from the moon, torps will magically appear out of nowhere, you'll have no idea who is shooting you or where they might be and the sky will fall directly on your ship and squish you like a bug.  

This is one of the most valuable learning opportunities you are going to get in WOWS. 

Yes, you can figure out how to last more than the first 10 seconds of the game, you can figure out where those torps and shells are coming from and eventually you'll figure out how to dodge those pieces of sky that keep falling on you.  This isn't stuff you're likely to learn as well in Random because both the great and the horribly unskilled will be flailing about in the great Random Bathtub together, but climb high enough in Ranked, you're going to be pitted against better and better players and you'll learn more advanced techniques simply to survive.  There's nothing quite like it. 

[AP]
Members
1,229 posts
13,071 battles

tier 8 games:

i suggest BB, any BB would do.

cruiser fire takes too long to kill enemy

DD torp can DS 1 enemy per volley, but reload is waaaaaaaaaaaay too long

BB AP works the best, every 30 seconds you have the potential of DS-ing a cruiser, or taking half HP off DD, or 1/3HP off enemy BB

teammates and enemies that are still at this rank at this time are simply horrible, you need the ship with maximum carry potential to guarantee win rate

R10 ~ R6 bracket:

DD meta is real, radar cruiser or khaba works well, or alternatively you can be the DD yourself

zao also works, as long as you are accurate enough to actually heavily damage enemy DD(4k+) after they run into friendly DD

R5 bracket:

dont DD, at this bracket most people knows to focus enemy DD, and BB AP on DD hurt like hell

BBs want you dead, radar cruisers want you dead, DPM cruisers want you dead, even enemy radar YueYang want you dead

literally, EVERYONE focus fire DD the moment it is spotted, even if BB is 16km from DD when it light up

this environment is EXTREMELY hostile towards destroyers

this happened on my 2nd last game today, i was in a montana 14km from the gearing

GxwpjSw.png

dont radar cruiser(des moines or moskva)

radar spots are extremely limited, and everyone pretty much knows where the cruisers are gonna be at

2zOtGek.png

DS'd an enemy des moines like this tonight, he was 21km from me, 40k HP left, boom and he's gone

radar cruisers have horrible experience at this bracket

BB AP from outside your rendering range hurt too much

on the other hand, you can try DPM cruisers like HIV hind zao, but WR most likely not gonna be too high so.....

i recommend BB for R5 bracket, especially republique and montana

one has excellent penetration and ROF and speed, the other has excellent tight grouping of 406AP and high arc to climb over weird mountains to DS radar cruisers

T7:

dont even think about it

we've been trying to get a T10 going for like 1 month last season

i dont think they even get ONE TX game going last season

plus, if you actually made it this far, i'm 99% sure you will be completely sick of ranked and not want to go back into it

side note: ranked is a good place to practice your skills, if you truly want to improve, do more ranked games, dont mind the win/loss that much, just focus on the game itself, confess why you lose if you do, you will see significant skill improvement if you can persist through the season

Edited by jason199506
  • Cool 3

[BNKR]
Members
459 posts
2,865 battles

As someone considering dipping his toes into ranked, some great advice here. Gonna run out of upvotes. 

Good thread, OP.

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,127 battles
5 hours ago, landedkiller said:

I am asking for tips for ranked battles right now I am at rank 17 and I would like to see how far I can get. I am primarily using Mogami with an ifhe setup and Atago with a conclealment setup. My goal is to then switch to Zao once I get to the tier 10 ranked battles and then finish off with Southern Dragon and Northern Dragon(Myoko clones conclealment setup) at tier 7 ranked or Belfast. I want to push as far as I can with these ships. I chose ships that I am most familiar with. so any tips?

5 hours ago, landedkiller said:

I am asking for tips for ranked battles right now I am at rank 17 and I would like to see how far I can get. I am primarily using Mogami with an ifhe setup and Atago with a conclealment setup. My goal is to then switch to Zao once I get to the tier 10 ranked battles and then finish off with Southern Dragon and Northern Dragon(Myoko clones conclealment setup) at tier 7 ranked or Belfast. I want to push as far as I can with these ships. I chose ships that I am most familiar with. so any tips?

Rank is not about how good you are but rather how much grinding frustration you can handle , it is the ultimate grind and literally any one can get to rank 1 ...just play play play play add hundreds more play and you’ll get there .. 1 step forward 2 steps back... dam I’m negetive eh ... I can’t handle more than 30 Ranked games, but do like the more intense team play though, good luck with it ..

. Zao tip , love this boat, run the spotter plane for campers, she has very accurate guns run as stealthy as you can ,when firing if undetected start your turn and only fire when past broadside so your less exposed and get a better grouping.. good luck and have fun 

Members
1,199 posts
3,156 battles

I've held a winrate over 65% this season (so far). Here's my number one tip:

C O M M U N I C A T E

I also find that having the whole team stay together and push one objective works the best. Encourage your team to shoot destroyers, call out targets, win the knife fights, burn the battleships, citadel the cruisers, and you might be surprised how many people do better with a little communication. 

[CANNS]
Members
5 posts
5,844 battles

Drink beer,  it will help you deal with your teammates that know what they are doing.  In all seriousness, don't get frustrated,  be patient and if you feel you aren't getting anywhere, take a break.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,445 battles
3 hours ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Rank is not about how good you are but rather how much grinding frustration you can handle , it is the ultimate grind and literally any one can get to rank 1 ...just play play play play add hundreds more play and you’ll get there

This often repeated meme isn't true. Even the people who take 1000+ games to rank out are decent players that hold at least a 55% winrate in random battles. To be able to "brute force" ranked and grind it out by the numbers with a less than 50% ranked winrate, you're going to need to consistently make first place on many of your losing battles. It doesn't matter if you play 1000 games or 10,000 games. If you can't keep your stars, you're just going to fall back on any progress you've made. I was able to pull that off one season, with a 49.56% winrate, but it took me 573 games and I was a decent player at that point. I wouldn't have been able to pull it off back when I was greener.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,683 posts
3,820 battles

I want to thank everyone for all the advice going to pay attention and communicate. Furthermore going to be bringing out Atago more thank you everyone. Map awareness as well lol. 

[ARGSY]
Members
9,570 posts
6,243 battles
17 hours ago, Visidious said:

You can count your damage when the winnings done

"You never count your XP when you're fighting in the battle

There'll be time enough for counting when the end-screen comes."

I'm just thankful I have NO Tier 10 ships so there is absolutely no pressure on me to even TRY to rank out. I'm hoping the next season is in a tier where I have a lot more experience (except in Tier 7 all the people who were able to get a Belfast will probably bring one and it will be hell, but whatever) and it's just one tier from beginning to end.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[AP]
Members
1,229 posts
13,071 battles
8 hours ago, Ju87s said:

This often repeated meme isn't true. Even the people who take 1000+ games to rank out are decent players that hold at least a 55% winrate in random battles. To be able to "brute force" ranked and grind it out by the numbers with a less than 50% ranked winrate, you're going to need to consistently make first place on many of your losing battles. It doesn't matter if you play 1000 games or 10,000 games. If you can't keep your stars, you're just going to fall back on any progress you've made. I was able to pull that off one season, with a 49.56% winrate, but it took me 573 games and I was a decent player at that point. I wouldn't have been able to pull it off back when I was greener.

^that

considering a perfect average player, out of 14 games he would win7 lose6 keep1star, which means 1 net star gain per 14 games

so from rank5 you need 20 stars to rank out, so you should take less than 280 games to rank out

and if you dont get out before 280 games above r5...........chances of ranking out after that is almost non-existent

[MIA-P]
Members
655 posts
6,061 battles
8 hours ago, Ju87s said:

24 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

^that

considering a perfect average player, out of 14 games he would win7 lose6 keep1star, which means 1 net star gain per 14 games

so from rank5 you need 20 stars to rank out, so you should take less than 280 games to rank out

and if you dont get out before 280 games above r5...........chances of ranking out after that is almost non-existent

As it happens, I've dedicated rather a lot of time to this question, so I can give a bit more of an empirical answer.

5af5c1429e89c_ScreenShot2018-05-11at17_07_18.png.90973c75f840b175ab92cb315ae6c4e1.png

This graph shows the random battle winrates of 153 randomly selected rank 1 players from the 8th season of ranked battles, relative to the number of battles they needed to reach rank 1. You can see that several people with <50% winrates in random did reach rank 1, and that those people tended to require around 500-1000 battles to do so. Overall, the average RB winrate of the sampled rank 1 players was 58.3%. If I weight peoples' RB winrates by the number of battles they required to reach rank 1, the average winrate becomes 56.9%.

Now as to the claim that one can 'keep one's star' to rank 1:

5af5c32245f04_ScreenShot2018-05-11at17_12_36.png.8718cef4fbbb54f7d9d7517db56e8ad2.png

This is the same graph but this time the orange dots represent peoples' "rate of good loss", which is the percentage of games which they lost but kept a star (either because they were at an irrevocable rank or because they were top of the team). What you can see is that while higher winrate players had a greater variability in their rate of good loss, the average rate of good loss is about the same or even slightly lower for the low winrate players. This indicates that these people did not 'keep one's star' to rank 1. They just kept grinding for longer.

If you want more details, follow the link in my sig.

• Cool 1

[AP]
Members
1,229 posts
13,071 battles
12 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

As it happens, I've dedicated rather a lot of time to this question, so I can give a bit more of an empirical answer.

5af5c1429e89c_ScreenShot2018-05-11at17_07_18.png.90973c75f840b175ab92cb315ae6c4e1.png

This graph shows the random battle winrates of 153 randomly selected rank 1 players from the 8th season of ranked battles, relative to the number of battles they needed to reach rank 1. You can see that several people with <50% winrates in random did reach rank 1, and that those people tended to require around 500-1000 battles to do so. Overall, the average RB winrate of the sampled rank 1 players was 58.3%. If I weight peoples' RB winrates by the number of battles they required to reach rank 1, the average winrate becomes 56.9%.

Now as to the claim that one can 'keep one's star' to rank 1:

5af5c32245f04_ScreenShot2018-05-11at17_12_36.png.8718cef4fbbb54f7d9d7517db56e8ad2.png

This is the same graph but this time the orange dots represent peoples' "rate of good loss", which is the percentage of games which they lost but kept a star (either because they were at an irrevocable rank or because they were top of the team). What you can see is that while higher winrate players had a greater variability in their rate of good loss, the average rate of good loss is about the same or even slightly lower for the low winrate players. This indicates that these people did not 'keep one's star' to rank 1. They just kept grinding for longer.

If you want more details, follow the link in my sig.

ive read(and replied lol) your original post

though it's been a while and i forgot some of the details

[-TKS-]
Members
467 posts
7,843 battles

For ranked all you have to do is buy a tier 8 premium and jump in , youll be carried to Rank 10 eventually . Seen A rank 14 with 140 ranked battles and 190 random. he did nothing on the team in the lo yang. and i mean nothing not even as a shooting target .  The only reason i know is i ran into him 2x  .  Its even easier if you many tier 8's , play , die , take a new ship out and repeat.  

[HOT]
[HOT]
Members
424 posts
10,681 battles

dont play on fridays, weekends or weekdays after 3pm cst. All the griefers, trolls, and general asshats come out. They dont play like a team and instead yolo solo like its random battles.

[BBP]
Members
341 posts
5,569 battles

Try not to lose your **** if you die while building a nice lead for your team and then watch helplessly as your team gives the win to the other team.  I've seen that all to often.

I watched us lose a game the other day where we had 2 caps and were up like 980 to 700 in points.  We had one DD left vs a Yamato and Des Moines.  We're all telling him to go hide in the chat.  After hiding most of the game he decides he's brave and ignores us and tries to farm damage on the Yamato.  He tries to torp, misses, gets spotted, then the DM flanks and him kills him.  

That's like a football game where a team has a lead and the ball with 20 seconds on the clock and no timeouts for the other team.  Instead of taking a knee (victory formation) they decide to throw a hail mail which is intercepted and returned for a touchdown....  Ya our team was pretty pizzed.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,127 battles
8 hours ago, Ju87s said:

I beg to differ but I very much doubt that Wows makes there top priority how good a player can be or become by playing ranked, but rather how much $$$$ can they get for the  playing, if a player is top each game he will obviously proceed much faster but if your not the best player and never in a game we’re you don’t loose a star on a loss, what will happen is you will eventually string enough wins together to advance and certainly you will learn what works and what doesn’t if your not the best,

really the thing is is how many good teams can you get on to advance ,if that is the case, is it  blind luck? Or some influence? Play a couple hundred to rank out or double triple that ..it’s doable 

I honestly believe that there is an individual algorithm that each player has slanted ever so slightly one way or the other so you rise to the occasion or not that basically generates the most money for Wows,

just leaveing this game to 100% chance is not something our Russia friends would leave to chance

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,445 battles
1 hour ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

what will happen is you will eventually string enough wins together to advance and certainly you will learn what works and what doesn’t if your not the best,

For sake of discussion, lets ignore the ranks up through 11 and assume it's possible for any player to progress through those ranks. At ranks 10-6, a less-than-average player would have to string together 20 wins with no losses to progress to the premier league. For that kind of player, that is going to take a huge amount of luck, and the odds are certainly against them. If they play at less than 50% in randoms, they are likely to be playing a much less in ranked. From Rank 5, they would have to string together another 20 wins with no losses, with a bunch of players far out of their league. A less-than-average player isn't going to come in first and save their stars. You really do have to be somewhat of a decent player to rank out, and it really is untrue that "literally anybody" can rank out. Is it technically possible that somebody could get extremely lucky and get carried all that way? Yeah, sure, but it's highly improbable.

Try to find some examples of less-than-average players ranking out.

Edited by Ju87s

[ARRGG]
Members
4,863 posts
8,127 battles
2 hours ago, Ju87s said:

For sake of discussion, lets ignore the ranks up through 11 and assume it's possible for any player to progress through those ranks. At ranks 10-6, a less-than-average player would have to string together 20 wins with no losses to progress to the premier league. For that kind of player, that is going to take a huge amount of luck, and the odds are certainly against them. If they play at less than 50% in randoms, they are likely to be playing a much less in ranked. From Rank 5, they would have to string together another 20 wins with no losses, with a bunch of players far out of their league. A less-than-average player isn't going to come in first and save their stars. You really do have to be somewhat of a decent player to rank out, and it really is untrue that "literally anybody" can rank out. Is it technically possible that somebody could get extremely lucky and get carried all that way? Yeah, sure, but it's highly improbable.

Try to find some examples of less-than-average players ranking out.

I guess we’re pretty much saying the same thing it’s just I’m leaning more to the carry side ,I would think that after that many games one would have a reasonable idea on how to play the game

ranked is definitely not for the faint of heart and not for me , no time and even if I did Not any qinterest other than the flag rewards

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,445 battles
36 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

I guess we’re pretty much saying the same thing

I don't think so

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
18,445 battles
4 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

You may want to reread your post 

you: literally anybody can rank out if you're persistent and keep playing

me: no that's not true

I don't see how we're saying the same thing.

[AFW-]
Members
960 posts
7,193 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 5:15 AM, Taichunger said:

1. When a CV enters the queue, exit.

You just OWNED the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!