You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

Defense of Naval Station Newport pays well this week

56 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
2,033 posts

1000 free xp, 3 times per day? that's pretty good reward

i am just wondering is this OP buffed to hard mode? I didn't pay attention to OP after got all 5 stars

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles

No, actually, it seems a little easier than the last time out.  That said, I'm having a hard time with it.  Hitting those DDs from head-on seems nearly impossible, and wandering outside the green line to get an angle is suicide.

Plus my Tier 7 ships are getting rusty.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,033 posts
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

No, actually, it seems a little easier than the last time out.  That said, I'm having a hard time with it.  Hitting those DDs from head-on seems nearly impossible, and wandering outside the green line to get an angle is suicide.

it's T6 right? what's the best ship for that? i guess i can take out cleveland or russian budyonny

Edited by Happy668

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles

It is one of the hardest tier 6 scenario operations, some teams make it seem easy.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,360 posts
4,288 battles

I have a whole bunch of Tier 6 ships now to give this a go. Try, try, try again.

Please, Lord, I will be happy with FOUR stars; but if it be your will, give me five so that the other players can also be happy.

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles
8 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

it's T6 right? what's the best ship for that? i guess i can take out cleveland or russian budyonny

Cleveland, Fuso, Normandie.  I don't have Budy but see it played frequently.   Slow BBs probably okay since they don't have to move much.  Gunnery is king.  DD not recommended unless unicum.

1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It is one of the hardest tier 6 scenario operations, some teams make it seem easy.

The trick is to kill the incoming waves quickly.  If they start to overlap, you're in trouble. 

[O_O]
Members
4,427 posts
9,599 battles

Arizona is deadly with her accuracy.  Just keep her inside the green circle.

My teams have refused to keep the red DD's out of the perimeter, and have instead chosen to whittle down the cruisers I can delete with one or two salvos.  Or, they charge out to open sea to get blasted quickly.  Best I managed this morning was 3 stars, and I had to carry my team for that...

• Cool 1

[-PVE-]
Members
117 posts
9,331 battles

The only change I see (except for the new players) is that the final CV does not rush the cap like it use to. It stays back until about 2 mins mark, so you need to have someone rush towards it to spot it. However, when you have a team that does not go out and search for the reds, you don't need to worry about this CV because the enemy comes to you.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,686 posts
3,832 battles

I find no difference in the game play of this ops. I play it the same way and the results are still rather consistent for me with 4 stars and 5 stars being achievable at about the same rate as I remembered.

[-AGW-]
Members
668 posts
9,523 battles

Did 5 stars with the Normandie on the first try last night. Mostly as a semi--stationary gun emplacement. I let the secondaries deal with the DDs while shooting the mains at bigger targets. And then for the glorious ram on the last enemy BB :Smile_izmena::cap_rambo:  

Members
439 posts
5,927 battles

The two biggest reasons I see for not getting the 4 or 5 star wins are by allowing the enemy team to breach the perimeter or being out of position to defend the CV.  Almost always this is a result of the team refusing to move beyond the defensive zone.  Don't go cray and run all over the map, but having an extra minute or two to kill each wave by moving up a little can make all the difference.

Edit:  Best ships for me were Cleve, Bud and Leander.  4 & 5 star wins with each.

shot-18.05.10_01.00.36-0628.jpg

Edited by Malamute_Kid
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,286 posts
25,374 battles

I tried it once last night because I wanted the free xp rewards.  Team disappointed.  I ended up the last die.  Got first place but mission failed.  Looked up the stats of the players on the team.  Was a mixture of Random and Co-op mains.  Didn't bother trying again afterwards.  Went back to co-op.  Not worth the aggravation to try operations again at this time.

[INTEL]
Members
655 posts
7,586 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

If you see me in later tonight, ping me and we can at least coordinate between us.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,033 posts
4 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

I tried it once last night because I wanted the free xp rewards.  Team disappointed.  I ended up the last die.  Got first place but mission failed.  Looked up the stats of the players on the team.  Was a mixture of Random and Co-op mains.  Didn't bother trying again afterwards.  Went back to co-op.  Not worth the aggravation to try operations again at this time.

everyone runs into bad teams sometimes, keep trying

my first try today won 3 stars and 2nd place, so got the 1k fxp

Edited by Happy668

[FACT]
Members
401 posts
3,935 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Had 5 Star win last night. Turned right back around to play it again: FAILED! :fish_palm:  (everyone bum rushing for the INJ/German kills)

The loss incurred as a result of having WG team me with 2 DD's in that particular battle, who were worthless. In fact, the only loss I had last night, was the only match that WG teamed me with DD's. Hhmmm...:cap_hmm:

I'm becoming a broken record here, but DD's in OP's are a recipe for FAILURE.**

** Disclaimer: I have been made aware there are exceptions. However, I have yet to personally see it in battle. So I remain quite skeptical.

Edited by ARandomClaymore

[ARRGG]
Members
4,732 posts
7,572 battles
2 hours ago, Happy668 said:

The Cleveland was my go to ship for operations till I bought the Vl Admiral Markarov this ships guns are more accurate and the rear traverse from side to side without having to go all the way around, fast 6 second reloads ..has 6 k Torps

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles
5 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

If you see me in later tonight, ping me and we can at least coordinate between us.

Sure.  I'll try to get on earlier than usual. 

[FACT]
Members
401 posts
3,935 battles
7 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

The Cleveland was my go to ship for operations till I bought the Vl Admiral Markarov this ships guns are more accurate and the rear traverse from side to side without having to go all the way around, fast 6 second reloads ..has 6 k Torps

Yes Sir!

I got the Makarov in one of the Santa Containers and I have been quite impressed with it. For whatever reason, I could never get the Nurnberg to work for me, but this is the same freaking ship, and I can make it work wonders. It's a freaking blast in OPS!

Edited by ARandomClaymore

[INTEL]
Members
655 posts
7,586 battles
14 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Sure.  I'll try to get on earlier than usual. 

The last couple of nights I've been up late with work.  Some of it's waiting for something to happen so I can squeeze a few matches in while I'm waiting.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,033 posts
32 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

i don't have that, but i can try nurnberg

Edited by Happy668

[TBW]
Members
6,410 posts
12,057 battles
44 minutes ago, ARandomClaymore said:

I'm becoming a broken record here, but DD's in OP's are a recipe for FAILURE.**

Sad to say it but, true dat.

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
211 posts
9,956 battles
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

There are two things that I think are different.   One good and one bad.

(1) If you fail to protect the perimeter,  the waves that spawn now don't seem to be as nasty as it used to be.  The players are getting a break for once.

(I've always had the same impression about the scenario since its launch.  If you do well or have a good team during the first objective,  things seem to go pretty well(easier maybe?).  BUT, if your team isn't good enough to do the first objective....   The waves that spawn due to the failure trigger is even more difficult.  So getting kicked while we're down.  And I will concede that some of the possible Bot spawn deployments were badly thought out and that made it harder through RNG.  This has been fixed quite a long time ago.    

(2) Fully equipped/19pt. BOT captains. This is an assumed global change for all scenarios.  What I saw was a situation where the 2 Bot cruisers chasing our spawned CV, were doing ridiculous damage to it. 

I can only assume those cruisers shoot the CV,  if absolutely no player is in sight?!  And if they don't have anything else to shoot,  the 2x Tier 6(Aoba,Nurn) cruisers took 30k off the Lexington's 57k in 30secs.  With added fires and burning piling up,  I would say they could easily nuke the Lex in 45-50secs which I think is a bit absurd...   Never saw anything like that in the past,   and I swear I remember seeing 2x Tier 7 cruisers spawning and chasing the CV before.  (I think some balance needs to be looked at here.  Sure..... a player should be around to take fire.  But the damage potential doesn't seem right,  regardless of that fact.)  Correct me if I'm wrong,  but you can potentially lose 2 stars from the Lex sinking?

Now I haven't seen any official notes specifically on 19pt Bots,  that have been cited by players.  Only player discussions on the apparent improved capabilities and defences of the bots that they've noticed.  And that the bots seem to have specific combination of skills, which means very high level capt.

The only verified info is https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/update-notes-main/update073/           

• Fixed an issue with bots showing poor combat effectiveness in Operations. They will now operate with the required effectiveness depending on their tier as was initially intended at the release of the Operations mode.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles

It's the inner defense ring.  If an enemy ship crosses it, a) you don't get the reinforcing carrier, b) extra red ships spawn (I think), c) you lose a star.