Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awildseaking

DDL Designation for Teamwork's Sake

16 comments in this topic

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles

Even if they're still counted as DD for matchmaking purposes (for now), can ships like Khab, Udaloi, Tashkent, Kiev, and Aigle get a separate designation in-game? They aren't commonly played and a lot of players who are new to mid/high tier don't know they have 7-9km conceal with stealth spec. I think it would greatly benefit these players and teamwork in general if someone could just glance at the minimap, see a different icon, and know that ship isn't comparable in its role to other DDs.

Can we have CA/CL designation as well?

• Cool 3

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
271 posts
3,693 battles

I alwayss treat my aigle as a cl 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles
47 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

Even if they're still counted as DD for matchmaking purposes (for now), can ships like Khab, Udaloi, Tashkent, Kiev, and Aigle get a separate designation in-game? They aren't commonly played and a lot of players who are new to mid/high tier don't know they have 7-9km conceal with stealth spec. I think it would greatly benefit these players and teamwork in general if someone could just glance at the minimap, see a different icon, and know that ship isn't comparable in its role to other DDs.

A CL/CA designation might makes sense once the US cruisers split.   Maybe.

Members
1,835 posts
17,641 battles
1 hour ago, awildseaking said:

Forgot the Minsk...the longest grind in the game of any ship in order to achieve Elite status (due to not 1 but 2 100k+ grinds in a T7 XP meta) & the 1st non premium most encounter in the game that falls under that category.

Although the detection range is already visible on the mini map...it's just smaller looking in comparison to the gun range of those ships.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,026 posts
3,537 battles

DL, "Destroyer Leader," or " Flotilla Leader," depending on where you are from.

For those who don't know: A DL blurs the line between a CL and a DD. Two things would hinder a ship from CL classification: Total Tonnage, or Size of the main battery guns. In most cases, the size of the guns is what keeps a ship from a CL classification.

• Bad 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles
2 hours ago, awildseaking said:

Why should anyone care?  What they need are people performing the DD roles.

• Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,579 posts
25,677 battles

But aren't there already mods that give you the name of the ship class on the minimap?

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles
9 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

Why should anyone care?  What they need are people performing the DD roles.

Because when I play Udaloi solo, I continue to run into players who don't realize that I can't rush into a cap and outspot pretty much anything, at least not until later in the game when I can run DDs down with my speed and not be concerned about cruiser fire, radar, CVs, etc.

I consider this request to be a basic quality of life UI patch. It's the same logic behind having all consumables visible to your team. That way, when you use RP on Tashkent, radar on Minotaur, or TRB on Yuugumo, you don't have to announce your loadout at the beginning of every round and then remind everyone when they ask for smoke 10 minutes later. It gets really tiring to begin every round with, "I'm playing X ship which is listed as a DD but isn't really. My concealment is Y km and I will need DD/radar support and/or I will follow the nearest DD that can contest caps."

You can certainly learn all the ships from experience as I and many others have, but I see no reason for WG to complicate the process. There are many mods that have been integrated that simplify the presentation of existing information. I don't know of a mod that alerts the user of the massive difference between a Kiev and a Benson, but WG should proactively add sub-class distinctions into the game.

Edited by awildseaking

[ARGSY]
Members
6,274 posts
4,243 battles

Learn your ships.

Although these ships really are light cruisers in everything but name, changing them over formally in-game has the effect of making them susceptible to deepwater torpedoes. So long as they are DD, they are immune. Now this may be a clever trick because Russian Bias, but for now they need to remain destroyers.

[PVE]
Members
508 posts
4,326 battles

I would rather MM take nationality into account. It is really annoying when you get 2 Russian DDs and the other team gets 2 US/IJN/KM DDs who are actually good at spotting and capping.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles
3 hours ago, awildseaking said:

Because when I play Udaloi solo, I continue to run into players who don't realize that I can't rush into a cap and outspot pretty much anything, at least not until later in the game when I can run DDs down with my speed and not be concerned about cruiser fire, radar, CVs, etc.

I consider this request to be a basic quality of life UI patch. It's the same logic behind having all consumables visible to your team. That way, when you use RP on Tashkent, radar on Minotaur, or TRB on Yuugumo, you don't have to announce your loadout at the beginning of every round and then remind everyone when they ask for smoke 10 minutes later. It gets really tiring to begin every round with, "I'm playing X ship which is listed as a DD but isn't really. My concealment is Y km and I will need DD/radar support and/or I will follow the nearest DD that can contest caps."

You can certainly learn all the ships from experience as I and many others have, but I see no reason for WG to complicate the process. There are many mods that have been integrated that simplify the presentation of existing information. I don't know of a mod that alerts the user of the massive difference between a Kiev and a Benson, but WG should proactively add sub-class distinctions into the game.

I realize they can't do it, and wish they'd have picked a ship they could do it with.  If you pick a destroyer, that gets stuck with destroyer matchmaking, you need to be able to do a destroyer's job.  Just because you're not good at it, the job doesn't go away.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,001 posts
9,020 battles

I really don’t see what this would change, except possibly make wait times for those ships longer. Now if your arguing putting citadels on these things, it would bring those Russian fantasy ships down a notch.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,026 posts
3,537 battles
1 hour ago, SavageTactical said:

I really don’t see what this would change, except possibly make wait times for those ships longer. Now if your arguing putting citadels on these things, it would bring those Russian fantasy ships down a notch.

OOO, I like that. Ships designated as DL gets citadels... Then again, I also hate that idea, because then Akizuki would get a citadel... And yes, Akizuki is more fitting of a DL classification, the only thing holding her from CL classification, are her 100mm main batteries.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
1,001 posts
9,020 battles
1 hour ago, Counter_Gambit said:

OOO, I like that. Ships designated as DL gets citadels... Then again, I also hate that idea, because then Akizuki would get a citadel... And yes, Akizuki is more fitting of a DL classification, the only thing holding her from CL classification, are her 100mm main batteries.

Akizuki was never a DL. 

[CAST]
Members
1,427 posts
5,957 battles
23 hours ago, awildseaking said:

When I play my Soviet DLs I always point out early in the game chat that my capping capabilities are limited, but that I'll do what I can.  Most random players appreciate that even if they aren't very familiar with the ships' stats.

8 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

I realize they can't do it, and wish they'd have picked a ship they could do it with.  If you pick a destroyer, that gets stuck with destroyer matchmaking, you need to be able to do a destroyer's job.  Just because you're not good at it, the job doesn't go away.

This comment is not at all constructive in nature and entirely unrelated to the OPs suggestion.  Yes, there are a lot of people who don't understand that it's still possible to do "DD things" in a ship with 8km+ concealment, just as there are plenty of people who don't understand that among a battleship's purposes in this game is to draw fire, or that a cruiser needs to shoot at any enemy destroyers spotted rather than raining down HE on battleships 15km behind the battle, or that a Japanese destroyer with torpedo reload booster equipped in lieu of smoke is still capable of capping and spotting, or, or, or....

You and the OP both have an issue with players who are ignorant of the capabilities of certain ships; the OP made a constructive suggestion to work around this, while you opted to suggest that such people should just stop playing.  To paraphrase, just because you're not good at adapting to your team composition, the need to do so doesn't go away.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,026 posts
3,537 battles
5 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

Akizuki was never a DL. 

Akizuki also never had AP rounds made for her guns... So reality isn't an issue here.

Sign in to follow this