You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

8 comments in this topic

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
131 posts
2,010 battles

I operate on a MacBook Pro Retina and I'm been thinking of playing WoWs on my Windows 7 virtual machine, which runs on 4 GB, instead of playing the Mac Wrapper. Is this a good idea?

Edited by destawaits

[PVE]
Members
5,643 posts
18,236 battles

Really hard to say Desta, some prefer running it in Windows mode. I like running the wrapper. I am thinking about installing the game on my Mac Book, just worried about overheating. If you already have the emulation program installed, it can't hurt to try it both ways and see what works best for you.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,876 posts
1,338 battles

The wrapper is known for being pretty crash-y, but, otoh, playing the game on a 4 GB Windows VM isn't going to be very good either. 

Your best bet is bootcamp, so you're playing WoWS on a native-mode Windows install.

Of course, you have to get the license somewhere.  I got a Windows 7 Pro license from a local community college, and upgraded to Windows 10 when it was still free, so I'm all set, but now I think a Windows 10 home license is about 100 bucks?

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
131 posts
2,010 battles
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Really hard to say Desta, some prefer running it in Windows mode. I like running the wrapper. I am thinking about installing the game on my Mac Book, just worried about overheating. If you already have the emulation program installed, it can't hurt to try it both ways and see what works best for you.

Which MacBook? It won't overheat your laptop, but the game will crash, resulting in you having to restart your laptop sometimes.

Edited by destawaits

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

I used to play wows also on a macbook pro retina, but with 16gb of work memory.

I ran it by bootcamp, so solely on Windows (Windows 10). My dad had a similar setup, but used the wrapper. My game was stable and his wasn’t.

I used to have Parallels as well, but that was before WoWS. I think you can just try. 

Anyhow I now build my own PC, because my mac would overheat during summers when playing games.

[PNGYN]
Members
491 posts
3,049 battles

What I did, and this worked super well, is I purchased a windows key from ebay and bootcamped my Mac. The key only cost about $20. 

I went from being able to play at the lowest settings, 720p to Medium settings at full resolution. I get 50-70 FPS on that. 

The Mac wrapper puts so much strain on the system, its ridiculous. 

But I would recommend bootcamp. 

• Cool 1

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
131 posts
2,010 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 11:20 AM, Viper101 said:

What I did, and this worked super well, is I purchased a windows key from ebay and bootcamped my Mac. The key only cost about $20. 

I went from being able to play at the lowest settings, 720p to Medium settings at full resolution. I get 50-70 FPS on that. 

The Mac wrapper puts so much strain on the system, its ridiculous. 

But I would recommend bootcamp. 

Indeed. Thanks!