You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Poharan

Is there some kind of trick to aiming with the Bayern?

37 comments in this topic

Members
142 posts

Heavens, these guns are unbelievable. It seems like half of the time the shells are leaving through the side of the barrel rather than travelling the full length. There has to be some trick to this, right? 

So, tell me, is there some essential captain skill or upgrade that just has to be taken on the Bayern to make it playable? All I'm missing is the FKS upgrade, but frankly I don't see any point to longer range -- not like I'm going to hit anything. Aiming systems mod seems to do little as well.

Some of my favorite instances with this ship so far are when I fired center mass at a KGV that was 100% broadside from me 6.1km out, and I was rewarded with 3/8 hits: two overpens and a single regular pen. Also the time when I spliced a CV entirely from about the same distance. 

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles

Aiming mod pretty much required.  And don't play it as a long range sniper.

[INTEL]
Members
654 posts
7,564 battles

You might try aiming where the ship is not.  You're bound to get some hits.

• Funny 3

Members
18,251 posts
5,219 battles

Welcome to mid-high tier KM BBs!

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Welcome to German BBs!

That being said, Bayern also has terrible shells in general. Very weak penetration ... don't expect to citadel other BBs easily. If you're shooting at another BB, I recommend aiming at the upper belt instead.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
12 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

You might try aiming where the ship is not.  You're bound to get some hits.

And crossing your eyes

• Funny 1

[NOBS]
Members
543 posts
5,906 battles

I find that the German BB line is great for randomly shots into smoke, great spread normally hits something. On the other hand, if you can see the boat, good chance you miss. 

• Funny 1

[WOLF4]
Members
171 posts
2,861 battles

Brawl. Get to Tier 8 and then move onto another BB line :)

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,455 posts
11,772 battles

Having played up to the Byern,  you should realise German accuracy is their flair...

When your full broadside dunks into the water instead of a ship 4 km from you, you have mastered them.

In all seriousness,  8 to 12 km is their best range.

Members
142 posts
15 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Welcome to mid-high tier KM BBs!

They get better or worse at higher tiers? Konig was tolerable. This one is insane.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
26 minutes ago, Poharan said:

Heavens, these guns are unbelievable. It seems like half of the time the shells are leaving through the side of the barrel rather than travelling the full length. There has to be some trick to this, right? 

So, tell me, is there some essential captain skill or upgrade that just has to be taken on the Bayern to make it playable? All I'm missing is the FKS upgrade, but frankly I don't see any point to longer range -- not like I'm going to hit anything. Aiming systems mod seems to do little as well.

Some of my favorite instances with this ship so far are when I fired center mass at a KGV that was 100% broadside from me 6.1km out, and I was rewarded with 3/8 hits: two overpens and a single regular pen. Also the time when I spliced a CV entirely from about the same distance. 

german gun accuracy -- or lack there of.  its actually sort of odd that WG went that route as a national characteristic for German battleships.  sort of flies in the face of history over the course of two world wars.  after action reports by the RN often noted the uncanny accuracy of german naval gunnery as well as the rapidity with which they were able to bracket targets. 

but whatever.  In the land of World of Warships, German BBs are typically played as close in brawlers not snipers. 

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Dirt said:

after action reports by the RN often noted the uncanny accuracy of german naval gunnery as well as the rapidity with which they were able to bracket targets.

Well I'll say there's SOME element of "uncanny" aim in my Tirpitz. That being its uncanny ability to hit things at range despite RNG's efforts to the contrary.

Seriously though, the trick with German guns is just to get up close and shotgun the poor sod. Dispersion can't hurt too badly if the enemy is filling your screen.

[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,050 battles

It helps if you are moored alongside the ship you are firing at.

• Cool 1

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,807 battles
58 minutes ago, Poharan said:

There has to be some trick to this, right? 

It looks like you do not have a lot of games logged yet. Do you know how to read a reticle and adjust your lead for the flight time of shells?

Members
142 posts
Just now, _Big_Lou_ said:

It looks like you do not have a lot of games logged yet. Do you know how to read a reticle and adjust your lead for the flight time of shells?

I have over two thousand. I like to think that's enough to get a hang of aiming.

Members
18,251 posts
5,219 battles
30 minutes ago, Poharan said:

They get better or worse at higher tiers? Konig was tolerable. This one is insane.

IMO not worse, but not any better. Got as high as FdG. Makes Bismarck look like a gymnast, but can't consistently hit squat past 12km. And getting that close in a T10 match early on is suicide. But if you get used to the guns, and learn to get closer, Gneisenau and Bismarck are a riot. 

Heh, you should have played Konig before they nerfed the sigma....

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,807 battles
5 minutes ago, Poharan said:

I have over two thousand. I like to think that's enough to get a hang of aiming.

Got it, you have your stats hidden. The reason I asked is because it was only recently 4-5m ago that I was shown how to better calculate your shots (flight time). Previously I had been shooting based on "getting the hang of it". Needless to say, my aim and damage improved.

Happy hunting.

[RKLES]
Members
7,213 posts
9,006 battles
1 hour ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

Aiming mod pretty much required.  And don't play it as a long range sniper.

Yeah this is major part of using Bayern, as well as many of the German Battleships, 16km if you must, but preferably doing your firing at 10-14km or less. German BBs are brawlers with good armor and secondary guns, but to balance things out they are very inaccurate at longer ranges.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 1

Members
142 posts
4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

IMO not worse, but not any better. Got as high as FdG. Makes Bismarck look like a gymnast, but can't consistently hit squat past 12km. And getting that close in a T10 match early on is suicide. But if you get used to the guns, and learn to get closer, Gneisenau and Bismarck are a riot. 

I'll probably try out France and just drop Germany, honestly. There're few things more frustrating for me than knowing you got off a good shot and then seeing your ship take it away from you.

It's in shades for all of the Nations' trees, of course, but Germany is crazy.

Edited by Poharan

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah this is major part of using Bayern, as well as many of the German Battleships, 16km if you must, but preferably doing your firing at 10-14km or less. German BBs are brawlers with good armor and secondary guns, but to bakance things out they are very inaccurate at longer ranges.

Yep!  I always see German BBs trying to snipe from the edge of the map and Japanese BBs brawling...  Know your line peoples!  

Members
18,251 posts
5,219 battles
30 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Well I'll say there's SOME element of "uncanny" aim in my Tirpitz. That being its uncanny ability to hit things at range despite RNG's efforts to the contrary.

It's funny you mention that. Somehow, Gneisenau and Bismarck are my two most accurate battleships, yet I take long shots, and don't typically try to force brawls. :Smile_amazed:

Members
18,251 posts
5,219 battles
2 minutes ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

Yep!  I always see German BBs trying to snipe from the edge of the map and Japanese BBs brawling...  Know your line peoples!  

I dunno, as long as you're not up against a KM BB, IJN doesn't need to fear brawling.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I have, it was fun, I only noticed the accuracy nerf on Bayern (was it nerfed) when my shells went from near Warspite accuracy to making the Kongo blush. The Konig nerf only when a friend started playing through it, and even now that ship is OP, that same friend nearly carried a T8 match in it. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,213 posts
9,006 battles
5 minutes ago, Poharan said:

I'll probably try out France and just drop Germany, honestly. There're few things more frustrating for me than knowing you got off a good shot and then seeing your ship take it away from you.

It's in shades for all of the Nations' trees, of course, but Germany is crazy.

Try sticking with the Germans until Gneisenau and Bismarck. Both are fast Battleships, great armor, awesome Secondaries, main guns that behave themselves better than Bayern, and the Gneisenau gets torpedoes same as Scharnhorst.