You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

How Does One Fight Against Cancer Divisions?

18 comments in this topic

[STW-M]
Members
2,044 posts
5,861 battles

One of the worst experiences that solo CV players come up against is fighting those cancer divisions that tend to start popping out at around tier 7.

At tier 7, these tend to come in the form of Saipan—Atlanta—Belfast and evolve all the way up to Hakuryu—Des Moines—Minotaur. Even AA-spec destroyers of certain nations can become almost Baltimore-like levels of AA.

It's rather difficult to effectively contest the air or surface battle when some cheeky AA-spec Grozovoi and Des Moines lock down all the contested caps and make air superiority, spotting, or attacking nigh impossible, doubly so when the enemy CV is using these AA-spec div-mates to protect his bombers from fighter attack and you can't even attempt to strafe without flying within 1-2 km of an AA-spec Des Moines.

Even the team clumping up together in one cap doesn't help, as this just makes them prime bait for torpedoes and cruisers spamming from behind islands.

How does one deal with these situations?

• Funny 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Yeah, concern yourself with taking out stuff that won't delete your planes, let your team take out the flyswatters. Just like any other match.

[STW-M]
Members
2,044 posts
5,861 battles
5 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Yeah, concern yourself with taking out stuff that won't delete your planes, let your team take out the flyswatters. Just like any other match.

Rather difficult when all of the enemy team are clumping around those caps and thus within range of said AA-spec ships. Doubly so when these ships carry around their own concealment (namely, smoke).

Isolated ships are no problem, but when things like this occur...

Edited by Avenge_December_7

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,578 battles

As far as I can tell... and it kind of sucks, but the best answer is to make your own cancer division :Smile_sceptic:

[YAN]
Members
1,640 posts
7,466 battles

Best to focus on negating the enemy carriers presence by removing their strikes to try to equalize the effects of the AA div.

Then just focus on trying to get strikes in where you can. That's how I deal with them.

[RKLES]
Members
7,197 posts
8,955 battles

Lol I avoid these troubles by using BBs, CAs, and DDs most of the time, but do enjoy CVs as well.

My trick is not to play CVs during the day when school is in session r  during the earliest hours of the morning when kids are asleep. Because the more mature players know how to counter CVs. But during Summer Vacation, Weekends, and Holidays I will use CVs since the chances of being able to feed on weaker AA ships and clueless CVs is much higher.

[STW-M]
Members
2,044 posts
5,861 battles
28 minutes ago, Volga1987 said:

"cancer divisions" :Smile_facepalm:

Not anything that violates the game rules, to be sure (one of my previous threads established that pretty thoroughly), but Yuro made a pretty good video about it and division anchoring.

As for the term "cancer divisions", I'd say the term fits rather nicely, since it's a known way to farm WR and is quite unhealthy to the CV playerbase, and possibly to other classes as well..

After all, would you like to fight triple Belfast divisions in a tier 5-7 ship or a Saipan-Kutuzov-Kidd division in a Hiryu, Ranger, or even Kaga?

• Cool 1

[LOD_2]
Members
263 posts
38 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Not anything that violates the game rules, to be sure (one of my previous threads established that pretty thoroughly), but Yuro made a pretty good video about it and division anchoring.

As for the term "cancer divisions", I'd say the term fits rather nicely, since it's a known way to farm WR and is quite unhealthy to the CV playerbase, and possibly to other classes as well..

After all, would you like to fight triple Belfast divisions in a tier 5-7 ship or a Saipan-Kutuzov-Kidd division in a Hiryu, Ranger, or even Kaga?

I understand what you mean by that, i just cant stand this term. Not ment to be personaly.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,960 battles
3 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Rather difficult when all of the enemy team are clumping around those caps and thus within range of said AA-spec ships. Doubly so when these ships carry around their own concealment (namely, smoke).

Isolated ships are no problem, but when things like this occur...

That's what's PADD's are good for. Taking out clumpers.

[STW-M]
Members
2,044 posts
5,861 battles
4 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

That's what's PADD's are good for. Taking out clumpers.

Of course, MM has to be generous enough to give you a PADD, not to mention several destroyers like Gearing and Grozovoi can still rip your planes to shreds with the proper captain skills (and while hiding behind an island so that even normal torpedoes can't hit them).

Members
23 posts
4,040 battles

While I agree that the CV's do need some help with this, this is more of an issue with matchmaking balance than with CV balance. 

The balance shouldn't just be tier and ship class based, there is no reason a team should receive 3 Des Moines and a Minotaur and the other get 2 Zaos and a Moskva. 3 Radars to 1. Not to mention, me having to play 3 US AA Destroyers in a Lexington and the enemy Graf Zep or Enterprise only having to play German or Russian DD's. 

Matchmaking should consider consumables for the ships, as well as captain skills in the matchmaking as well. I wouldn't care if matchmaking was 5 min average if this was fixed.

• Cool 1

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,036 posts
11,208 battles

Patience + F3.

Focus in kill the alone ships and fighter the enemy cv distant from his AA div.

And use the F3 to mark his division (and random) AA ships.

Easy.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,359 battles

Some maps are far worse than others.  The fact is that on Shatter and Haven, if you are up against someone with an AA division, you are at a gigantic disadvantage.  Sometimes the only thing to do is to support attacks elsewhere and harass the enemy more than anything.

The cheaters who div their IXs with X cruisers are the worst thing about playing through IX itself.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

When I come across these situations, I just try to focus on helping the team take a cap as best I can, then focus on spotting, and hope that confidence breeds complacency (it usually does).

Edited by cometguy

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,359 battles

Groznyboi is most annoying ship to fight.  People get it to play as an AA division ship because they see it as an otherwise gimped Khakarosk (even though I don't think they are right about that at all).  It's so irritating because it's important to kill destroyers and the odds are that most of your team's destroyers are running in fear in the opposite direction of the cap and only you have brought the balls to defend the cap.