Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
J30_Reinhardt

It's alive!!!

9 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,651 posts
3,924 battles

Almost exactly one week after the lightning strike and around $1900 later I am now able to game again.

Once I get everything reinstalled and copy/pasted from one SSD to the next

.wolfside.jpg.f6250c4f72e50238daa61765a30e8dad.jpg

wolfwindow.jpg.7bf4c1d1426aecae80e10334d221b1c8.jpg

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

• Cool 6

Members
2,494 posts
5,479 battles

LOOKING GOOD!   Put up the specs and component list for just for fun.   I don't wanna see no BSOD's

[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts

Looks like fun. I love it when a new box comes together.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,358 posts
9,513 battles

Did you get a crazy good surge protector? Please say yes.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,230 posts
8,863 battles
18 hours ago, paradat said:

Did you get a crazy good surge protector? Please say yes.

Surge protectors do little versus a direct or near lightning strike, or the electromagnetic pulse it produces. What is needed is a lightning arrestor which diverts as much of the current as possible to ground before it even enters the house. However, even these and circuit breakers oftentimes don't really work. Think of how far the contacts of an open circuit breaker are apart. Now think of how far that lightning bolt has traveled from the cloud to your house. An electrical arc powerful enough to travel for miles through the air has little difficulty gapping that last inch.  

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,358 posts
9,513 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Surge protectors do little versus a direct or near lightning strike, or the electromagnetic pulse it produces. What is needed is a lightning arrestor which diverts as much of the current as possible to ground before it even enters the house. However, even these and circuit breakers oftentimes don't really work. Think of how far the contacts of an open circuit breaker are apart. Now think of how far that lightning bolt has traveled from the cloud to your house. An electrical arc powerful enough to travel for miles through the air has little difficulty gapping that last inch.  

Good point. Did not realize how close the strike was. So arrestor then?

[NGA]
Alpha Tester
9,651 posts
3,924 battles
22 hours ago, dionkraft said:

LOOKING GOOD!   Put up the specs and component list for just for fun.   I don't wanna see no BSOD's

Upgraded replacements: I7 8700k, Asus Prime Z370-A, 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT(I went cheap on this), Crucial 500GB SSD, Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX(FREAKING HUGE CARD), Thermaltake RBG 750w psu, Windblows 10(I prefer 7 but I want that DX12). Included in that $1900 was about 300+ worth of labor and troubleshooting/testing of crapI could salvage.

3 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

OoooooooOOOOooooooh that is niiiiiiice! I want a wolf on my PC too! :Smile_sad:

Ye olde rig engraved made by Cyberpower. Order a case, pay more coins for custom artwork. This is my second PC with them and first liquid cooling setup which thankfully was not fried.

As for surge protectors and UPC/UPS. Neither worked. Giant surge protector on plasma tv, didn't help. Router and Dell connected to UPC..got blasted to the point I found the frontplate of the router of the floor. So yea... not sure there's much to do when RNG, God, and Thor have a rave, get drunk, and starting throwing electricity around all willy-nilly.

Also, 2nd new router coming today(2nd one in less than a week since their new one is throttling me at half speed).

• Cool 1

Members
2,494 posts
5,479 battles

Perhaps the ULTIMATE Surge protector is your own power supply here...But it may cost!!  BUT GLAD your back on your feet again.  WELCOME BACK to the Battles!

honda-gen.jpg

Edited by dionkraft

Sign in to follow this