You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

You Don't Have to be Good (To Help Your Team)

31 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,474 posts
4,768 battles

A few subtle reminders that even if you consider yourself average, or even think you suck, you can still help your team win and have fun.

• Cool 11
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

Thanks Zoup +1:Smile_medal::Smile_honoring:

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,805 posts
7,075 battles

practical and helpful advice.

Members
9,975 posts

:Smile_teethhappy:

If only the player base actually cared.....

And it's a pipe dream to claim that the average player in this game can do anything to help, except draw fire...:Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
272 posts
3,713 battles

And whats wrong with drawing fire. As a dd i regularly get 300-500k potential damage and often watch a ca get deleted by a bb as they pour shots at me.

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
34 minutes ago, awiggin said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

If only the player base actually cared.....

And it's a pipe dream to claim that the average player in this game can do anything to help, except draw fire...:Smile_teethhappy:

This game is made up of "average" players.  They are the overwhelming majority of players.  

• Cool 1

[FYL]
Members
610 posts
5,504 battles

Question is, why would i help my team if it doesn't give any reward for me personally? Yesterday i had 4 solo caps, 20k dmg into DDs and a craptone of spotting dmg (all in ranked), and all i got was barely 1k base xp. 

Edited by nothere01

[WAG]
Members
393 posts
7,531 battles
6 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

This game is made up of "average" players.  They are the overwhelming majority of players.  

If everyone in the game was a great player, than "great" would be the average ;-)

[SYN]
Members
31 posts
3,890 battles
1 minute ago, nothere01 said:

Question is, why would i help my team if it doesn't give any reward for me personally? Yesterday i had 4 solo caps, 20k dmg into DDs and a craptone of spotting dmg (all in ranked), and all i got was barely 1k base xp. 

Win rate?

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
2 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

If everyone in the game was a great player, than "great" would be the average ;-)

Sounds like a quote form the Incredibles :)

[BRZKR]
1,474 posts
4,768 battles
4 minutes ago, nothere01 said:

That's an issue WG is working to fix (albeit slowly)

[ARGSY]
Members
6,334 posts
4,264 battles

The only issue I have with this is laying smoke as a DD. My understanding of the current smoke mechanic is that it no longer benefits battleships, though it may benefit cruisers depending on the engagement range.

[FYL]
Members
610 posts
5,504 battles
4 minutes ago, bigsnit said:

Win rate?

yes, we carried the game for our Shima who decided to go all fun and engaging from the very first hit he received.

2 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

That's an issue WG is working to fix (albeit slowly)

You mean, dead slow

[HINON]
Supertester
19,224 posts
12,756 battles

The problem is that most of those helpful things you can do still rely on a modicum of map awareness, which is a large part of being good at the game.

• Cool 2

Members
9,975 posts
1 hour ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Yes, it's made up of a mass of casual players who treat it like a phone game, they sail ships, shoot stuff and never bother to learn the mechanics.

Your expectations for players playing for the team are great...if we had those type of players, but we don't...:Smile_teethhappy:

Believing you can somehow make this player base better is as delusional as WG seems to be on the subject....you can't make gamers out of casual players, all the threads on the devolution of the player base seem to prove that.

[DOG]
Members
437 posts
5,762 battles

Not bad advice. Newer players would benefit from a few short videos demonstrating each of the points.  Maybe with some examples of what NOT to do also.  If I ever figure out how to record games and post them, I could probably come up with a few of the latter :Smile_Default:

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,984 battles
1 hour ago, nothere01 said:

If it's ranked, maybe because you want to win? if you're into the "save a star meta" get a Conqueror.

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,984 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The only issue I have with this is laying smoke as a DD. My understanding of the current smoke mechanic is that it no longer benefits battleships, though it may benefit cruisers depending on the engagement range.

If it's helping them break contact, it might be useful. but most BB players are target fixated, that they still fire through the smoke.

Zoup, by sharing CA smoke with either another CA or worse a BB has several drawbacks:

1. Most CA smoke clouds especially the Kutuzov and the RN CL line are just Big enough so you can move around. That's to prevent BB/CA shells from  from landing.

2. That tight a space would prevent 2 CA's from moving around. The results are

a. You end up with ramming damage.

b. You end up taking damage and/ or  vice versa when your shell or his clips you.

c. You take AP/HE damage from a smart ship driver from your gun flashes. The chances doubles when 2 ships are inside.

d. Stay inside the smoke cloud and expect a DD to get in close to torp you.

And it get worse when A BB decided he want to share your CA smoke cloud. Because his gun bloom foot print wound be in the range of 12-16km. And when the shell starts landing, what makes you think you're not going to catch some of it.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,111 posts
12,668 battles

If you're willing to engage your thinking muscles toward the end of performing well in this game... you're already above average.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,179 posts
11,693 battles

While I agree with you in principle.  The problem is, that most players, what makes them poor players is that they don't support teammates or play objectives.  I don't really shoot very well.  I don't think the game 3-4 moves ahead like many of the purple super unicums, and I often go to bad places.  I do play objectives, and that is pretty much the difference between me at 57% WR and a 48%er.

[SF-3]
Members
1,533 posts
8,127 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

The problem is that most of those helpful things you can do still rely on a modicum of map awareness, which is a large part of being good at the game.

My thoughts exactly. You can easily be a good player without needing to dev strike a ship every time you shoot or launch torps. The issue is these "bad" players don't learn the mechanics, don't support the team and play as they wish, don't have map awareness, etc... That kind of player is bad anyway you cut it and can offer no help, only hindrance to the team. These kind of people, regardless of win rate, wouldn't even begin to know how to help the team in a meaningful way. This is especially apparent in ranked when 1 of 7 ships, or more, doesn't understand how to play the game.

Example, just this season I had half my team complaining and berating me because I refused to go into the AB cap at the start with my Loyang. I had to point out to them the enemy had 2 chappys, 1 NO and 1 Loyang. I would have died immediately. The crux of the issue here is people don't understand the game mechanics enough to see that, or understand what would happen.

Disclaimer, not speaking as an elitist or unicum, or anything like that, speaking from experience, from paying attention, etc..

[FYL]
Members
610 posts
5,504 battles
2 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

If it's ranked, maybe because you want to win? if you're into the "save a star meta" get a Conqueror.

I play for win. But being 4th while doing all the heavy lifting is discouraging. 

Members
18,245 posts
5,219 battles
3 hours ago, nothere01 said:

Question is, why would i help my team if it doesn't give any reward for me personally? 

Depends whether your priority is wins or rewards, which can vary, depending on what ship you're playing.

If I'm playing a ship with a 19-pt. captain, or a ship I'm grinding, or a task that requires XP/damage, then yes, rewards are key. (keeping in mind the bonus for winning)

Playing a mid-tier keeper? Winning trumps all else.

[DAY]
Members
1,182 posts
11,759 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

exactly this

you cant help your teammate if you dont know what you're doing, if you know what you're doing you're a good player

(for example, pulling a smoke for friendly cruiser with 3 enemy shima around isnt really helping him)

[TOG]
Members
2,484 posts
14,984 battles
32 minutes ago, nothere01 said:

I play for win. But being 4th while doing all the heavy lifting is discouraging. 

What is better? Last place on the winning side or first place on the losing side?