You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BenAubrey

Need to understand team scoring...penalized for torps instead of main gun fire??

12 comments in this topic

[GTF]
Members
76 posts
4,929 battles

I have a IJN level 8 Kagero, level 6 US Farragut, and tryin out the German v-25.  I have noticed my scores on my destroyers are consistently mid team totals to lower no matter how many ships I sink..

Is this because focusing on torps...and using stealth whenever possible....penalizes you on an overall team score....since I am not firing main guns as much obviously?  Not that I particularly want to change my play style but want to understand.  Loving WoW and the challenge of the destroyers (though still haven't figured out how to effectively play the Farragut). However for scoring...alot of times I purposely use  torps early to turn the enemy in on the flanks..even if I am not sure I am gonna hit anything at max distance...forces them to slow down as they normally turn back towards other ships behind me on the team who then torch the ships and get all the scoring credit....is that just life as a destroyer....or bad tactics on my part cuz it dang sure doesn't show up on the scorecard and not sure team mates even appreciate it.

Appreciate any responses....still learnin....

Personal score V-25

Team score V-25

image.png

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

Well, the scoring takes into account how much spotting you did, how much potential damage you had flung at you, and how well you participated (torps, guns, etc.) in the match. The higher tier DDs usually get higher on the team I've noticed than tier 5 and below. Torp hits and spotting really rack up points on the Kagero. Remember your stealth build on it!

[STW-M]
Members
2,042 posts
5,854 battles

Unfortunately, I don't think potential damage inflicted on an enemy are counted into xp gains.

It is important to note that different lines have different playstyles (hint: playing Russian dd's as a torpedoboat will not be particularly successful).

A few tips for xp:

• for destroyers, getting capping ribbons (in particular the capture ribbon, not the assisted cap) is an easy way to rapidly shoot up the xp ladder (I believe they act as a multiplier), although the unfortunate thing is that these ribbons mean squat if your team loses or if you do 0 damage.
  • damage-wise, percentage of a ship damaged affects your xp gain: getting 6k damage in on a destroyer means a lot more than getting 6k in on a battleship
  • potential damage, spotting, and other such subtle contributions also matter: check the detailed report tab on the post-battle results to see these things (or just make sure to turn these numbers on in settings)

A few tips on torpedoes (I'm not a dd main, but I don't think I'm incompetent either):

• don't always trust the indicator—it only indicates current speed and direction; any shift could mean all your torpedoes fired along the indicator miss
  • hedge your bets—I personally like to fire one spread on the indicator and one spread behind to account for turns or speed changes, but your own strategy may vary
  • use narrow spread—most higher level players always use narrow spread, since wide spread makes it much easier to dodge torpedoes
  • know torpedo range—don't torpedo the ship 10 km away with your 7 km torpedoes
    • if a ship at the very edge of your range is sailing away, don't fire torpedoes: the ship will be out of range by the time the torpedoes get there
    • if a ship barely outside your range is sailing closer, you can fire torpedoes since the ship will be in range when the torpedoes arrive
  • use your own intuition when necessary: if you think a target is going to turn away from you and around an island, fire at the area where you think the ship will turn, even if the indicator says otherwise

And finally, the most important rule when using torpedoes,

DON'T DO IT WHEN YOUR TEAMMATES ARE IN THE LINE OF FIRE.

Few things are as embarrassing as accidentally torpedoing a teammate, apart from the disciplinary penalties involved and the obvious outrage of the unfortunate torpedoed friendly ship and your teammates. Sometimes, a mistake like that can turn a victory into a loss (in ranked, for instance, committing a faux pas like that is pretty much game over for your team most of the time). Bonus points for ridicule in chat from the opposing side.

It's always the fault of the person who fired the torpedo if a teammate gets hit. Yes, perhaps he wasn't in the line of fire when you shot those torpedoes or something unfortunate occurred, but try your best both in actions and in words to avoid such a thing. If it does occur (as it inevitably will with all who captain torpedo-wielding ships—even unicums occasionally make this error), apologize, accept the pink, and do your best to avoid it in the future.

Edited by Avenge_December_7
  • Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,319 posts

Also in the example you supplied you did sink two ships but only did a total of >20K damage.  Unless they were both DD's (unlikely) then the percentage of damage you did to their overall health was relatively low. (IOW you were finishing off ships that already had a large amount of damage done to them) .  The rankings are based, in large measure, on the percentage damage damage you do, not if you finish them off. 

Also you will do better if you hit ships of higher tiers.

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles

Biggest thing I noticed from that screenshot is no caps.

Caps are worth a nice chunk of XP, and a DD is generally best suited to taking them.

Also, damage rewards are based on percentage of the target's HP, not the raw damage itself. This means that 20k damage on DDs is worth 4-5x the XP (at that tier anyway) that 20k damage on a BB is.

I'm not a DD expert, but I think if (provided your DD is suited to it) you go for caps, and the enemy DDs you'll often find there, you'll see your scores improve.

[GTF]
Members
76 posts
4,929 battles

Thanks for the comments. In this game....I fought and sunk another tier 2 destroyer who was at full health when we started....during fight it literally ran into map edge to the right of the  domination cap to try to avoid my initial torps and gun fire and then I sank it with a second set.  The other was a BB at below 50%.

The comment about percentage of ship health is appreciated...didn't now that.  And I thought 20k in damage on ships at tier II was pretty good...apparently not...lol.

And the cap points acting as a multiplier is news to me also.  In this game...I was the dd in the middle of the map and the two to my left were much closer to the CAP....they capped it...and then the fight ensued as the enemy ships came in.  Now I understand why the middle DDs will often run towards B..even when the call is to take cap A first.  Though in my observation they die alot...I guess the CAP is worth the risk!

[SIDE]
Beta Testers
111 posts
52 minutes ago, BenAubrey said:

...............................  no matter how many ships I sink ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''..

Personal score V-25

Team score V-25

image.png

another one that does not understand sinking ships is not the key to EXP.... don't you notice that when you get your ribbons ... look at your example >>>> Damage, Target Hits shells, Target Hits by Torps, Incapacitions, KILLS, set on fire, ......

Notice how far down kills or sunk ships are? they would be even further down if you have captured an area.  You could have sunk a ship with shells or torps and it had, lets say 200 hp left.  So who should be rewarded more?  The person who sunk a 200 hp ship or the person who caused 64,750 hp in damage before you sunk it? 

• Bad 1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,019 posts
3,491 battles

Something the others haven't mentioned: Dealing damage to a ship of a higher tier, nets higher experience gains. That doesn't mean you should strictly target ships of a higher tier, but that is something else to keep in mind too.

11 minutes ago, Zeuxis said:

another one that does not understand sinking ships is not the key to EXP.... don't you notice that when you get your ribbons ... look at your example >>>> Damage, Target Hits shells, Target Hits by Torps, Incapacitions, KILLS, set on fire, ......

Notice how far down kills or sunk ships are? they would be even further down if you have captured an area.  You could have sunk a ship with shells or torps and it had, lets say 200 hp left.  So who should be rewarded more?  The person who sunk a 200 hp ship or the person who caused 64,750 hp in damage before you sunk it?

When you say far down, what do you mean? Ribbons on that screen do not work that way.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/158381-first-battle-results-and-count-down-to-19/

If you look at the first image in that link, you'll notice that it goes: Hits, Torps, Incap, Kills, Fire, Flood, Cap, Assist-Cap

Regardless of what order you obtained the ribbons, or how much each action contributes to the experience gain, this is how the results screen will always display them.

Edit: Whoops, forgot that I never started fires in that match.

Edited by Counter_Gambit

[GTF]
Members
76 posts
4,929 battles

Yes.. I am "another one" that didn't understand....why I wrote the post asking for comments.   And as stated in a previous reply, one of two ships I sunk was another DD at full health when we started.  As a relatively new player, I don't know what HP a tier II or III battleship has off the top of my head..but pretty sure it is not 65k lol. and all I can recall is that I sunk the BB in close....less than 6.4 km....and it was definetely below half health.

Also didn't realize the list of ribbons was also an indication from left to right of their value to your point total...thanks.  If that is the case, then it kinda indicates that gun fire is more valuable than torp fire....which is what I am trying to figure out....should I use my guns on my DDs more to increase my point totals for xp and free xp.....though i enjoy the stealth approach on my IJN destroyers.   And someday I hope to understand how to use all this info to make my Farrugut perform better...my initial thought is the poor performance is the fault of the RL captain lol.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
2,019 posts
3,491 battles
2 minutes ago, BenAubrey said:

Also didn't realize the list of ribbons was also an indication from left to right of their value to your point total...thanks.

It's not an indication of anything, it's just how the results screen always displays them.

If you deal 1000 damage with a torpedo, and 1000 damage with main battery, on the same ship, you'll get the same experience from both.

Health percentage matters more, than the source of the damage.

If what that man said was true, then Fires and Floods should be to the left of the kill ribbon, along with capture ribbons, and assisted capture ribbons, because those grant more experience than kills.

Kills net 0 additional experience. So only the experience gained from damaging the ship matters.

Experience earners that aren't tracked via ribbons: Damage upon your spotting, and potential damage.

[NUWES]
Members
1,651 posts
5,536 battles
39 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Biggest thing I noticed from that screenshot is no caps.

Caps are worth a nice chunk of XP, and a DD is generally best suited to taking them.

Also, damage rewards are based on percentage of the target's HP, not the raw damage itself. This means that 20k damage on DDs is worth 4-5x the XP (at that tier anyway) that 20k damage on a BB is.

I'm not a DD expert, but I think if (provided your DD is suited to it) you go for caps, and the enemy DDs you'll often find there, you'll see your scores improve.

^ This.

I'm only middling with my DD skill, but Caps are what really makes for a great score. That plus spotting damage. I've had spectacular games in DDs where didn't hit with a single torpedo and I only got 10 or so gun hits. Those games I got lots of caps and assisted caps (and a ton of damage from my spotting). I don't know how the game weighs various items but caps (taking, assisting, and defending) seem to be the single highest contributor to high scores and xp. 

Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

I would advise against gun use on lower tier IJN DDs, except under certain circumstances.

Finishing off a wounded ship while kiting out of detection range once the bloom dies down.

Going 1v1 vs another DD(lower HP) with no supporting reds to vaporize you.

Being one of many firing with few reds to answer, and those already occupied.

Scout, torp and smoke your friendly capital ships. You don't need smoke for yourself if you are stealth-built and wary.

Get points from caps, torps and spotting damage.