You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chobittsu

Argentina Confirmed!

192 comments in this topic

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,573 posts

So I was digging around the game files as I always do during a patch, and I spotted something in the flags
argies_by_chobittsu_studios-dcb5qc4.png

Perhaps our friends to the far south are finally going to get some love, maybe we'll be getting a Pan-American lineup of premiums

Confirmed~! I just found textures in a folder named "panamerica" called "VSC026_Nueve_de_Julio_1951"

• Cool 17
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
Just now, Chobittsu said:

Perhaps our friends to the far south are finally going to get some love, maybe we'll be getting a Pan-American lineup of premiums

Cool thanks for posting:Smile_medal:

[NNC]
[NNC]
Beta Testers
398 posts
5,675 battles

Most likely for the ARA Nueve de Julio, ex-USS Boise.

Edited by Noble_Taipan
  • Cool 2

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Hey it's a step towards a possible tree, or at the very least a new one-ship nation. Either way, more variety, I can dig it. Time to start looking up Argentinian uniform reference, @Chobittsu

• Cool 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

Since the submarine thread has reached page 16...which we all know assures game introduction of whatever is being discussed...it seems like a good time to introduce the ARA General Belgrano.   

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles

Not surprising, since we already got confirmation something last month that the test ship Boise would be renamed and marketed as an Argentinian ship.

The question though; will it be the first of a Pan American group as a Premium (a la Lo Yang and Anshan)? Or will it be part of its own Nationality like Poland (who does have enough ships for a potential partial DD line)?

[SOUP]
7,573 posts
2 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

Not surprising, since we already got confirmation something last month that the test ship Boise would be renamed and marketed as an Argentinian ship.

The question though; will it be the first of a Pan American group as a Premium (a la Lo Yang and Anshan)? Or will it be part of its own Nationality like Poland (who does have enough ships for a potential partial DD line)?

Game files point to a combined tree like Pan-Asia. So we'll probably see other South American ships in there too, they had quite the boom in ship-building in the early 20th century and had some interesting designs

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Given the new skin folder, I'm guessing Pan American line. I'm personally excited and now actually have a reason to want the Boise Nueve de Julio. Another tier seven US cruiser? Eh, iDunno... A whole new tree with new nations? That, via Argentina at the very least, has the possibility of including CARRIERS?! Sign me up!

So glad I made that list of naval prefixes on my naming doc last night.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,491 posts
3,435 battles
Just now, Chobittsu said:

Game files point to a combined tree like Pan-Asia. So we'll probably see other South American ships in there too, they had quite the boom in ship-building in the early 20th century and had some interesting designs

Thanks for that response. Looking forward to some Pan Asian BBs now; even if they're just low-tier fodder.

[WUDPS]
4,852 posts
4,744 battles

As long as we get British subs...the ghost of Thatcher will be kept at bay. 

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
7,573 posts
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

As long as we get British subs...the ghost of Thatcher will be kept at bay. 

ys7Ev1.gif

• Funny 2

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,536 posts
4,419 battles
17 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Since the submarine thread has reached page 16...which we all know assures game introduction of whatever is being discussed...it seems like a good time to introduce the ARA General Belgrano.   

I could support this, but on the condition that it's tier 8 so my HMS Conqueror can murder it.

• Funny 2
  • Bad 3
  • Angry 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles
20 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Tier 20-ish British nuclear attack submarine vs Tier 7 ex-American light cruiser. Yeeeeeah.... no.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,412 posts
9,589 battles
7 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

Controversy over that sinking, was considerable.  She was outside the exclusion zone and on a return course to Argentina.

Water-tight doors were left open, resulting in it's quickly sinking and ~30% casualties.

Don't know if the efforts were in earnest, but Argentina had a peace proposal on the table at the time.  This proposal was not immediately passed to the MP.  But after this..  Argentina went to total war.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,269 posts
17,289 battles
7 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

That, via Argentina at the very least, has the possibility of including CARRIERS?!

Brasil had a carrier too.

As long as WG fudges the dates a little, (the two were 50's-60's CVs,) either could provide a Pan American line a carrier.

[SOUP]
7,573 posts
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

As long as WG fudges the dates a little, (the two were 50's-60's CVs,) either could provide a Pan American line a carrier.

Republique and Henri IV use 1950s weaponry and tech, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to bring in those carriers as long as there aren't any jets involved
Canada too could end up with a carrier, though I think one of the Argentine carriers WAS Canadian

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
3,361 posts
12,156 battles

My wallet will be open. I like CL!

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
12 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Well they were active during the 50s/60s true, BUT! The Colossus-class that Argentina purchased were designed and built in 1942, entirely possible during the game's timeframe. And since Colossus/Majestic-class carriers are likely coming with the RN CV line anyway, it wouldn't take too much effort to make an Argentine-flavored premium version for the PanAm tree. Though sadly whichever one was chosen (Argentina had two Colossus-class ships) would probably be alone. Of Brazil's two carriers Minas Geraes is yet ANOTHER Colossus (so one or the other is likely, not both) and Sao Paulo is far too recent. Given that Brazil has battleships that can be used while Argentina doesn't, I'd say they'll go with the Argentine carrier.

Edit: @Chobittsu is once again correct! HMS Warrior in particular was gifted to Canada in 1946, so that right there is one ship that could show up in THREE different trees.

• Cool 1

[NGA]
Members
1,293 posts
7,846 battles

If nothing else, I suppose this increases out chances of seeing HMS Agincourt. For the curious, Agincourt was a battleship, initially named Rio de Janeiro, built in Great Britain for the Brazilian Navy. However, as occasionally happened in those days, construction took so long that she was outclassed by the time she was completed. Combined with Brazil having a bit of an economic downturn and relationships with their regional rival Argentina warming, they decided to sell the ship to the Ottoman Empire (who's navy was in such bad shape that a single modern armored cruiser essentially beat their navy single-handedly during the Balkan Wars). Of course then World War I broke out and she was one of two dreadnoughts the Brits were building for the Turks and were commandeered for use by the Royal Navy, continuing their grand tradition of stealing and then disguising it with legal fiction. She was notable for having the most main battery guns ever mounted on a battleship (14 12" in seven turrets), but this came at the cost of armor, a fact made even worse by the Brazilian Navy reducing the number of watertight compartments in favor of more comfortable quarters for the crew. She'd probably be a tier IV with her abysmal armor being offset by weight of shot and accuracy. Unless wargaming wants to pull a fictional modernization out of the same hole that they found the Republique, then they might be able to boost her up to tier V or even VI depending on her soft stats.

Edited by JediMasterDraco
  • Cool 1

[DAKI]
[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,536 posts
4,419 battles
4 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

though I think one of the Argentine carriers WAS Canadian

That 'Canadian' carrier was a British Colossus class carrier. Both of the Argies' CVs were British.

[SOUP]
7,573 posts
1 minute ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

That 'Canadian' carrier was a British Colossus class carrier. Both of the Argies' CVs were British.

Well, yeah, but it was ours first :D

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
13 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Controversy over that sinking, was considerable.  She was outside the exclusion zone and on a return course to Argentina.

Water-tight doors were left open, resulting in it's quickly sinking and ~30% casualties.

Don't know if the efforts were in earnest, but Argentina had a peace proposal on the table at the time.  This proposal was not immediately passed to the MP.  But after this..  Argentina went to total war.

War is hell

[NGA]
Members
1,293 posts
7,846 battles
10 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

*rolls eyes* Controversy. In war. Please. She was a military vessel and was an, admittedly informal, state of war between Great Britain and Argentina that the latter had started. If she was a civilian vessel it'd totally make sense that there would be an uproar, but a warship, by God it makes me wonder if people have even looked up the definition of war lately.

• Cool 3