You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stepennwolf

Storms absolutely ruin games

81 comments in this topic

[AVW]
Beta Testers
4 posts
1,560 battles

I feel like this is an elephant in the room that just isn't talked about. It's such a useless mechanic that only adds frustration to the game, and it's 100% nonsensical. Imagine WoT if there were sandstorms or snowstorms.

I mean, who would ask for this? "Gee, i really wish something would happen in game that would completely take the action out of the match and not allow us to shoot at targets that are clearly directly in front of us. 

It's just a ridiculous mechanic that has no other role than to kill the flow of the match. Every time i hear that storm warning, all i want to do is just go back to port. Intentionally suiciding feels less of a burden than playing a match with an ongoing storm.  

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 11
  • Angry 5

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles

You do know, don't you, that there are plenty of naval actions which were not fought in sunny weather on a glassy-smooth sea?

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[AVW]
Beta Testers
4 posts
1,560 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

You do know, don't you, that there are plenty of naval actions which were not fought in sunny weather on a glassy-smooth sea?

Sure there was. There were also Japanese fighters that would kamikaze into US ships. That's not in game either. There were also depth charges, aircraft with radar submarines etc. 

If your justification for a broken, crappy mechanic is "bad weather was in WWII as well", then that logic falls apart when applied to other aspects of the game, or lack of. 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[TBOW]
Members
1,253 posts
10,700 battles

I find the storms generally come at a good time to pull back if you are being a bit overwhelmed and give you chance to catch your breath.  On the other side of that coin, it gives pushing ships a chance at some additional stealth to continue to possibly push.  And if you have learned to use RPF, as a DD or a Torp Carrying Cruiser, gives you a chance to leave a surprise.

Edited by gcangel82
  • Cool 1

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles

I like cyclones. They're good for getting into secondary brawls.

Now if only WG would give us an option to show the rain and storm clouds...

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,665 posts
9,071 battles

Just like Epicenter storms make you think differently and if you refuse to adapt and overcome things are not going to work well for you.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Storms are the great equalizer. When the storm hits, everyone has to get in brawling range. Suddenly the short range of a Cleveland or Abruzzi doesn't matter, a North Carolina can engage with its secondaries, destroyers can gunfight while stealth-dropping, carriers now have a more important role in spotting and, in turn, have to rely more heavily on allies for spotting. It's a mechanic that shakes up the gameplay and makes things more interesting. Heck one of my best (almost) carries was thanks to a storm that helped my Alabama break contact with two tier 9 BBs. Granted they kept wolfpacked together so when I tried to RE-engage and gain the upper hand I got swiftly deleted, but still, the odds got evened a bit, I could fall back and regroup.

• Cool 3

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I would prefer variety in this game. Not having storms mean... not much else is gonna happen in this game. Unless you can suggest something better...

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,872 posts
5,259 battles

I like them.  Changes things up a bit.  Encourages close-range, brutal brawls, which are a ton of fun.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,143 battles

Storms make things exciting. compress all the action to 8km, great fun. Yeah, you have to get in range, but if you're paying attention, you can prepare. When 3 or 4 ships from each team get in the same cap, things get real exciting real fast. I always look forward to storms, I know things are going to change, it's fun to try and take advantage.

They could do a better job with the effects. A cyclone is a bit more than some wind noises and rain. It would be cool to see the ocean really disturbed, with some serious waves. I realize that that's hard graphically, but what's a cyclone without waves?

• Cool 1

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,807 battles
26 minutes ago, Stepennwolf said:

I feel like this is an elephant in the room that just isn't talked about. It's such a useless mechanic that only adds frustration to the game, and it's 100% nonsensical. Imagine WoT if there were sandstorms or snowstorms.

I mean, who would ask for this? "Gee, i really wish something would happen in game that would completely take the action out of the match and not allow us to shoot at targets that are clearly directly in front of us. 

It's just a ridiculous mechanic that has no other role than to kill the flow of the match. Every time i hear that storm warning, all i want to do is just go back to port. Intentionally suiciding feels less of a burden than playing a match with an ongoing storm.  

Might I point out how you can use the mechanic.

Use the disengagement as a way to heal up and prolong your gameplay.

Use the mechanic as a way to get closer in a high detectability BB.

Set up a stealthy push where the enemy does not expect you.

As a DD, hunt enemy DDs without fear of being struck by brutal BB shells.

Use long reaching radar to fire from stealth.

Every mechanic in any game has a positive side and a negative side. Work to understand the varying facets of each mechanic and you'll improve your gameplay.

Edited by _Big_Lou_

[SF-3]
Members
1,536 posts
8,138 battles

Don't much care for them. I think they were cool at first, but that quickly wore off for me.

The more important question here is, how did you get negative 2 rep? How long has it been since you could down vote in the forums?

• Bad 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,343 posts
4,275 battles
10 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

They could do a better job with the effects. A cyclone is a bit more than some wind noises and rain. It would be cool to see the ocean really disturbed, with some serious waves. I realize that that's hard graphically, but what's a cyclone without waves?

Operation Hermes did a good job at improving this appearance, IMO. Yes, I'm sure more could be done, but it's still an improvement over the cyclone we have in game.

Quite often it is raining at the start of the battle but clears up as you move out. I'd like to see the rain continue, possibly with a spotting nerf, but even the fact of the rain provides its own visual nerf.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,665 posts
9,071 battles
13 minutes ago, Kevs02Accord said:

Don't much care for them. I think they were cool at first, but that quickly wore off for me.

The more important question here is, how did you get negative 2 rep? How long has it been since you could down vote in the forums?

The previous reputation system could go into the negative and some people actually trolled for negs. His must have been quite impressive to still be below zero after this long.

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Not only do I like cyclones in game, I want more types of bad weather events in game. Randomly throw everyone out of their comfort zone, and force adaptation. It helps prevent monotony.

• Cool 4

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,497 battles

Spawned away from the action in a map with many mountains in my Colorado. Spent a long time chugging into position so I could actually shoot something. When I finally got there a cyclone came up....nothing to shoot at again. Very dull game.

[RNJR]
Members
208 posts
4,217 battles

cyclones level the playing field. it allows BBs with horrendous concealment to sneak up on enemy Cruisers and DDs giving the BB the stealth they want :)  

[RLGN]
Members
8,269 posts
17,289 battles
37 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

I like them.  Changes things up a bit.  Encourages close-range, brutal brawls, which are a ton of fun.

Just now, Swift_Scythe said:

cyclones level the playing field. it allows BBs with horrendous concealment to sneak up on enemy Cruisers and DDs giving the BB the stealth they want :)  

One of my first games in Indianapolis was on North in a storm. Let me get close to B cap, where radar and the superheavy AP went to work; deleted three damaged enemies fast; two cruisers and an NC. I never would have been able to survive to get close enough to do so without map awareness and that storm.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,233 posts
12,772 battles

Ofcourse you don't like storms. They mean you have to actually move forward instead of sitting, sniping at range in your brawling BBs ...

• Cool 3
  • Funny 4
  • Bad 1

Members
3 posts
4,963 battles

I like the idea of storms. Not a lot of variation in the game as far as game modes. The storms add another element to the game that allows for different tactics and play styles. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,744 battles
1 hour ago, Stepennwolf said:

You are very, very wrong here.

Using WoT for a comparison is very flawed.  Why?  Because in WoT, maps have a LOT more potential for variation, because there are elements of terrain that simply will never exist on a WoWS map.  Differences in elevation on the playing surface, trees and bushes that obstruct lines of sight either partially or completely, etc.  These things create a variety that WoWS will never be able to match.  The playing surface in WoWS consists of a single thing, water, the ocean.  And the ocean is, for all intents and game purposes, flat as a pancake.  And on WoWS, the only "terrain" are islands of varying heights which block lines of sight and potentially lines of fire. 

In short, compared to WoT maps, WoWS maps are exceptionally boring.  Weather effects are absolutely necessary to add some variety to the game that isn't otherwise possible.  Beyond that, if I was still playing WoT regularly, I'd absolutely want those "sandstorms or snowstorms".  More variety is ALWAYS better than less or none at all!!!

Members
1,788 posts
5,664 battles

More Weather, We want weather............We are Naval People, Storms are part of life......:cap_like:

Members
1,577 posts
10,007 battles

I think the storms are good and bad.
They sometimes appear in good timing allowing my ship to get away and get repaired but at the same time I think they are a little too long.
Perhaps they need to tone the storms down a bit so that visibility mechanics aren't so extreme and for so long.
Tweaks: Maybe storm should dissipate a little sooner and visibility between ships a little bit better.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,811 posts
10,343 battles

I very much dislike cyclones, but with WG commenting about potentially expanding the Hermes-style weather into other game modes I don't expect them to go anywhere.

360 posts
194 battles

As soon as the storm warning pops up, I start to look for best places to either wait it out or if the map has them, better places to ambush enemies. I think they add a bit of difference in games, and happen rare enough that it doesn't become tedious or over used.