You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
1Sherman

I've been trying to figure out whether or not it's worth staying in the game.

90 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
5,052 posts
2,432 battles

I'm a little disillusioned right now, to be honest. I've had a rash of matches where I'm the only one that wants to be aggressive, push the objectives, and fight the enemy team head-on. As such, when I actually try to win the game instead of hiding outside the caps like a coward, I get focused down and slaughtered, with my teammates soon to follow. The end result: A crushing, one-sided defeat where despite my best efforts, I often do little more than soak up shots while my teammates hide and do nothing. This even happens in Ranked, the game mode where people are supposed to play smarter than they do in Random matches. In conslusion, I'd kind of like some advice.

1: What can I do to make my teammates push the objective and fight the enemy team head-on like you're supposed to? Hopefully there's something I can do that'll work every single time, without exception.

2: If there's nothing I can do to make my teammates play better, is there anything I can do to improve my play, something that will allow me to push caps and get good damage numbers without being slaughtered? I primarily play BBs like the NC and my recently bought Bismarck and I know how to play to their strengths.

3: If there's nothing that can be done about either or both of those, should I just wait it out and hope that this too shall pass or should I say "So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, goodbye" and just stick with Fractured Space?

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

[ARGSY]
Members
6,258 posts
4,224 battles

Grow a thicker skin. Vent for a couple of minutes. Then keep playing. It's what I did.

As one of those people who takes his battleship far forward in small-ship company and then abruptly finds himself alone and focused, with colleagues hiding behind nearby rocks as I explode and only coming out to fight once I'm thoroughly dead, I feel your pain. I guess I haven't yet found the balance between taking my BB forward in support of CL and DD, and taking it just a little TOO far forward. Working on it, though.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

If you are having a hard time with the game, go on a hiatus. 

1. There is nothing you can do to make other players fight with you other than push. I've pushed with my Ryujo and my results are mixed
  2. Take your time but move forward and stay with the team as reasonably as possible
  3. Go on a hiatus, come back later

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,399 posts
3,875 battles

Play mid-tiers. High tiers are cancerously stagnant and only get worse the more people can come up with excuses to not nerf battleship accuracy.

It's basically a place where only poor players and unicums can have fun. Poor players don't care about winning, unicums are good enough to carry them. Average players like me are good enough to recognize what needs to happen, but not good enough to make it happen, and so tiers 8-10 are nothing but frustration.

My winrate has gone down 2% since I started playing high tiers. I've since gone back to where the game was actually fun, where people know what the W key is for, and where battleship guns aren't so stupidly accurate that everyone cowers in fear of them while blaming other things for their behavior.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,682 battles

PM me this weekend, I'll be down to run some games with you. Also, ops are a good way to break a slump for me.

• Cool 1

[BBC]
Members
930 posts
12,314 battles

t8 is where you start to see t10s in game and thus the t10 meta is very passive, most ships are powerfully armed and can kill quickly as the distance shrinks.   I personally perfer t5 and t7 where more aggressive play wins the day. also talk in chat and try to get a few guys to push with you, lead by example, last game i said im taking my Richelieu into a Cap  and a dd and ca followed me in and we smashed 2 DDs and a BB. with no loses.   however the other guy that spawned with us went back ward and hid behind a island in the middle of the map. ( his loss in exp )

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,789 battles
33 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

1: What can I do to make my teammates push the objective and fight the enemy team head-on like you're supposed to? Hopefully there's something I can do that'll work every single time, without exception.

2: If there's nothing I can do to make my teammates play better, is there anything I can do to improve my play, something that will allow me to push caps and get good damage numbers without being slaughtered? I primarily play BBs like the NC and my recently bought Bismarck and I know how to play to their strengths.

3: If there's nothing that can be done about either or both of those, should I just wait it out and hope that this too shall pass or should I say "So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, goodbye" and just stick with Fractured Space?

Addressing each point:

1) Sometimes pushing a cap is what needs to happen, other times it is the worst thing that a team could do. Listing this as your first comment leads me to believe that you might not know when to push and when not to.

2) Asking how you can push caps and get good damage numbers without being slaughtered further reinforces my thinking from question 1.

3) There is absolutely something that can be done. I would suggest:

Join a clan that can help you learn the game from a more dynamic level. This includes map tactics as well as overall strategies.

Focus your aggressive play for the right time/place. Ex: Doing a ship count before pushing will help you survive. 4 Ships pushing 7 defenders will never go well.

Watch some twitch or youtube where top players are exhibiting top play. You'll notice that they are not pushing 100% of the time.

Happy hunting and good luck.

Members
4,545 posts
6,437 battles

OP regarding #1.  Many players are just fearful and play passive. Leave you hanging out to dry. Honestly I don't think there is much you can do about that. One thing I do see that can help some is getting a team in random with a GOOD player who assumes role of admiral and clicks on strategic ships and calls for others to focus fire on what he picks.  This can help those who are clueless.....IF the admiral knows what he is doing.  This can help a bad team. At least it points those who will listen in the right direction.  Sometimes.  My 2 cents.

[TBW]
Members
6,399 posts
12,031 battles

Just what ya need to make ya feel better.

[TDRB]
Members
1,079 posts
4,141 battles

Play mid-tiers. High tiers are cancerously stagnant and only get worse the more people can come up with excuses to not nerf battleship accuracy.

Why do players always think somethings has to be nerfed to make the game better?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Alpha Tester
5,052 posts
2,432 battles
45 minutes ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

Addressing each point:

1) Sometimes pushing a cap is what needs to happen, other times it is the worst thing that a team could do. Listing this as your first comment leads me to believe that you might not know when to push and when not to.

My playstyle is like General Patton's strategy: Attack and never stop attacking. Take all of your guys and charge headlong into the enemy.

[OPG]
Supertester
1,899 posts
10,229 battles
1 hour ago, 1Sherman said:

I'm a little disillusioned right now, to be honest. I've had a rash of matches where I'm the only one that wants to be aggressive, push the objectives, and fight the enemy team head-on. As such, when I actually try to win the game instead of hiding outside the caps like a coward, I get focused down and slaughtered, with my teammates soon to follow. The end result: A crushing, one-sided defeat where despite my best efforts, I often do little more than soak up shots while my teammates hide and do nothing. This even happens in Ranked, the game mode where people are supposed to play smarter than they do in Random matches. In conslusion, I'd kind of like some advice.

Nothing.  Occasionally someone is afk or gets in front of you just such a way that you can ram push them forward with you.   Aside from that expect people to potato and you won't be disappointed.

Absolutely, in fact the first step to improving one's game experience is realizing that the majority of your teammates are terrible at the game and if you want to win you need to improve your own skills and focus on the game more like it is a 1v12 with 11 other people who just happen to be there not shooting at you/you aren't shooting at.  Unless they do something in game to prove otherwise, assume every teammate is brain dead.  Until any teammates do something in game that proves otherwise, play like you are the only ship that matters for victory, because in most likelihood you are.

If you do sink before the rest of your team, continue to type in chat. Never assume your living teammates know what to do to best secure the victory, because most of the time they don't.   Ignore people who tell you to play your own ship.   All that matters is victory, not whether or not they get their feathers ruffled for having their potato behavior pointed out.

• Bad 1

[RG]
Members
111 posts
16,062 battles

Find a couple of friends and form a 3 ship division for mutual support. The game becomes much more enjoyable in most cases. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,399 posts
3,875 battles
8 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

Why do players always think somethings has to be nerfed to make the game better?

Because it's apparently healthy for the hardest-hitting, longest-ranged, heaviest-armored, most-survivable ships to also have 1000% improved accuracy? 3% in reality vs 30% average hit rates in-game.

People camp in tier 10 because battleship guns are far too lethal.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

Members
142 posts
4 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

People camp in tier 10 because battleship guns are far too lethal.

That's a bit oversimplified. Battleships camp because of DDs, DDs hide because of cruisers, cruisers hide/camp because of BBs.

Basically high tier sucks and gets really passive because everything is too lethal. 

Edited by Poharan
Spelling
  • Cool 2

[TBOW]
Members
1,251 posts
10,669 battles
1 hour ago, Vangm94 said:

If you are having a hard time with the game, go on a hiatus. 

1. There is nothing you can do to make other players fight with you other than push. I've pushed with my Ryujo and my results are mixed
  2. Take your time but move forward and stay with the team as reasonably as possible
  3. Go on a hiatus, come back later

You forgot to tell him to learn to play CVs...:Smile_glasses:

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,960 battles

Like they said..take a short hiatus. I'm planning on taking one after Ranked. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

I was in your position at about your game count.  Too aggressive for my own good.

What I've learned since is that the skill comes from figuring out when and where to push forward aggressively.  Done at the right time, you have a very satisfying time rolling up the enemy's flank, crushing everything in your path.

It's a lot harder than Attack!  But in produces better results.

If you're burnt out, take a break, but when you come back, focus on restraining your raw aggression, and channeling it into smart tactical play.

• Cool 1

Members
1,936 posts

Focus on individual play - you can't control other players in a Moba and it will only frustrate you to try, and to no benefit. 

If you can't let it go then go coop. 

[DRACS]
Members
3,503 posts

Honestly, take a break. I do it all the time. It is, after all, a game, and there are other games out there you can switch to when you start getting bored or disillusioned with this one. Just come back and play this later.

As for preventing a steam roll ... sometimes, you simply can't carry. Hell, Flambass has a massive playlist of videos specifically raging about potato teams and he is among the best players out there. Even he can't carry them all.

Unfortunately, as a game becomes more popular, it starts getting filled more and more with casuals who don't know how to play. More importantly, the game has been out long enough that even potato casuals can have one or more tier X ships. So all you can do is try your best to help the team win: kill destroyers before any other ship, push caps, dish out more damage than is inflicted on you, don't border hump. But if half your team gets wiped out in the first five minutes, sometimes it becomes unsalvageable.

it is what it is.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,399 posts
3,875 battles
15 minutes ago, Poharan said:

That's a bit oversimplified. Battleships camp because of DDs

That'd be true if it wasn't a complete lie. Battleships never camped because of destroyers. This is proven by battleships continuing to camp even after destroyers were heavily nerfed.

You don't bow-on camp because of torpedoes. You bow-on camp because of battleships. And the lack of torpedoes makes it easier to do this without being punished. Camping got worse after destroyers were nerfed.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Boring 1

[TDRB]
Members
1,079 posts
4,141 battles

Because it's apparently healthy for the hardest-hitting, longest-ranged, heaviest-armored, most-survivable ships to also have 1000% improved accuracy? 3% in reality vs 30% average hit rates in-game.

In reality DD's would roll over in high speed turns. They pinned the rudder to prevent it from moving. In real life no DD sunk a BB. In real life surface battles were nothing like game play. Few people would play this game if the gunnery was anything close to what it was in the real world.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
275 posts
4,363 battles

1) Observe the ships that you spawn next to, the ships that sail with you (sometimes different than spawn), or the ships you decide to support and follow. Read the mini map. Use the in game chat system to communicate your next move to your sail mates. watch for teammate acknowledgement. I have a high success rate in creating team play dynamics with this tactic.  

2) Learn  strengths and weaknesses of opposing ships by sailing  them yourself. leverage your new understanding when you sail your preferred ship. You quoted the art of war : "To defeat an enemy you must know them.", now live up to it. 

3) ask yourself - "Am I entertained?" - act upon that answer.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
945 posts
10,405 battles

It's pure folly to think that you can ask/make your teammates do what you think it's best to win the game. The sooner you accept that you can't change the way random pub players act and play, the sooner you can focus on things you can change to influence the outcome of a match. 

This is where map reading and predicting player behavior (both your team and the red team) comes into play. If you know what your opponent is doing, and if you know what your teammates are likely to do, then you can position yourself to have the most influence on the outcome of a game. For example, the sooner you realize that one of your flanks only have 2 bottom tier ships with 48% players, the sooner you can formulate whether it's in your team's best interest to play a delaying action and kite, or to put all your weight on your team's stronger side and hope to win by a big enough margin there to save your weaker flank at a later time. 

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,473 posts
4,763 battles

Join a clan or start playing with friends more.  Divisioning up helps tremendously.