You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grflrgl

Help on 7 ship games

4 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,603 battles

Hello everyone,

I need some help.

When Clan Wars rolled around, I thought, "what fun!" and immediately joined in. When Ranked season comes along, I got involved as well. And both have been various shades of horrible.  There's something I don't get about the 7 ship format.

I'm a DD main, so I wanted to continue playing DDs in CW and Ranked. (I had a 70% win rate with the Edinburgh, so I played that up to the switch at R10.) Since then, I'm lucky to be playing .500 ball. I've had some good games in the Shima, and in the Z-52, and one in the Gearing, but for the most part I'm struggling. Statistically, the Shima is my best ship. I can't seem to break the 50% win rate overall. Yes, I've had some teams that were terrible, but the main factor in my rather pathetic experience so far is....me. And I fully admit, I haven't found a T10 ship that I really like, and I have Shima, Z-52, Gearing, Des Moines, Hindenburg and Minotaur. I have decent winning percentages with most of them, but I just don't like them.

I have, however, noticed a very bad MM problem. I'm not using this as an excuse, but as a note to consider. I just came from a game with 4 radar ships on the enemy team and none on our team. I've had about 20 or 25 such games recently, and only 2 or 3 where we had radar and the enemy didn't. I don't think any of these one-sided games were victories for the teams without radar.

I got frustrated enough yesterday that I ditched Ranked and went back to Random for one game. I immediately got a Kraken with the Yugumo in a T10 match. I'm not playing a radically different style in Ranked or CW than I do in Random, but it's not translating into success.

So what is it that's fundamentally different in the 7 player game? What am I missing?

Thanks,

Grflrgl

[STW-M]
Members
2,074 posts
5,874 battles

Well, for starters, MM imbalances and player mistakes are magnified in Ranked compared to Randoms, since the reduced number of players means each player's actions matter a lot more. In addition, cap locations are changed, with certain caps becoming the focus of attention a lot more than in randoms

That Gearing that got torpedoed in his own smoke 3 minutes into the match? In randoms, you still have 11 ships, including possibly several other destroyers, that can still turn the battle around.

In ranked, such a mishap might mean that your team is now facing an enemy Gearing and Z-52 with only a Shimakaze, a scenario that pretty much guarantees cap dominance for the enemy team for the rest of the battle.

The enemy team got 2 Des Moines and your team got 2 Zaos? In randoms, that might mean that you simply go take another cap while your battleships eventually roll up the flank of Des Moines and delete them and the Zaos happily kite away from the backlines burning down battleships that already repaired a flooding from some torpedo hit.

In ranked, this could lock your destroyers out of capping entirely for a good while, allowing the enemy team to amass a large points advantage while the Zaos fruitlessly attempt to burn down the enemy battleships (don't forget that fire damage is 100% healable by repair party). There's a reason why battleships are regarded as the lowest priority targets in a match, and destroyers and cruisers the highest (not counting the unicorn that is a CV).

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,004 posts
13,702 battles

In short DD tactics for competitive modes are very different than random battles particularly clan battles where teams work together.

As you are no doubt aware stealth becomes a mute point where radar cruisers position and work with their team to keep you/the cap spotted. In order to adapt to this you need to exercise extreme caution until you know where each and every ship capable of spotting you is on the map.

You priorities need to change to first spotting for your team, area denial, then contesting caps and lastly dealing damage.  Knowing each map, where cruisers will position and where you can find cover become a lot more important.

It took me a long time to adjust my play style to where I thought I was contributing. 

Good luck

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,455 posts
11,772 battles
1 hour ago, Camo68 said:

In short DD tactics for competitive modes are very different than random battles particularly clan battles where teams work together.

As you are no doubt aware stealth becomes a mute point where radar cruisers position and work with their team to keep you/the cap spotted. In order to adapt to this you need to exercise extreme caution until you know where each and every ship capable of spotting you is on the map.

You priorities need to change to first spotting for your team, area denial, then contesting caps and lastly dealing damage.  Knowing each map, where cruisers will position and where you can find cover become a lot more important.

It took me a long time to adjust my play style to where I thought I was contributing. 

Good luck

This pretty much sums it up.

Clan wars you are talking with 6 other people you know.

Ranked can seem worse than PVP due to players not understanding the dynamics and thinking kill all is the only way to win.