Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AVR_Project

Offensive words ?? How do I know??

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,228
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

Saw where folks get warnings and shouted down for being 'OFFENSIVE'..

Did an internet search for a list of Offensive words -- included here.

Comes from a college...  so don't be offended that offensive words are being used in a list of offensive words... without actually USING the offensive words to tell you they are offensive...   otherwise chaos would ensue and the planet would get sucked into a rip in the time/space continuum and get sucked into a black hole.

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~biglou/resources/bad-words.txt

 

Words that are also offensive here that are not on the list:

Submarine

Carrier

CV

Noob

Noob-lord

HE-Spammer

... any more?

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,105
[SPTR]
Members
3,474 posts
5,734 battles

Add "Conqueror main" to the list

Edited by The_first_harbinger
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,307
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

Reminds me of George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on TV:cap_haloween:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,819
Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

IMO, WG's TOS is made to be vague so they can give out warnings for anything they see fit.

I myself (and many others) have asked for clarifications, however they seem to be unwilling to explain.

Even asking a question like yours openly "could" get this thread removed and you "could" get a warning against your account. That is even possible when you are posting in the off topic section.

When you get pop'd, it's usually for creating a thread, and not really replying to one. I have a lot of cool things I'd like to share the community, however my hands are tied because I have no clue what you can and cannot post. If I were to say (hypothetically) to do a google search for something, you could be hit with linking a website they don't see fit for these forums.  Posting women in "normal" bathing suits (nothing close up, or scantly clad) "could" get you in trouble as well.

Like you say, there are many words allowed on this site, but others are not. We prolly won't ever know what you can and cannot say, or what you can post. It's really up to the Mod for his/her interpretation.

Basically, if you get a strike, it sticks.

Now, I have heard through the grapevine......... [REDACTED] I was asked to remove this by a fellow Captain, and not by WG.

Keep in mind that all "hypothetical, could, possibly, supposedly, etc.." comments above are not from any past or ongoing strike/review processes. The intent is to answer a question from another form member in an "off topic section" which by name is considered to be for topics that are different from normal topics on this board.

 

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,212
[WOLF3]
Members
6,423 posts
2,396 battles

bbaby

wallet warrior

those on my Ignore list

Some people find humor itself to be offensive (edited).  I find them offensive. 

 

Actually, this forum may be the least offensive on the internet.

 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,228
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

Can anyone tell me the name of the person on my picture here?  Try typing it in a reply...   lol

BTW..  Full name is Richard Milhaus Dastardly...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,307
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
4 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Can anyone tell me the name of the person on my picture here?  Try typing it in a reply...   lol

BTW..  Full name is Richard Milhaus Dastardly...

 

Richard Milhous "[edited]" Dastardly from Wacky Races:cap_haloween:

"Muttley, do something!"

Edited by Chaos_EN2
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,212
[WOLF3]
Members
6,423 posts
2,396 battles

Spell D!ck (the name) with an upside down 'i'.

 

Or, like Jingles, rename everyone Dave.

 

 

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,549
[PSP]
Members
6,251 posts
8,888 battles

Today's special snowflakes are easily offended. Yesterday, I was out dumping tree limbs and got to talking to an old fellow about some quail he saw. People have called him "poodle" for as long as I've been alive. Who knows how and where he got that nickname but he doesn't mind. Not much has ruffled his feathers since he took part in a little skirmish at a reservoir called the Chosin.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,549
[PSP]
Members
6,251 posts
8,888 battles
1 hour ago, AspiringCodger said:

He, she, Mr, Ms and Mrs are all supposed to be offensive now :Smile_facepalm:

I once addressed an older Mexican lady as "Señora." She made it clear to me that she was no Señora but rather a Señorita. Most women around here have no problem with being called "Miss" because they know that the person is just trying to be polite. The only time I've seen people get all hot and bothered about what pronoun someone used to address them was at college, and that depends on the college. I never had any problems when addressing my students as "Mr." or "Miss" based on their apparent gender, and that was out on the West Coast too. However, it wasn't at one of the PC colleges like Berkeley or in one of the "special snowflake" programs. My students were training to become field biologists.   

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,285
[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,558 posts

I've always found the word "Tet" to be rather offensive

  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
247 posts
4,320 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

. . . Not much has ruffled his feathers since he took part in little skirmish at a reservoir called the Chosin.

sounds like my father, who also wintered there 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,876 battles
3 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

IMO, WG's TOS is made to be vague so they can give out warnings for anything they see fit.

I myself (and many others) have asked for clarifications, however they seem to be unwilling to explain.

Even asking a question like yours openly "could" get this thread removed and you "could" get a warning against your account. That is even possible when you are posting in the off topic section.

When you get pop'd, it's usually for creating a thread, and not really replying to one. I have a lot of cool things I'd like to share the community, however my hands are tied because I have no clue what you can and cannot post. If I were to say (hypothetically) to do a google search for something, you could be hit with linking a website they don't see fit for these forums.  Posting women in "normal" bathing suits (nothing close up, or scantly clad) "could" get you in trouble as well.

Like you say, there are many words allowed on this site, but others are not. We prolly won't ever know what you can and cannot say, or what you can post. It's really up to the Mod for his/her interpretation.

Basically, if you get a strike, it sticks.

Now, I have heard through the grapevine......... [REDACTED] I was asked to remove this by a fellow Captain, and not by WG.

Keep in mind that all "hypothetical, could, possibly, supposedly, etc.." comments above are not from any past or ongoing strike/review processes. The intent is to answer a question from another form member in an "off topic section" which by name is considered to be for topics that are different from normal topics on this board.

 

Any word, for example, even a simple everyday word such as 'moist', can be taken as an Ethnophaulism (correct word for being 'rude/insulting'). It all depends on whether one is a snowflake or lives in the real world. Soon, we will all be reduced to the TV/Radio 'Beep Beep' overlay for comms! Example: The whole Beep is Tango Uniform for Beep's sake! lol. 

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,307
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

Well I will post on this, while I do not always agree with the PC police, I do understand where they are coming from. I am the head of a Japanese Owned Plant in Ohio, and three letter word that has been used towards Japanese on some posts here would get you fired here.

BUT there needs to be a little better insight on if the poster is using it in away to be racist, before hanging on them the title of Racist. When it may been just a case of trying to prove a point in their part.

Edited by Chaos_EN2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,212
[WOLF3]
Members
6,423 posts
2,396 battles

I use the word in historical contexts. 

Otherwise "jap" is short for jalapeño.  (I grow them .. and their big brothers.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,876 battles
15 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

Well I will post on this, while I do not always agree with the PC police, I do understand where they are coming from. I am the head of a Japanese Owned Plant in Ohio, and three letter word that has been used towards Japanese on some posts here would get you fired here.

BUT there needs to be a little better insight on if the poster is using it in away to be racist, before hanging on them the title of Racist. When it may been just a case of trying to prove a point in their part.

Yo' Chaos, as I stated in a previous post, to me the word "Jap' is nothing more than an abbreviation on the same line as 'Brit', 'Aussie', Yankee etc., Or even 'Grunt'.

'Chaos', well that is a Beep word!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,307
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
9 minutes ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

Yo' Chaos, as I stated in a previous post

My Friend, you have to understand to the modern Japanese that word is very derogatory. I know you do not mean in that way, but still times have changed. Just like a word used to describe Irish/Scottish Americans, some on this Forum would find derogatory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,876 battles
6 minutes ago, Chaos_EN2 said:

My Friend, you have to understand to the modern Japanese that word is very derogatory. I know you do not mean in that way, but still times have changed. Just like a word used to describe Irish/Scottish Americans, some on this Forum would find derogatory. 

I copy that Buddy, and have a lot of respect for your input/comments. I do use the word 'Jap', because I think IJN is more fitting for this game, same for USN and RN.

Edited by Gruntdog_3
forgot to put the word 'not' before Jap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles

Offense is never given, it is always taken.

It would be more accurate to title this thread (and the word(s) it discusses/refers to) as "provocations."

Edited by Goodwood_Alpha
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[NBGC]
Members
3,043 posts
10,248 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

You hear that sound? A sorta whoooshing noise? That's the sound of the joke sailing overhead

That happens a lot; I've gotten used to cheeky low-flying bats making belfry noises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×