26 comments in this topic

[ERN]
Members
601 posts
8,301 battles

Ever since I first started playing this game when it's first released for Mac users, I was a bit annoyed that WarGaming doesn't have technical support for players with that kind of software, or any support whatsoever. I hoped that they would eventually fix this issue, but as of now, after all this time, they haven't done a thing and I've never been more disappointed with WG. They still don't have any support for Mac users, and with constant crashes, cut-offs, and frozen screens (all requiring me to shut-off my computer and restarting it, and signing back on to fix it), it's making me think about whether or not I should still play this game for not everyone can afford to switch from Macs to PCs just to play this game. WarGaming, you tend to listen to what a good chunk of players want in this game, and after 3 years since the first release of this game to Mac players, I think it's time you seriously address this issue for this has gone long enough. 

Please WG, think of the players who are denied proper care for the use of Mac software, think of the players who are denied a fun experience because of a serious malfunction of the game that results in a crash, and (because the new penalty system) those being punished for something that isn't their fault.

• Cool 2

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles

Simple answer is cost vs profit... it isn’t cheap to port it to OSX. I mean as long as the market is small, developers won’t bother with porting and as long as developers don’t port, the market will be small. 

Also, it is much easier for the person to install windows or run a “wrapper” that is already designed instead of devoting loads of time to make the game work on another OS. Also if you do port, you have to have dedicated support for that as well.

Edited by Belyy_Klyk
  • Cool 1

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

Hey @XXRed_DawnXX

I also have these same issues, and yes, WG pays way more attention to WIndows players.

There is a "fix" for it, but it doesn't fully fix the crashing. 

One more thing, you don't have to restart your computer when the game crashes/freezes. Just press Command + Option/Alt + Escape.

Members
9,962 posts

You understand that the ratio of mac players to PC players is about 5/95 right? It's simple business math that they don't pour significant resources into a tiny portion of the player base.....

Edited by awiggin

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
35 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Simple answer is cost vs profit... it isn’t cheap to port it to OSX. I mean as long as the market is small, developers won’t bother with porting and as long as developers don’t port, the market will be small. 

Also, it is much easier for the person to install windows or run a “wrapper” that is already designed instead of devoting loads of time to make the game work on another OS. Also if you do port, you have to have dedicated support for that as well.

Market is a lot bigger for Mac than you think, based on Apple’s sales numbers and how many Apple Products you see around. 

• Cool 1

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,789 battles
9 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Market is a lot bigger for Mac than you think, based on Apple’s sales numbers and how many Apple Products you see around. 

I've wondered at times if there is a buying power factor that is overlooked as well. Apple is a premium brand, with certain cost barriers. It would stand to reason that a Mac user, on average, has more buying power than a PC user. Despite the fact that Apple's market share is around 9%, I wonder what the buying power comparison looks like.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
1 minute ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

I've wondered at times if there is a buying power factor that is overlooked as well. Apple is a premium brand, with certain cost barriers. It would stand to reason that a Mac user, on average, has more buying power than a PC user. Despite the fact that Apple's market share is around 9%, I wonder what the buying power comparison looks like.

I do know that people that have to do a lot of high grade Graphics work for their jobs rely heavily on Mac to provide this capability. Also the HP Z Computers are used as well, but a hefty, but large part of the work for these action movies or 3D animating is done with Mac.

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
12 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

It might be “bigger” than most people think, but when you look at percentages it is small. It is a lot more cost than simply porting. You need dedicated support and every update must be checked for stability.  There are lots of things that play into the cost vs profit and they have obviously decided it isn’t worth it like so many other game developers. If you have another company that helps port it to other OS for you and they do all the troubleshooting then why would you bother? There are a lot of MacBooks around but they aren’t the best to game on. I have one and love it especially for coding and specific projects but I don’t expect any games to really do well on it. That is how I assume most people feel. iMacs are a different story but those are not exactly that popular (in the gaming community)

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
Just now, Belyy_Klyk said:

It might be “bigger” than most people think, but when you look at percentages it is small. It is a lot more cost than simply porting. You need dedicated support and every update must be checked for stability.  There are lots of things that play into the cost vs profit and they have obviously decided it isn’t worth it like so many other game developers. If you have another company that helps port it to other OS for you and they do all the troubleshooting then why would you bother? There are a lot of MacBooks around but they aren’t the best to game on. I have one and love it especially for coding and specific projects but I don’t expect any games to really do well on it. That is how I assume most people feel. iMacs are a different story but those are not exactly that popular (in the gaming community)

Lol my iMac serves me pretty faithfully, nice big HD screen. Of course I also got it from my Grandfather, or else I would not have been able to buy one for myself. But the screen size does allow me to evade incoming fire more easily than smaller screen would.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,214 battles

Don't play games on Mac and expect things to work. There isn't enough market share there to justify the cost of bothering to make things work on systems that are purposefully designed to not interface with other things well.

[AWP]
Members
782 posts
3,007 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol my iMac serves me pretty faithfully, nice big HD screen. Of course I also got it from my Grandfather, or else I would not have been able to buy one for myself. But the screen size does allow me to evade incoming fire more easily than smaller screen would.

Yeah I mean I’ve never owned and iMac personally but have used them in plenty of labs and offices. They are great computers but personally I am drawn to the MacBooks for portable and PC’s for stationary work. I love the feel of OSX much more than windows but just am not a fan of AIO concepts. 

My original draw to Apple was how sleek they were for the performance and the displays... you really can’t beat the display. 

Edited by Belyy_Klyk

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,214 battles
28 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lots of the people who buy Apple PCs and know they are going to game with them also just buy Windows and dual boot, which effectively lowers the ratio of market share in this case. How many people do you see going out to buy a PC in order to dual boot an Apple OS to play games? 

Members
230 posts
4,422 battles

There's an easy answer for this...

Bootcamp Windows on your Mac.  Virtualizations suck for real work. 

...and yes,  WoWS is real work. 

Proud userof an 8 year old MacPro here (with Windows).

• Cool 1

[ERN]
Members
601 posts
8,301 battles
5 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

My original draw to Apple was how sleek they were for the performance and the displays... you really can’t beat the display. 

Some of my reasons why I have one in the first place include the ease of fixing them (take them to an apple store and they will fix em on the spot or after a few days), the fact that they are less prone to getting infected with a virus or malware, and their user-friendliness. Plus I've owned Macs for many years with no problems except for this situation.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
314 posts
4,531 battles
6 hours ago, XXRed_DawnXX said:

Ever since I first started playing this game when it's first released for Mac users, I was a bit annoyed that WarGaming doesn't have technical support for players with that kind of software, or any support whatsoever. I hoped that they would eventually fix this issue, but as of now, after all this time, they haven't done a thing and I've never been more disappointed with WG. They still don't have any support for Mac users, and with constant crashes, cut-offs, and frozen screens (all requiring me to shut-off my computer and restarting it, and signing back on to fix it), it's making me think about whether or not I should still play this game for not everyone can afford to switch from Macs to PCs just to play this game. WarGaming, you tend to listen to what a good chunk of players want in this game, and after 3 years since the first release of this game to Mac players, I think it's time you seriously address this issue for this has gone long enough. 

Please WG, think of the players who are denied proper care for the use of Mac software, think of the players who are denied a fun experience because of a serious malfunction of the game that results in a crash, and (because the new penalty system) those being punished for something that isn't their fault.

Good luck with this , I've been hoping for a Linux port for awhile now . WOWS servers run Linux , and  War Thunder has a Linux port which runs great in Manjaro . I despise Windows 10 , hate it with a passion but I'm stuck dual booting with the piece of spyware ridden crap if I wanna play WOWS , Wine is a PITA IMO . Hope WG does something for all of us Non Windoze lovers .

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,606 posts
18,201 battles

As a Mac user I understand that Wargaming is driven by profit and has to decide if it is worth it or not to offer a Mac version of the game. I doubt they will, they are a foreign company with limited experience with Apple products. You have to understand that Russia is still a relatively poor county overall and Macs would be the computer equivalent of having a Ferrari here in the West. Not bashing the Russians mind you, just explaining why I think it is a low priority for them. 

I would love to see them release a version for my computer but doubt they will ever bother. Maybe as the game ages and interest falls off, they may try as a last ditch effort to save it. Kinda doubting it though. 

Members
15 posts
4,740 battles

I've been a MacUser since 1997. I got a brand new top of the line 27" iMac in January, the expensive one with the i7 4.2 Ghz upgrade.

WOWS is the first online game I've even installed on any system, ever. But on my iMac it would crash every 4 games or so and it would run hot if I turned up the settings too far....yes, I know how you feel!

That being said, I found the best solution to the problem for a MacUser (or at least a 2017 iMac 27" etc). This solution TOTALLY fixed all issues absolutely 100% and now I can play wows (the only game I play....so far) all day every day hehe. Oh, and it did not cost a single dime. Ready?

I installed windows 10 home using Bootcamp. I have had it going now for well over two months and I have NOT been required to purchase Windows. I found out that you don't even have to buy windows to play games on it on a Mac via bootcamp.

Apple has made it dirt simple to do. It took me 20 minutes to go to microsoft, get an iso file (1.3 mb I think), then open bootcamp and click what it told me to click and then Windows was up and running......that fast! It took about an hour and a half to download and install the game and get it up and running.

I use Windows on my Mac for this game ONLY, well, also to maybe watch some YT videos about wows while playing at the same time hehe. When I'm not playing the game, I restart into OSX. I wish I would have known a month sooner just how fast and easy (and free) Apple has made this to do (did I say that right?). If this windows system gets a virus and crashed after 6 months (like Windows always has for me in the past), I'll just open bootcamp and wipe it out and reinstall it again, another 2 hours total, no problem.

Hope this helps someone, it sure helped me big time!

Peace!

• Cool 1

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles
On 5/10/2018 at 2:03 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If you got the money to be buyin Apple, you also got the money to be buyin a cheap Win laptop that can easily run this game.

• Bad 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
45 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

If you got the money to be buyin Apple, you also got the money to be buyin a cheap Win laptop that can easily run this game.

Who says I had the money to buy a Mac? My Grandfather bought my Mac and gave it to me. And Windows is far from big free and same with the WOWs Game. You expect me to believe that 3-4 Disconnected players in a battle are all Mac users base on the PC vs Mac user numbers some people in Forum often quote? 

Also if I had money to buy a Mac would I not also have filled my port full of premium ships and be using premium time all the time? Any of my premium ships were either earned from game events or gifted to me by generous people in the Forum, same with the 30 days premium time I got before.

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles
22 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Who says I had the money to buy a Mac? My Grandfather bought my Mac and gave it to me. And Windows is far from big free and same with the WOWs Game. You expect me to believe that 3-4 Disconnected players in a battle are all Mac users base on the PC vs Mac user numbers some people in Forum often quote? 

Also if I had money to buy a Mac would I not also have filled my port full of premium ships and be using premium time all the time? Any of my premium ships were either earned from game events or gifted to me by generous people in the Forum, same with the 30 days premium time I got before.

Herein lies another issue and it happens with a lot of things. Owning something you can't afford to run. Boats are the typical example, but so are sports cars, expensive cars , and Apple products . Luxury products all have this side.  Apple is great stuff till you have to buy accessories for it or fix it (hope your grandfather got a warranty) or have evry program work on it.  My own dad bought my daughter a "MacAir" in 2012. Top of the line ulti-sexy laptop ,but definitely not something for a 8 year old to have . Needless to say "thanks pop" LOL . But when the battery leaked a few months later , all the guts being replaced would have run $2-3K+ , but the warranty covered it all and that thing lasted about 5 more years and could run anything. (Except this game !LOL). You'll feel really bad when the hard drive fills up and those Apples just die then. Not so bad now as there is TB HD space, but when there was just GB storage , they did and will fill up over time. You can't "reformat" an Apple HD . And your ability to rewrite over the MacHD is limited.

But I digress, It is a trade-off, Apple is about flawless and you wont see a virus again while using one , but it comes at the price of not all programs/games having compatibility.  A $200-300 Win will run this game. No need of using an Apple to do so and actually too mundane for them IMO, about like driving a Ferrari to the grocery store.

As mentioned the new "bootcamp" thing is a workaround. Still,  as with the ferrari example , it bends back to the "affordability" of using a Mac in the first place for things like this game. 

Edited by Strachwitz666

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles
2 hours ago, Strachwitz666 said:

Herein lies another issue and it happens with a lot of things. Owning something you can't afford to run. Boats are the typical example, but so are sports cars, expensive cars , and Apple products . Luxury products all have this side.  Apple is great stuff till you have to buy accessories for it or fix it (hope your grandfather got a warranty) or have evry program work on it.  My own dad bought my daughter a "MacAir" in 2012. Top of the line ulti-sexy laptop ,but definitely not something for a 8 year old to have . Needless to say "thanks pop" LOL . But when the battery leaked a few months later , all the guts being replaced would have run $2-3K+ , but the warranty covered it all and that thing lasted about 5 more years and could run anything. (Except this game !LOL). You'll feel really bad when the hard drive fills up and those Apples just die then. Not so bad now as there is TB HD space, but when there was just GB storage , they did and will fill up over time. You can't "reformat" an Apple HD . And your ability to rewrite over the MacHD is limited.

But I digress, It is a trade-off, Apple is about flawless and you wont see a virus again while using one , but it comes at the price of not all programs/games having compatibility.  A $200-300 Win will run this game. No need of using an Apple to do so and actually too mundane for them IMO, about like driving a Ferrari to the grocery store.

As mentioned the new "bootcamp" thing is a workaround. Still,  as with the ferrari example , it bends back to the "affordability" of using a Mac in the first place for things like this game. 

This is true. Windows computers are WAY better for gaming especially because of the easiness of replacing important parts (ex. GPU & CPU). Currently, Macs don't have a large enough graphics card to run the game effectively in this 32bit version. Most people who play this game on Windows PCs upgrade/build their computers to run WoWs. Mac users cannot do this near as well because of the amount of things that can go wrong when trying ot replace something like the graphics card or the CPU. Hence why it is so difficult to build a Mac from scratch.

[ERN]
Members
601 posts
8,301 battles
On 5/15/2018 at 7:08 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I agree, I also received my Mac as a gift. It never ceases to amaze me that because I have an Apple product, I can afford a Windows, when in fact I don't have the money for one, and it is pointless to have one just to play a game.

Besides, If Mac computers are more expensive than Windows, it should make sense that WG should support Mac users since even though they are supposedly a small percentage of users of this game, they would add more profit since if the theory is correct (that if they have a more expensive computer, they would likely have more wealth), they would be able afford to buy more from the in-game store, resulting in ever increasing profits. And if that's true, it would make sense to keep those users and make some effort to have another developer that specializes in Mac software and finally add support for those users.

[RKLES]
Members
7,200 posts
8,971 battles
40 minutes ago, XXRed_DawnXX said:

I agree, I also received my Mac as a gift. It never ceases to amaze me that because I have an Apple product, I can afford a Windows, when in fact I don't have the money for one, and it is pointless to have one just to play a game.

Besides, If Mac computers are more expensive than Windows, it should make sense that WG should support Mac users since even though they are supposedly a small percentage of users of this game, they would add more profit since if the theory is correct (that if they have a more expensive computer, they would likely have more wealth), they would be able afford to buy more from the in-game store, resulting in ever increasing profits. And if that's true, it would make sense to keep those users and make some effort to have another developer that specializes in Mac software and finally add support for those users.

Yeah it would be nice to have official Mac version 

• Cool 1