You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

Does anyone have any ranked tips?

49 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,329 posts
3,591 battles

I am asking for tips for ranked battles right now I am at rank 17 and I would like to see how far I can get. I am primarily using Mogami with an ifhe setup and Atago with a conclealment setup. My goal is to then switch to Zao once I get to the tier 10 ranked battles and then finish off with Southern Dragon and Northern Dragon(Myoko clones conclealment setup) at tier 7 ranked or Belfast. I want to push as far as I can with these ships. I chose ships that I am most familiar with. so any tips?

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,111 posts
12,668 battles

Motivational posters. Deep breathing. Maybe a stress ball.

• Funny 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,845 posts
13,820 battles

The only way to avoid Suffering in Rank is not to play Rank. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,329 posts
3,591 battles

Alright if Prinz Eugen is better then Mogami I am more than open to using her. I am against using New Orleans as it seems to play badly in my hands. I would have thought that there would have been some people dedicated to ranked play that could share some tips.

[-S-R-]
Members
325 posts
7,303 battles

Play ships you are consistently good in.  Practice STRONG ship preservation skills while inflicting as much damage to the enemy.  If you’re dead you’re no good so stay alive.

• Cool 1

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles

One of the biggest tips I can give is to recognise when you have an advantage and not take unnecessary risks. Specifically, if you're up on points (either in the sense of having more, or having more caps, or having killed an enemy ship), it is important that you stop pushing, take up a defensive position and stop taking unnecessary risks (this applies particularly in the second two thirds of the match). When you have the points lead it is your match to lose; the enemy must push. See when this happens and to take full advantage of it.

Another point is to notice when ships (particularly cruisers and destroyers) are isolated on a flank. At that point it can often be a good idea to force a decisive battle; wipe them out, and again take up a defensive position with the new lead you now have.

Edited by senseNOTmade
  • Cool 2

Members
3,254 posts
9,531 battles

Stay alive.

Realize that ranked gameplay is very streaky. You'll lose 15 games in a row and be ready to pull your hair out. Then the next night, you'll win 8 or 9 straight.

Some matches, your teammates will be utter potatoes and just sail off in random without following the plan, ensuring you'll lose.

Other matches, your teammates will do the exact same thing, but somehow you'll win even though there is no way in heck you should.

Stay alive.

• Cool 5

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,252 battles

start fighting early, do not wait to get started, the battles at the low levels are like a Potato throwing match sometimes.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,656 posts
4,926 battles

Ok, thanks for asking. 

TEAMWORK:  The first thing to recognize is that success at the level or rank you are at is not based on the ship you are driving or how it's setup.  You can be successful with any of the T8 ships out there provided you can drive them competently.  

The key to Ranked is teamwork and that's teamwork with a capital T.  Nothing else will change the odds drastically for or against you more than whether or not you can work with your team and if they will work with you.  

The problem is, especially in 3rd League play "Ranks 23 - 16" a lot of the players still think they are in Random and act like it with many ships yoloing off to be insta deleted when they run into an organized force.  The good news is that there's a good chance the red ships have the same problem so the more organization you can create on your team, the better your chances.  If someone has a plan, even if it's not the plan you'd choose, go with it and that kernel of organization can be just what your team needs to prevail.  If no-one comes up with a plan, suggest one and chances are at least a few of the other ships will work with you. 

You won't always succeed with this but you'll end up with more organized teams more often if you give it a try, and in Ranked, the more organized team always wins (or close enough as makes no difference).  If you can end up on more organized teams than average, you'll be able to advance so every chance you have to help create that, the better you chances of advancing are. 

PLAN:  Next to Teamwork, at least in this season, figuring out how to deal with the three object triangle mess is the most important.  While you can sometimes win with holding only one of the caps, you're going to lose most of those games.  Have an idea of how you are going to take two of those objectives, not just one.  Any two will do so try to build that into the plan.  If the plan for example is just to take cap C, make sure you try and get a plan for AC or BC otherwise you might just end up with everyone sitting at C behind islands sniping at the red ships while they roll up a lead in points that you just can't overcome.  

Be careful of splitting your forces.  Chances are if there is even a semi-organized team on the other side, they're going to send most of their ships towards either the objectives to the east or west.  If you split your forces too much, your ships on the side where most of the red ships are at  will be overwhelmed and easily wiped out putting you at a severe disadvantage.  Try to concentrate most of your force on one side or the other and if the red ships split their fleet, you can defeat them in detail. 

These two factors probably account for about 80% to 90% of why you are going to win or lose any particular battle and, at the ranks you are in, closer to 100%.  

The Smaller Stuff: The other stuff you hear about, all the other things as ship choice, the builds of your ships and commander, the consumables and flags account for the rest, but honestly, these really only come into play if both teams have pretty equal team play, equally viable plans and equivalent skill sets. This stuff really only begins to truly matter when teams are pretty evenly matched and they can then help tip the balance one way or the other.  If you are on an unorganized team without a plan facing a team that has one, none of these things is going to save you or your team so take care of them first before you start worrying about the small stuff.   

Now this isn't to say that having a high point commander, good combat oriented signal flags, premium consumables and good cammo don't help, they certainly do and if you have them you should use them, but they are secondary to your overall success.  You can have the most OP ship in the tier, have the bestest of the best of everything mounted and if you don't take care of your teamwork, you're still going to get creamed unless the red ships are similarly handicapped.    

Hope this is helpful and Good Luck and Fair Seas!! :Smile_honoring:

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 6

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,282 battles

Know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run.

You can count your damage when the winnings done

• Cool 2

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,282 battles

Those Japanese T8 cruisers are generally viewed as easy kills by most BB and it’s true in most cases, only a small number of people seem to be able to play them well enough to last in a match and have an impact.

Prinz Eugen seems a bit more stable platform for 7v7?

• Cool 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

I am asking for tips for ranked battles right now I am at rank 17 and I would like to see how far I can get. I am primarily using Mogami with an ifhe setup and Atago with a conclealment setup. My goal is to then switch to Zao once I get to the tier 10 ranked battles and then finish off with Southern Dragon and Northern Dragon(Myoko clones conclealment setup) at tier 7 ranked or Belfast. I want to push as far as I can with these ships. I chose ships that I am most familiar with. so any tips?

dont marathon it.  play a few each gaming session.  While I havent it seen it this season -- based on past seasons there is occasionally salt -- so bring your thicker skin suit.  aside from that I'd look at youtube for helper videos about the current ranked season.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
614 posts
4,848 battles

Play vessels that you are strong at and support your team as a cruiser. That is focus DDs and other ship's. 

Know when to go dark, and the capabilities of the enemy ship's. 

If your team is losing badly early and its turning into a steam roll, farm damage to retain that star. 

Lastly stay alive. The longer you live the more influence you have, damage dealt, etc.

• Cool 3

[BLUMR]
Members
217 posts
2,845 battles

Do yourself a favor and don't go in it the first time expecting to rank out. The difficulty curve is exponential. Do it to learn. Ranked, despite what people want you to do, is one of the better places to experiment. There is more of a "meta" when it comes to ship locations and tactics, so you will be able to get a grasp on what places work for what ships. Play it like a chess game if you can, and be sure to tell people what you are doing. It's a different mindset than randoms, where the goal is kill as many ships as possible. You should be thinking "if I was X ship where would I go", then attempting to utilize your ship in a way that counters that. As an IJN CA that usually means flanking around known radar cruiser spots and DD hiding holes to get angles where they are pinned by your teammates. Leave the BB killing to others, but as always if there isn't anything better to do, or all the good areas are covered, then whallop on those BBs. It's better than nothing.

tl;dr    Make mistakes, learn what you can and can't do, THEN focus on ranking out. You will thank yourself later when you know how to do ranked, and your teammates are still going to their same old spots doing their same old things earning their same old win rate.

Edited by Sou1forge
  • Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,309 posts
19,617 battles

If you are of legal drinking age:

Do one shot of your favorite liquor before you start. After each loss another shot. If you play enough and lose too much, you're drunk and the pain will be sufficiently numbed.

If you are not of legal age:

Oreos and milk.

That's all I got.

Edited by Wye_So_Serious
  • Funny 2

[R-F1]
Members
507 posts
21,697 battles

Have fun, just laugh off all the insults.  If you actively pursue rank 1, it's hell.  

Members
3,470 posts
6,173 battles
1 hour ago, landedkiller said:

Alright if Prinz Eugen is better then Mogami I am more than open to using her. I am against using New Orleans as it seems to play badly in my hands. I would have thought that there would have been some people dedicated to ranked play that could share some tips.

I don't have a Mogami but I do have the Prinz and I really liked it.  Started with the Bismark and could not get it to work for some reason (unlike the previous Ranked season I used the Bis) and got to Rank 10 in the Prinz pretty quickly.

• Cool 1

Members
524 posts
3,696 battles
43 minutes ago, Visidious said:

Know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run.

You can count your damage when the winnings done

Everyone considered him the potato of the county...

• Cool 1

[FARQD]
Members
375 posts
6,211 battles
1 hour ago, senseNOTmade said:

One of the biggest tips I can give is to recognise when you have an advantage and not take unnecessary risks. Specifically, if you're up on points (either in the sense of having more, or having more caps, or having killed an enemy ship), it is important that you stop pushing, take up a defensive position and stop taking unnecessary risks (this applies particularly in the second two thirds of the match). When you have the points lead it is your match to lose; the enemy must push. See when this happens and to take full advantage of it.

Another point is to notice when ships (particularly cruisers and destroyers) are isolated on a flank. At that point it can often be a good idea to force a decisive battle; wipe them out, and again take up a defensive position with the new lead you now have.

WG should make a huge warning in-game saying not to push when there is a clear advantage so it shows up all the time on the screen. 2 caps 2 dead dds vs our 4 still alive NOPE. We want damage to save star (in case we lose), earn credits, earn XP, try a different strategy, test my torps are some of the reasons they have typed in.. 

[ASHIP]
Members
597 posts
5,316 battles
Just now, sansfaille said:

WG should make a huge warning in-game saying not to push when there is a clear advantage so it shows up all the time on the screen. 2 caps 2 dead dds vs our 4 still alive NOPE. We want damage to save star (in case we lose), earn credits, earn XP, try a different strategy, test my torps are some of the reasons they have typed in.. 

I think it's mostly just a matter of map awareness. Deciding who has the advantage involves assessing who has more points, more caps, how much health people have left and the strategic situation. Hard to do that in the middle of a fight, and before you know it you're committed to another push, just this time an unnecessary one.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,587 posts
25,725 battles

1. When a CV enters the queue, exit. You dont want your game to depend on the CV, who more than likely will be a potato. That is widely given advice.

2. You should pick a ship you're good in, with win rates and damage above server average. Mogami is not a ship you're good in, and you have only 50 games in it. You're way more experienced in Atago, which is the better ship given its better torp angles, excellent guns, and heal. But overall your stats and experience suggest that Ranked even at T8 is going to be difficult for you, and T10 will be very, very difficult -- you have only 1 game in Zao. I would hold off Ranked until your overall win rate rises at least 7 points and you have several ships with +50% win rates. You need to find div partners and clan mates who can teach you things, and you need to participate in Clan Wars to understand the meta in T10 Ranked.

3. If you lose three games in a row, stop. Don't continue. If Ranked is making you angry even when you win, stop. 

4. Don't play when the server is off-peak, you will see the same people again and again and games will have the same outcomes.

5. If you make it to T10 you can treat Ranked as a free grind for captain XP, as many players clearly are. 

6. Mogami is particularly vulnerable because she is easy to cit. Remember IJN cruisers are not torp boats -- do not push up in an attempt to create torp opportunities as if you were an oversize DD. That is a common mistake among Mogami drivers, and it is always paid for in citadels. Torps are situational, you only use them when the opportunity arises. Mogami's broadside torp angles make it particularly difficult to use torps w/o getting killed. That is why Atago is better and should be your ship of choice.

7. Wear det flags. Detonations are stupid and should not be part of competitive gameplay, but sadly WG's business model appears to depend on having a certain number of detonations. Don't be that one. If you don't have sufficient det flags, don't play Ranked. 

8. No ship affects outcomes like a DD. And there is your problem: only 5% of your games are in DDs. No ship will teach you situational awareness, map awareness, space control, and winning like a DD. If I were you I'd go back down to IJN DDs in T2-4 and play 300 games in them until you have +50% win rates and can meaningfully affect game outcomes. Your lack of experience in DDs will really hurt you in Ranked, since you will not be able to get inside DD drivers' heads and predict how they will behave, and your understanding of maps and space will be deficient. 

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 6
  • Bad 1

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,381 battles

I would start watching youtube vids and learn how to aim, what to aim for, and effectively use cover, teamwork, and map strategies. Work on your game in general. I'm not trying to be a [edited], but if you're pulling 24k average damage and a 42% winrate in randoms, you're going to need to improve a lot if you want to make it through ranked.

• Cool 1