Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Popeye444

Team Kills...please explain?

8 comments in this topic

Members
13 posts
9,603 battles

I don't think 99% of players intentionally try and kill a team member. So in essence it's, "Friendly Fire."

I'm on a CA, open torp shot, then DD suddenly turns into my torps track. Hey it happens. Not sure why all the notice and turning players "Pink"?

If you talk to each other like on Aces High it would certainly help and would pay the $15 a month fee to enable me to do so.

Commander USN-Ret :cap_old:

[-PVE-]
Members
114 posts
9,276 battles

What gets me is turning pink for a stray HE shot that does less then 1,500 damage and no kill. Guess I won't get good boy prize when it comes up again.

[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts

Generally if the DD is able to turn into your torps it wasnt an open shot and you should have waited. It isn't always apparent when this is possible but comes down to good judgement. Mistakes do happen but you are responsible for all ordnance you fire.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,650 posts
4,918 battles
57 minutes ago, Popeye444 said:

I don't think 99% of players intentionally try and kill a team member. So in essence it's, "Friendly Fire."

I'm on a CA, open torp shot, then DD suddenly turns into my torps track. Hey it happens. Not sure why all the notice and turning players "Pink"?

If you talk to each other like on Aces High it would certainly help and would pay the $15 a month fee to enable me to do so.

Commander USN-Ret :cap_old:

Well, here's why. 

Back before the most recent anti-team killing system came into force (the Fall of 2016), almost all of the pink ships were in fact intentional team killers and you'd run into them every three or four games you played, especially in the lower tiers.   Usually they'd be in a dd or a torp equipped cruiser.  You'd see them almost immediately accelerate and head towards the nearest carrier or battleship often unleashing full salvo's of torps at their target before you could type "Watch Out" or the BB or CV was even underway.  

A more sophisticated TK would act like a teammate until you were hotly engaged against the enemy and then they'd attack you from behind while your focus was on the red ships.  I'm not talking about a mistaken torp drop but them engaging you with guns and torps at the worst possible time. 

Stuff like this happened all of the time and was extremely frustrating.  

After WG implemented their new system this kind of blatant team killer mostly ceased to exist.  You will still rarely run into one maybe every 100 games or so and normally in lower tiered games.  This is a vast vast vast improvement over how things used to be and if these restrictions were relaxed, well human nature being what it is, you'd once again be dealing with these idiots ever three or four battles. 

The fact that today, pink ships are normally not team killers is the best evidence that the system is working as intended and keeping a lid on the real team killers out there.  Driving a pink ship around every now and then is a small price to pay for not having to deal with these idiots on an constant basis. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 2

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,237 battles

So you shot torps with a friendly in front of you?

[CVA16]
Members
2,276 posts
9,859 battles
1 hour ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Back before the most recent anti-team killing system came into force (the Fall of 2016), almost all of the pink ships were in fact intentional team killers and you'd run into them every three or four games you played,

Don't remember it being quite so often but I do remember  watching any pink ship closely as the game started. Lower tiers had more intentional TKers.  Haven't seen much lately so maybe the system has been working. Of course I am playing higher tiers now where I assume there are fewer wishing to get their account banned. Now I assume pink means somebody may just be careless or unlucky until proven otherwise. Still think the most recent changes may have a bit too far so may need to be tweaked a little yet.

Edited by Sabot_100

[CVA16]
Members
2,276 posts
9,859 battles
2 hours ago, Popeye444 said:

Think of it as a warning to be more careful in the future.

I am guilty of torping allies and have been torped by allies. Tunnel-vision usually plays a part in both. As a shooter, I don't realize that the friendly is probably not looking around except to track enemy ships and will be doing what he thinks is best for his ship, which may seem completely stupid from my viewpoint. On the receiving end, I assume (hope) that the friendlies will not launch torps where I will run into them when I hear the torpedo warning from the friendly side. Sometimes it is a bad assumption. By the time I take the time to look around it is probably too late to avoid them anyway.

Being pink has taught me to be more careful in torp launches (and gun fire).

[LHG]
Members
1,650 posts
4,918 battles
11 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Don't remember it being quite so often but I do remember  watching any pink ship closely as the game started. Lower tiers had more intentional TKers.  Haven't seen much lately so maybe the system has been working. Of course I am playing higher tiers now where I assume there are fewer wishing to get their account banned. Now I assume pink means somebody may just be careless or unlucky until proven otherwise. Still think the most recent changes may have a bit too far so may need to be tweaked a little yet.

Well, back in 2015 I was just starting out and saw it all of the time.  In the Fall of 2016 I was playing mostly at T5 (I'd taken some time off, Project R really wiped me out) when the updates came out and presto, within a week or two, pretty much all the real team killers with their pink ships were gone.  

I still saw some of it, the semi-team killers who would take a few shots at you trying to damage you as much as they could without triggering the tk system and then those that got creative by going AFK and getting on chat to give a running commentary on what all the green ships were doing.  However even those have almost entirely dried up so, from that standpoint, things are a lot better. 

I'm also not concerned about getting a pink ship now and them for the new AFK rules.  If it wasn't a problem as prevalant as team killing used to be, it was still fairly obvious when players were abusing it and leaving the rest of their team out to dry.  I've really hoping it will clean up the intentional AFK mess as well but I'm still seeing it, which means some offenders players haven't yet reached the "punishment" phase and been banished to Co-op yet.  Guess we'll just have to see.

It probably would be nice if WG toned down the message you receive when you get a pink ship.  I'm all for the system but even I get a little irritated when I read it so maybe some language change is in order.  They should probably also revise the "team killer" tag since AFK players aren't actually killing their teams directly as TK's are.  

Sign in to follow this