You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mrieder79

Khabarovsk in Ranked

37 comments in this topic

[ICBM]
Members
337 posts
5,099 battles

I play khab. It's my only tier X and I like the ship, so that's what I bring to ranked. when I was rank 10-6, I didn't catch much salt for bringing khab to the game, but since I've hit rank 5, it's been real salty, I'm talking Dead Sea levels. Sometimes it starts before the game even gets going. Usually when people start out talking junk about Khab, we lose. When my teammates accept the ship and support it, however, we have a much better win rate. 

According to WOWS Stats&Numbers NA (I play NA), Khab has the #2 winrate among DDs and #4 winrate overrall (at the time of this posting). Khab is the strongest DD and will outmatch any DD (or 2 dds) in an even fight. Khab doesn't care about radar, he's detected anyway, so it's just another day at sea for him, and, of course, the DPS and fast-capping ability is useful. 

In short, when you see a khab on your ranked team, realize that while it does not fit the typical DD role, it can be very powerful and usfeul. Focus on working with this and staying positive and the team has a better chance of winning. 

[TNG]
[TNG]
Members
278 posts
15,132 battles

Your team probably gets salty because you probably never cap.  Capping wins in ranked.

• Cool 5

[-VT-]
Members
384 posts
23,140 battles

Great ship but has limitations.

If you are the only DD on your team?  Ouch.  Team lost stealth.

If lots of cruisers on red team?  Ouch.  Effectively countered.

If a CV game?  Ouch.  You are target #1 so don't get caught alone with your poor AA for the tier.

Great ship but not as well rounded as others.  Can it dominate at times?  Sure.  But it can also be neutralized.

Fun as heck, though.  ?

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[ICBM]
Members
337 posts
5,099 battles

Khab cannot contest caps in the traditional sense, but its speed allows exploitation of undefended caps. 

It certainly has weaknesses and takes a certain amount of understanding to play, but I just want people to realize that, statistically, it isn't a death sentence. The ship is competitive if played correctly. 

And believe me, there are plenty of times I wish I had a gearing or yang. Being spotted and focused x 4 for the whole match is pretty stressful. lol.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,004 posts
13,702 battles

Every season people get bent out of shape about the 'poor' ship regardless of what tier ranked is set at.

Besides If it's your only T10 ship and you want to play ranked............

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
42 minutes ago, Sabene said:

If lots of cruisers on red team?  Ouch.  Effectively countered.

What game do you play? It is rare that I see a cruiser hitting a kebab.

Just do your best OP! Plenty potatoes in Ranked :)

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,984 battles
4 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

To hit a Khab, you need to set the dynamic mark at 13, not 10. 

The spuds are prevalent in R10/R9. At R8, the spuds had either evolved (got smarter) or quit.

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles
29 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

As a Khaba driver I know to avoid Minotaurs, Neptunes, and Des Moines.  Basically high DPM cruisers...   They are the most dangerous ships for Khaba.  I do not fear other DDs or BBs except for another Khaba.  Well...as long as I keep BBs at arms length they aren't scary.  You don't wanna be within 10km of a BB, especially not one with nasty secondaries.

I've used Khaba in ranked but I also have Yueyang.  I think if there are few DDs in the match Yueyang is better but if there are multiple DDs Khaba is better.  But you don't always know which it will be before the match starts...  

Edited by _MiDKnighTx_

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
605 posts
5,048 battles

Just like any ship, play to it's strengths and have your captain trained to capitalize on them. I love my Khab. It clicked when I started to play her like a German Cruiser, only sneakier, with heal, and faster.

Pro:
Speed. You can get that early cap at the start of the match, then be doubling back to support your teams push on the contested cap. You can also chase down slower and more stealthy DDs in mid/late game.
Heal. Ditch that smoke and pick up the heal module. Ambush strike, disappear. Heal. Repeat. You shouldn't be hiding in smoke, you shouldn't be close enough to the red team to need it.
Range. Pepper the red team with HE from range, run the flags and captain skills to set the fires, and watch the damage rack up.
Accurracy. You can reliably hit salvo after salvo on cruisers and BBs from your maximum range. Get them annoyed, and they target you. That takes the heat off your team. You can handle the heat. You're in a Khab. You can also more reliably hit that annoying Gearing at range due to your flat trajectory and his parabolic guns.
Health: That annoying z-52 sitting in smoke with hydro? Run straight at the bugger.
Maneuverability: You're twisty enough at your max range to avoid a lot of inbound shells.
Everyone hates you: Open up on the enemy fleet from the flank, and everyone will have their guns pointed at you. Run away, disappear, turn back and repeat. Your team can pick them off one by one. If you're lucky, one or two of the enemy might try to chase you down.

Cons:
Stealth: You don't have it. You'll never have it. Why bother trying to improve your stealth when everything else will be stealthier. You can't contest caps. You will be spotted first by DDs. A Khab that advances too far into contested areas will soon be a dead Khab. You can't torp snipe. Anytime you open fire you WILL be spotted, so do it at range and get ready to run back out of spotting range.
DPS: Avoid going in close range against a Gearing without support. Avoid going into a torp battle against anything else. Avoid getting hydo'd or radar'd by anything while other reds are within range.

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles
20 minutes ago, HyperFish said:

DPS: Avoid going in close range against a Gearing without support. Avoid going into a torp battle against anything else. Avoid getting hydo'd or radar'd by anything while other reds are within range.

In Khaba I've never had a problem with Gearings or any other DD besides another Khaba.  I usually charge Gearings and blow them up.  I have AR, BFT, and the reload mod so my rate of fire is similar to Gearing but I have bigger nastier guns.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,984 battles
17 minutes ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

In Khaba I've never had a problem with Gearings or any other DD besides another Khaba.  I usually charge Gearings and blow them up.  I have AR, BFT, and the reload mod so my rate of fire is similar to Gearing but I have bigger nastier guns.

The problem isn't winning the gun fight. The problem is surviving the shells his buddies will be throwing your way. A lot CA/BB players already figured out the shooting lead time for a Khab, so relying on your speed to dodge is risky.

You probably will win a gunfight with a Gearing if you're both alone. But that's something you won't see in the opening or middle phases. Most DD x DD fights are brief because  a majority of both DD's break off contact as soon as they're spotted. why? Because of the number of ships that will be targeting you. The Khabs detectability value places it at a disadvantage in that scenario.  

So if you charge at a Gearing at the point of contact he's going to kite and head back to his buddies. And shoot torps at you. The  best end result is you breaking contact with about half your HP pool gone. Won't state the obvious bad end result. 

• Cool 1

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
605 posts
5,048 battles
46 minutes ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

I have AR, BFT, and the reload mod so my rate of fire is similar to Gearing but I have bigger nastier guns.

Any Gearing player worth his salt in ranked will have exactly the same captain skills loaded, probably with EM and CE to boot, and although Khabs guns are bigger, Gearing has more, will hit first AFTER launching a spread at you, and will likely have smoke to hide in while you're lit up like christmas after you start shooting back. At short range where dispersion and gun arcs are less influential, a Gearing will own you. 

53 minutes ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

In Khaba I've never had a problem with Gearings or any other DD besides another Khaba. 

You have two games in Khab in ranked. How much opportunity have you had to go head to head with a Gearing?

Most anyone will confirm random and ranked are two different kettles of fish.

[R-F1]
Members
34 posts
12,635 battles

I just ranked out in my Khab, using it from R5 to R1.  (I used Hindy in R10 to R6).  Ended with a 59% WR in the R5+ bracket.

But you really need to know what you are doing to stay alive AND be effective in the ultra-competitive R5+ matches.

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles
17 minutes ago, HyperFish said:

You have two games in Khab in ranked. How much opportunity have you had to go head to head with a Gearing?

I'm probably 20-0 vs Gearings in randoms.   I guess they issue a new buffed Gearing for ranked?  

Did not duel a Gearing 1 on 1 in Khaba in ranked but I did with Yueyang and won.

Edited by _MiDKnighTx_

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles
Just now, BusterXXXX said:

No competent Khab player would avoid a scrap with a gearing.  

Exactly.  Or any DD for that matter besides maybe another Khaba.  Just because it taxes health too much.  

[R-F1]
Members
34 posts
12,635 battles
2 minutes ago, _MiDKnighTx_ said:

Exactly.  Or any DD for that matter besides maybe another Khaba.  Just because it taxes health too much.  

Z-52, unless you can confirm that his hydro/smoke are on cooldown.

Edited by BusterXXXX

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,840 posts
9,586 battles
7 minutes ago, BusterXXXX said:

No competent Khab player would avoid a scrap with a gearing.  

How many decades until WG buff the plating on Gearing to be proofed against 130mm like it is 127mm?

[SF-3]
Members
1,536 posts
8,127 battles

I throw salt at the player, not the ship. I just find these sub-optimal ships are usually played by potatoes, Kagero's and Shimas especially, jesus christ, dont even get me started on those ships. I have played several games with a Khab and they seemed to have done well.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
3 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

I play khab. It's my only tier X and I like the ship, so that's what I bring to ranked. when I was rank 10-6, I didn't catch much salt for bringing khab to the game, but since I've hit rank 5, it's been real salty, I'm talking Dead Sea levels. Sometimes it starts before the game even gets going. Usually when people start out talking junk about Khab, we lose. When my teammates accept the ship and support it, however, we have a much better win rate. 

According to WOWS Stats&Numbers NA (I play NA), Khab has the #2 winrate among DDs and #4 winrate overrall (at the time of this posting). Khab is the strongest DD and will outmatch any DD (or 2 dds) in an even fight. Khab doesn't care about radar, he's detected anyway, so it's just another day at sea for him, and, of course, the DPS and fast-capping ability is useful. 

In short, when you see a khab on your ranked team, realize that while it does not fit the typical DD role, it can be very powerful and usfeul. Focus on working with this and staying positive and the team has a better chance of winning. 

people will pour liberal amounts of salt on you in ranked cause' it doesn't fit with what the various CC pundits have told them about the current meta.  They wanna see their DD drivers sporting Gearings or the Pan Asian knock-off. 

Its the same with Kiev at T8.  but I've been playing the kiev in T8 and having tons of fun with it.  and I don't typically have issues capping with it.  Speed boost plus off the mark at the start gun puts me in the offset cap before anyone is even thinking about capping it.    Its speed also makes it survivable into mid to late match when DD contribution really starts kicking in.  

I think if you can't cap in Khab because of your large butt concealment you should be playing very close -- but offset -- support to your other DDs while they try and cap.  Khab brings a ton of flat trajectory firepower to the table and if you can catch a red DD trying to cap in a 2 on 1 early match you can quickly gun down the red DD or send him packing.  

But yeah -- expect a ton of salt if your gonna bring a Khab to T10 ranked.  Just bring a thick skin.

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[SC]
Alpha Tester
128 posts
5,483 battles

I am wondering if the salt comes from people knowing you have the best chance at saving your star because of the inherent abilities of the Khab?  I mean a boat that can stay alive, do lots of damage, and cap at the end is pretty easy to keep a star, when I hit rank 10 a week ago there were lots of khab's in there, now you almost never see any because they have all moved up in rank while lots of others are stuck at 10.  Made me salty when the khab seems to just drive around shooting boats as it pleases and at the end of the match goes around and saves it star by grabbing a few caps behind the push.

Don't get me wrong that is how the boat is played but doesn't make it feel any better when your in a cruiser and do 130k damage and get 2 caps and kills and get snaked by a Khab with no kills.

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles
26 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

But yeah -- expect a ton of salt if your gonna bring a Khab to T10 ranked.  Just bring a thick skin.

Hmm after this mornings round I'm 3-1 in Khaba and 1-3 in Yueyang.  Granted I had some bad teams in YY.

There seems to be a lot of DDs in ranked these days and that suits Khaba's strengths.  

Members
567 posts
75 battles
3 hours ago, shoy07 said:

Your team probably gets salty because you probably never cap.  Capping wins in ranked.

Your win rate and WTR are insanely low in ranked for someone with over 11000 games played in random and over 2000 in ranked to be confident as you are in what wins matches. Snowball effect wins matches because capping is only helpful if you can cap and stay alive doing it, and more importantly keep the cap after you capped. And that happens most by the team that has more ships above water. 

The Khab has a high skill curve but in the hands of a skilled player, it's lethal in ranked because it can drive multiple enemy ships off the map or at least make the enemy BBs focus you instead of your CA's allowing your CA's to live longer and clear DD's. 

• Cool 1

[DAY]
Members
1,183 posts
11,759 battles

ive seen screenshot of r10bracket match, 5 dd per side

in these matches khaba works wonder

but in r5 where even 3dd per side is rare, most of the time it's 1 per side, sometime even 0 dd, if you are the sole DD, your team lose, period

so stop bringing khaba into r5 games, too little DD for you to hunt and traditional DD role is too important, especially when you are the only DD on your team

[BBP]
Members
335 posts
4,344 battles
26 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

ive seen screenshot of r10bracket match, 5 dd per side

in these matches khaba works wonder

but in r5 where even 3dd per side is rare, most of the time it's 1 per side, sometime even 0 dd, if you are the sole DD, your team lose, period

so stop bringing khaba into r5 games, too little DD for you to hunt and traditional DD role is too important, especially when you are the only DD on your team

Agreed.  So far in R6-10 I'm seeing a ton of DDs and that really benefits Khaba's game.  

But ya if R5 is 1 or 2 DDs per team then Khaba will have issues.