Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Estimated_Prophet

Jaded/expecting too much?

19 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,383
[RLGN]
Members
8,266 posts
17,289 battles

Trying to work on my strategic sense in Bogue...

Okay; those for players should be able to handle those two bots; I'll go help over there, where the fight is even, (2 vs 2,) so they can gain an advantage.

Done; now go back to help the other fight; which is now 3 vs 2... Heavy strike on a BB, DoT. two players running away, a Phoenix fighting like a dervish.

Now 3 vs 1, but the Phoenix dies. Another strike on the BB, DoT, again, last two players wiped out; (a battleship and another cruiser...)

Sigh...

I think I'm jaded by how many games I've played; or my expectations are based too much on my (self-proclaimed) 'average' player's abilities?

Co-op or not; 4 vs 2 should have been an easy win...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
142 posts

There will always be someone worse than you. Having expectations that align with what you would expect of yourself isn't practical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
472
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

No different from my Ryujo sending out scouts, spotting the enemy, finding that they are all on the East, and my fleet keeps going West and slows down...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[WFR]
Members
433 posts
21 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Trying to work on my strategic sense in Bogue...

Okay; those for players should be able to handle those two bots; I'll go help over there, where the fight is even, (2 vs 2,) so they can gain an advantage.

Done; now go back to help the other fight; which is now 3 vs 2... Heavy strike on a BB, DoT. two players running away, a Phoenix fighting like a dervish.

Now 3 vs 1, but the Phoenix dies. Another strike on the BB, DoT, again, last two players wiped out; (a battleship and another cruiser...)

Sigh...

I think I'm jaded by how many games I've played; or my expectations are based too much on my (self-proclaimed) 'average' player's abilities?

Co-op or not; 4 vs 2 should have been an easy win...

lol... phoenix broadsided trying to get torps off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,752
[YORHA]
Members
3,338 posts
15 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

No different from my Ryujo sending out scouts, spotting the enemy, finding that they are all on the East, and my fleet keeps going West and slows down...

Sounds like a typical tier X battle to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,066
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,179 posts
11,693 battles

Yes, I am jaded.  I consider myself an average player, and while it sounds arrogant, I am not.  I am an above average player, and it's unfair to expect other people to play at my level, just as it's unfair of  the unicums to expect me to play at their level.  I think what really gets me, is that while I am an above average player, I am not good enough to carry teams, I need other players to carry their own weight and it frustrates me when they cannot.  I need to do a better job of just letting it go when the team just fails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[DAY]
Members
1,184 posts
11,759 battles

consider the amount of people coop to play, versus the amount of people coop to yolo and die asap so they can start another coop game asap to get enough games to erase orange status

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
286
[PLPT]
Members
636 posts
6,830 battles

A big reason people join clans is to division with comparably-skilled players.  In co-op, you can have a full team of nothing but division mates (no 3-person division limit for co-op). When my clan gets together for a co-op battle, it’s usually 5 stars on the first try.  If we haven’t seen the scenario yet, it make take two attempts.  So consider joining a clan and divving up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,263
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,262 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

4 vs 2 should have been an easy win...

You would think that, and yet, history has shown us that it isn't so!

1 hour ago, JCC45 said:

Sounds like a typical tier X battle to me.

Do you know how many players just WISH things like that only happened at tier 10?

44 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

consider the amount of people coop to play, versus the amount of people coop to yolo and die asap so they can start another coop game asap to get enough games to erase orange status

You do know you have to do some damage for the game to count, co-op or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[DAY]
Members
1,184 posts
11,759 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

You would think that, and yet, history has shown us that it isn't so!

Do you know how many players just WISH things like that only happened at tier 10?

You do know you have to do some damage for the game to count, co-op or not.

easy to land like 3 shots on your way to yolo

once you land 1 shot it's just a matter of broadside full stop to get out of game asap

Edited by jason199506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,263
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,262 battles
5 minutes ago, jason199506 said:

easy to land like 3 shots on your way to yolo

once you land 1 shot it's just a matter of broadside full stop to get out of game asap

which will now get you pink for 2 more games for leaving early, plus you don't get credit for the game if you leave early, if I remember correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[DAY]
Members
1,184 posts
11,759 battles
3 minutes ago, Umikami said:

which will now get you pink for 2 more games for leaving early, plus you don't get credit for the game if you leave early, if I remember correctly.

nono, you broadside full stop so bot can kill you ASAP

if you leave after you die, you dont get pink, and that's the exact point of suiciding in coop -  to leave asap without penalty

Edited by jason199506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
785
[STW-M]
Members
2,074 posts
5,874 battles

Embarrassing moments like these happen to everyone.

One game in Minsk a few nights ago, my team actually lost to a massive middle rush on Twin Brothers because half of the team couldn't be bothered with trying to stop the massive wave of enemies steaming into our base, and Minsk itself has quite terrible torpedo reload and close-range capabilities.

There are always positive moments when the team pulls together and snatches victory from the jaws of defeat. In a more recent Minsk game, a Gadjah Mada, a Schors, and I managed to carry our team from a 3v5 and a 200 point deficit to a cap victory, with both the Gadjah Mada and I getting at least 4 kills and over 1800 base xp.

The rain will eventually stop, and the sun will eventually come out. Just be patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,383
[RLGN]
Members
8,266 posts
17,289 battles
1 hour ago, SinisterSe7en said:

lol... phoenix broadsided trying to get torps off?

Actually no; the player turned out to be the only one really fighting, and killed a battleship; but died before I could get back and save him.

Fourth player may have fought, but I didn’t see what happened to them. The other two seemed to just be running away...

2 hours ago, Poharan said:

There will always be someone worse than you. Having expectations that align with what you would expect of yourself isn't practical.

Unfortunately...

I actually have a pretty low opinion of myself as a WoWs player; seeing how much worse other players sometimes are can be depressing...

For example; ‘here I am in New Mexico; uptiered into a T8 battle...

WAIT??? WUT??? How am I at the top of the team score list??? Aren’t T8 players supposed to be better players, who score more damage with their better ships???’

1 hour ago, crzyhawk said:

Yes, I am jaded.  I consider myself an average player, and while it sounds arrogant, I am not.  I am an above average player, and it's unfair to expect other people to play at my level, just as it's unfair of  the unicums to expect me to play at their level.  I think what really gets me, is that while I am an above average player, I am not good enough to carry teams, I need other players to carry their own weight and it frustrates me when they cannot.  I need to do a better job of just letting it go when the team just fails.

Yeah, sometimes have feelings similar to what you’ve expressed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
642
[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,861 posts
1,332 battles

First, OP, this is not personally aimed at you, or anyone else by name, and I don't even have a name in mind for this.

People expecting competive battles vs people who just play the game to drive cool ships and shoot the big guns, or torps, or w/e.  

It's called "Irreconcilable Differences" if it's a divorce.

Unfortunately, when one side is emotionally invested in their own statistical progress vs other players, rage ensues that the other people *aren't playing properly!!!!*

And there you have this thread.  One side doesn't understand that the other is not interested in playing by someone else's 'competitive' script.  The other side?  Doesn't care.  In fact, the more they get poked at, the less they listen.  

I know that some people think of Random Battles is 'competitive' because it has objectives.  By that definition, it does, I grant.  However, in practice, there's only one actual competitive play mode in WoWS: Clan Battles.  Everything else is pretty much wide open to anyone to play at any time, with a few ship restrictions here and there.  Think fantasy MMO PvP w/o any skill match, and that's the closest analog.  Even Ranked isn't competitive.  It's a free-for-all, the only restriction is the ship tier.  Oh, I know, it has objectives...but that doesn't make it so that you can 'expect' competitive play, unless you like wishful thinking.

Clan Battles is more like Starcraft leagues.  If you want a mode that you 'expect' a certain amount of skill in your opponents and your teammates, you can get that, once your 'placement' matches are over.  

Edited by mavfin87
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,263
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,262 battles
1 hour ago, jason199506 said:

if you leave after you die, you dont get pink, and that's the exact point of suiciding in coop -  to leave asap without penalty

I see your point ... but I'd really rather just hammer the snot out of a bot. (sorry about the really bad rhyme)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,383
[RLGN]
Members
8,266 posts
17,289 battles
58 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

First, OP, this is not personally aimed at you, or anyone else by name, and I don't even have a name in mind for this.

People expecting competive battles vs people who just play the game to drive cool ships and shoot the big guns, or torps, or w/e.  

It's called "Irreconcilable Differences" if it's a divorce.

Unfortunately, when one side is emotionally invested in their own statistical progress vs other players, rage ensues that the other people *aren't playing properly!!!!*

I don’t really disagreed with anything you said.

I should also say I’m not ‘competitive’ to the extent those who seem to enjoy Ranked are; certainly not even to the extent of joining or forming a Clan; (I’ve refused several invitations to join clans.)

If anything upsets me; it’s probably the apparent lack of of interest in a least winning I sometimes see.

Especially in Co-op; it’s not that hard to win. When I see players who seemingly don’t even make the least effort to do so, all I can do is shake my head.

Classic example; all someone has to do to avoid some torpedo spread is turn just a little bit; but they make no effort to do so, and wind up getting deleted.

Perhaps if fault lies with me, it is in the sense I play ‘to get my quarter’s worth.’

Survival isn’t necessarily always my ‘first’ priority; but it is important in that the longer I stay alive, the more I get to do in any individual game.

Some who yolo play to get as many games into a grind as possible, may not like me in that respect.

When I play a carrier in Co-op, and my team gets wiped out; it may take me nearly the entire twenty minute game to pull that victory from the jaws of defeat. Of course; that means they can’t get that ship back right away. :Smile_teethhappy:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
642
[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,861 posts
1,332 battles
29 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Perhaps if fault lies with me, it is in the sense I play ‘to get my quarter’s worth.’

I understand this perfectly.  I still play to win when I play. 

However, with that, I compare it with tanking a pick-up group 5-man Mythic dungeon in World of Warcraft: Some groups are great, and you're just going along, and you know you're going to win, but you're not sure you actually 'did' anything to make it happen;  other groups just suck, and you realize in a bit that it's going to be a mercy when the timer expires; then there's the groups where you actually are sure you contributed to the win (or the loss if you derped!).   That's Random and Ranked.

Co-Op losses are usually where someone yolos a bit too hard, and dies early, getting others mowed over with them.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
5 posts
567 battles

Best to go in guns blazing and get into the next match quickly, no sense in worrying about winning when >50% of the playerbase doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×