You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Poharan

Is there some kind of trick to aiming with the Bayern?

37 comments in this topic

[BBP]
Members
341 posts
5,791 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I dunno, as long as you're not up against a KM BB, IJN doesn't need to fear brawling.

High tier French BBs too.  Excellent brawlers.

Members
22,304 posts
5,778 battles
6 minutes ago, Poharan said:

I'll probably try out France and just drop Germany, honestly. There're few things more frustrating for me than knowing you got off a good shot and then seeing your ship take it away from you.

It's in shades for all of the Nations' trees, of course, but Germany is crazy.

It's not as bad as all that. Get used to fighting at 8-12km. (KM secondaries are nice) The experience you gain is valuable, and will stand you in good stead for being able to fight in close in other BBs when necessary.

[BBP]
Members
341 posts
5,791 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Try sticking with the Germans until Gneisenau and Bismarck. Both are fast Battleships, great armor, awesome Secondaries, main guns that behave themselves better than Bayern, and the Gneisenau gets torpedoes same as Scharnhorst.

I've also seen a few players that didn't know that T7 German BBs and Tirpitz could torp.  

We had a win in hand and the enemy's Tirpitz marched by our BBs one by one torping them.  You'd have figured the 2nd and 3rd BB would have learned from the first one that got torped...  Nope...

That Tirpitz...

Breaking Bad He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF ...

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,840 posts
5,190 battles

I learned it early on and mentioned it in some of the KM BB videos I did, forget about aiming for waterline.  Half the shells go short and get eaten by the sea.  Instead of aiming for citadels raise your aim to the upper belt line, where the side armor and the deck meet.  You won't get the juicy citadel strikes and big damage numbers, but 4-6 penetrating damage hits add up quickly.  You'll also land more shells on target, some in the waterline, some in the side plating, some in the superstructure.  6 various hits is better then 2-3 hits and the rest getting eaten by the water.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,481 posts

Secondaries, you have them for a reason. The reason is that when you are close enough for your secondaries to open up, you can now hit something with your primary batteries. The good news is, your boat and your turrets turn well. The bad news is the rest of your team is huddled behind a rock 12Km behind you.

[NUWES]
Members
2,128 posts
6,734 battles
1 hour ago, Poharan said:

Heavens, these guns are unbelievable. It seems like half of the time the shells are leaving through the side of the barrel rather than travelling the full length. There has to be some trick to this, right? 

So, tell me, is there some essential captain skill or upgrade that just has to be taken on the Bayern to make it playable? All I'm missing is the FKS upgrade, but frankly I don't see any point to longer range -- not like I'm going to hit anything. Aiming systems mod seems to do little as well.

Some of my favorite instances with this ship so far are when I fired center mass at a KGV that was 100% broadside from me 6.1km out, and I was rewarded with 3/8 hits: two overpens and a single regular pen. Also the time when I spliced a CV entirely from about the same distance. 

lol. No trick. Just close the range a lot, fire a lot, and pray to RNGezus. Bayern is not a long range ship. None of the KM BBs are. 

Beta Testers
3,420 posts
6,264 battles
43 minutes ago, Poharan said:

I'll probably try out France and just drop Germany, honestly. There're few things more frustrating for me than knowing you got off a good shot and then seeing your ship take it away from you.

The French ships are really RNG'ish. The Lyon is a shotgun, the Republique is AWESOME one salvo, wth the next. Before you drop the German line, at least make it to Bismarck and she will reward you for your efforts. The T-9 and T-10 German ships I was not a fan of but Bismarck is a great ship.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,481 posts
47 minutes ago, Poharan said:

Normandie has even worse dispersion than Bayern, and armor just thick enough to arm rounds without actually stopping them.

Seriusly, Normandie has had the all or nothing approach to armor applied to its gunnery, you either land five citadels and obliterate the target, or as is the norm, watch twelve shells splash harmlessly all around your target.

Edited by Doombeagle

Members
1,435 posts
8,260 battles

yea, welcome to german dispersion.  the FdG, my namesake, consistently shoots into 3 different maps with a single salvo. 

the bismark is a gem tho.  all around solid BB and getting into a brawl in any german ship is a rush.   worth keeping, especially if you have the free perma camo. 

i am debating if i want to get the GK when it goes on sale.  I thought it was ok in the space battles.(granted 19 point captain)   i might just take that free german captain(s) and put it on my bismark if i dont get the GK. 

[1KR]
Members
289 posts
12 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

lol. No trick. Just close the range a lot, fire a lot, and pray to RNGezus. Bayern is not a long range ship. None of the KM BBs are. 

I really wonder how people define long range as the Bayern has given me trouble with it's guns at 6-8km.

She's definitely not a bad ship, don't get me wrong, but she can be so frustrating to play sometimes.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,476 posts
6,073 battles
2 hours ago, Poharan said:

Heavens, these guns are unbelievable. It seems like half of the time the shells are leaving through the side of the barrel rather than travelling the full length. There has to be some trick to this, right? 

So, tell me, is there some essential captain skill or upgrade that just has to be taken on the Bayern to make it playable? All I'm missing is the FKS upgrade, but frankly I don't see any point to longer range -- not like I'm going to hit anything. Aiming systems mod seems to do little as well.

Some of my favorite instances with this ship so far are when I fired center mass at a KGV that was 100% broadside from me 6.1km out, and I was rewarded with 3/8 hits: two overpens and a single regular pen. Also the time when I spliced a CV entirely from about the same distance. 

Get in close and brawl.  You should be sub 10k whenever possible.

Aim about half way up the side of the ship, not at the waterline.

[WOLFG]
Members
229 posts

Played through the Bismark with a secondary build.  What others have said about brawling is very true and it is allot of fun.  However, the trick is to know when go in for the brawl.  Rushing into three ships will have you deleted before you get to secondary range.  So learn your ship and know what and when you can do it.  You will have to learn to ignore other players who think your job is to tank for them while they hide behind mountains.