You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
paradat

Waterline 1.1 CV gameplay change

19 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,414 posts
9,544 battles

Hello all, 

Really surprised no one seems to be talking about the massive upcoming CV gameplay changes mentioned in Waterline 1.1

That opening statement about going to Action gameplay from RTS gameplay is the biggest change the game has ever seen. That seems to me to be a colossal paradigm shift. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,414 posts
9,544 battles

Bit more on the why the change from Notser.

[RKLES]
Members
7,211 posts
8,988 battles

hmm If you get what you want on a CV... I want Yamato hull and for Secondaries plenty of dual purpose secondary guns..

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,414 posts
9,544 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

hmm If you get what you want on a CV... I want Yamato hull and for Secondaries plenty of dual purpose secondary guns..

LOL

I am looking forward to the change. I rarely play CV's but will be happy to jump into the new design. 

[ODIN]
[ODIN]
Members
456 posts
13,323 battles

This is just my opinion, but I don't know if I'm excited about this. I really enjoyed CV game play back in the earlier days. I like the RTS mode personally, it was a great change if pace when I was bored with the other classes. I can't comment too far in depth as we don't really know whats going to happen. However, I hope it works out and is really unique still.

[SF-A]
Members
2,895 posts
5,707 battles

Too early to make anything substantive. I'll be interested to see how the creative team is going to make CV lessons more applicable in other ship roles and vice versa.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,414 posts
9,544 battles
4 minutes ago, Spieges said:

This is just my opinion, but I don't know if I'm excited about this. I really enjoyed CV game play back in the earlier days. I like the RTS mode personally, it was a great change if pace when I was bored with the other classes. I can't comment too far in depth as we don't really know whats going to happen. However, I hope it works out and is really unique still.

Yeah I am in the same place. It is just so amazing how huge a change this is. This is an even bigger change the Arty make over in WOT.

I applaud them for going for it. The class is definitely in trouble and worth saving.

[RKLES]
Members
7,211 posts
8,988 battles
14 minutes ago, paradat said:

LOL

I am looking forward to the change. I rarely play CV's but will be happy to jump into the new design. 

My only concern would be if Wargaming ever gave far more direct control over flying the planes since it would make CVs the most powerful thing in the game, many DDs would be useless without the AA to defend against the planes which would have very high precision bomb drops. But from the sounds of things they are likely just giving players more options on loadouts for their CVs which should be ok. Although if you replaced Dive Bombef squadrons with more Torpedo squadrons that could get out of hand as well. Imagine tier X getting 6 squadrons of Torp Bombers with the AS skill for extra bomber in each of those squadrons. If they pack hunted ships nothing would dodge those Torps.

I play mainly surface ships, but still enjoy taking my CVs out as well, but would not want total dominance when using my CVs.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

We DID all talk about this video and multiple threads were created. You just missed them, lol.

Here's mine:

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,414 posts
9,544 battles
2 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

My only concern would be if Wargaming ever gave far more direct control over flying the planes since it would make CVs the most powerful thing in the game, many DDs would be useless without the AA to defend against the planes which would have very high precision bomb drops. But from the sounds of things they are likely just giving players more options on loadouts for their CVs which should be ok. Although if you replaced Dive Bombef squadrons with more Torpedo squadrons that could get out of hand as well. Imagine tier X getting 6 squadrons of Torp Bombers with the AS skill for extra bomber in each of those squadrons. If they pack hunted ships nothing would dodge those Torps.

I play mainly surface ships, but still enjoy taking my CVs out as well, but would not want total dominance when using my CVs.

I actually think you will have more control of a single squadron but you give up the top down view. As in no longer in the game at all. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,414 posts
9,544 battles
4 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

We DID all talk about this video and multiple threads were created. You just missed them, lol.

Here's mine:

Ah OK, let this one die then. Just thought it would be the biggest topic ever! LOL 

I am probably just too soon. I do no think the bulk of the player base understand what a huge change is coming. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,111 posts
11,948 battles

Well several months ago I decided to finally start working my way up the CV lines so have been a perpetual newb in the type but have stuck with it.  My approach was to go up both lines at the same time so I would spend twice as much time in a tier before leveling-up.  I only recently made it to tier VIII though still training in Kaga and Saipain...and my CV play is still laughable in those powerful ships.  So I'm likely learning throw away skills but since I'm not that good anyway it isnt much if a loss.  Perhaps I'll get to keep all my line ships when the rework is implemented and I'll get somewhat equalized with the experienced players while getting a leg-up over all the players that will want to start up the CV line.

When I'm sunk during  a game with CVs I always enjoy spectating the the vantage point of the aircraft.  I'm hoping the new rework will rely on that perspective because when actually playing CVs, you loose immersive perspective that makes this game visually stunning.

Members
142 posts

I really hope they pull off the change well. I love CVs in theory, but dislike their implementation in this game. I've never been much of an RTS player.

Could end up my favorite class if the change goes well.

Edited by Poharan

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,177 posts
11,693 battles

What is there really to talk about?  I personally have a hard time envisioning CVs in other than a RTS type mode.  All I can say is that I am skeptical.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,110 posts
12,663 battles

My guess is that it will be some kind of hybrid, not a total conversion. Something like, manual drops can only be done using first-person camera from the squadron doing the attack.

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts
19 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

My guess is that it will be some kind of hybrid, not a total conversion. Something like, manual drops can only be done using first-person camera from the squadron doing the attack.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking also.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles

So far it seems that it may even approach reality, please take what I say with a large helping of salt, as I don’t know what WG will do. The CVs may not be rebuilt from ground up, but rather from foundation up, keeping some of its core elements, such as RTS like, but losing things like a good reason to use the map view. Where each squad can be controlled like your ship, with main weapons on the planes being directed along 3D with strategy like gaining altitude and dropping on enemy squadrons in exchange for losing spotting at higher altitudes and gaining some stealth (will outspot lower altitude squads but can’t easily spot them, as they outspot by stealth, not spotting advantage). I also could see the torpedo drops, bomb drops, and AA having more realistic action, although maintaining the ability to Anvil Attack- err- cross drop, by being able to control more than one squad at a time.

Edited by GabeTheDespot

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
2 hours ago, paradat said:

Hello all, 

Really surprised no one seems to be talking about the massive upcoming CV gameplay changes mentioned in Waterline 1.1

That opening statement about going to Action gameplay from RTS gameplay is the biggest change the game has ever seen. That seems to me to be a colossal paradigm shift. 

It has been discussed, but the general consensus was that we know too little to really go into civil discussion and speculation. Then usually someone would jump in saying it is a nerf to CVs and the thread would either devolve or die. IMHO based on what Wargaming said as well as the discripton from one of the CCs at the summit it sounds like a Battlestations; Pacific-esque control style, just cleaned up and tweaked for WoWs.