You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

16 comments in this topic

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

So, this past weekend, thanks to Amazon, I have at long last been able to publish my first novel, The Crop-Duster's Son! Started in 2002 with the first draft completed two years later, I had been editing and rewriting it many times since, to reflect an ever-increasing body of knowledge as well as a growing confidence with the written word.

From the back cover:

As Germany set out to invade Poland, Benjamin Markett was enjoying the relatively simple life of a crop-duster, alongside his father James. But as the war flares up he is presented with a choice, and embarks upon the path of the Army pilot. Making close, lifelong friends along the way, he learns about the wider world and faces the full realities of war in the air, finding to his surprise that he not only has the skills to survive, but to find victory and success as a combat leader.

More than fifty years after the Second World War came to a close, he finally decided to begin committing to paper his experiences as a fighter ace.

The novel itself is available in two formats, as a Kindle-format eBook and in paperback.

• Cool 5

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,558 posts

Bravo, though I feel the cover art could use some work

1,266 posts
13 battles

Congrats on your 1st published novel! I am so excited for you! A friend of mine has one on Amazon as well and it'd doing amazing so far. I wish you nothing but the best and much success on your novel. :)

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

Interesting stuff; writer myself but have never seriously tried the novel.  Lots of work and dedication there.  Shall check er out!

Did you know someone like this, or any WW vets?

Edited by BullHalsey

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

Oh, check the YouTube vid of "Rod Rodmyre", pretty sure that's it.  He sounds like a, if not the, basis for your character.  Fantastic two part interview I'd recommend to anyone.

Edited by BullHalsey

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

Thank you, everyone!

9 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Bravo, though I feel the cover art could use some work

Yeah, it was a bit of a rush job, but it's at least evocative of the subject matter (and the planes are in the markings of the protagonist's squadron).

6 hours ago, BullHalsey said:

Interesting stuff; writer myself but have never seriously tried the novel.  Lots of work and dedication there.  Shall check er out!

Did you know someone like this, or any WW vets?

Oh, check the YouTube vid of "Rod Rodmyre", pretty sure that's it.  He sounds like a, if not the, basis for your character.  Fantastic two part interview I'd recommend to anyone.

Actually, no, I deliberately avoided basing any of my characters off of real (or at least known) people and personalities. There is a certain amount of myself in all of them, naturally, but as an author I had to find my own voice, and believe that this has been successfully accomplished. Any similarities to persons living or dead is entirely coincidental, after all...except for one person (won't mention who, of course). :cap_haloween:

The dedication, however, does acknowledge a real WWII fighter pilot that I had the privilege of knowing, as we both flew the same flight sims.

Edited by Goodwood_Alpha

1,542 posts
26 battles
20 hours ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

So, this past weekend, thanks to Amazon, I have at long last been able to publish my first novel, The Crop-Duster's Son! Started in 2002 with the first draft completed two years later, I had been editing and rewriting it many times since, to reflect an ever-increasing body of knowledge as well as a growing confidence with the written word.

From the back cover:

The novel itself is available in two formats, as a Kindle-format eBook and in paperback.

I'm hoping to join you this year! Is the process through Amazon straightforward as I was looking to do the same when I finish mine too :)

[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
2 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

I'm hoping to join you this year! Is the process through Amazon straightforward as I was looking to do the same when I finish mine too :)

For eBooks, the process is actually quite easy, but paperbacks are rather more involved and require certain file formats. There is plenty of instruction available for both routes, and forums within the KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) community.

• Cool 1