Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Chaos_EN2

Russian Cruisers and PvE

15 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles

I told my self I would not try anymore lines. But after getting the Varyag and Commander Victor Znamenskiy, I am thinking trying to go down the Russian Cruiser Line. I have tried this line before when I first started this game and stopped at the Budyonny (which I bought back to get Victor), so I understand that at least that they are glass cannons with Laser Guns from heck.

So I am look for general advice on how to play the line? Especially in Co-Op and Operations, and sometimes Randoms.

Is there any big "pit falls" i.e. ships to be extra careful with?

Do they all play basically the same?

Have any of you gone all the way up the line doing just PvE?

I am also read the forum to get some of this advice, but I know ships and the knowledge about them can sometimes change greatly in a few patches. So I am going to make this post.

Thank you all:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,405 posts
9,562 battles

RANDOM ONLY:  Budyonny is best played with a spotter mod from long distance.  Use HE and brighten everybody's day from half way across the map.

What the Belfast and Akizuki do from smoke, you can do in open water with a spotter plane.  Keep maneuvering slightly and keep firing as long as that spotter plane is up.  Got a special spotter mod  -- IT GOES HERE.  The enemy can shoot at you all day and will only hit every great once and a while when you do this.  Most of the time, you are out of their gun range.  They usually give up after three failed salvoes.  Use the Spotter Down time to re-evaluate and reposition on the map.  Then you only shoot at the very good opportune targets because you want to lose detection.

As long as you keep an irregular kiting course, they will very rarely hit you.  You can keep a consistent rate of landing shells on about any BB or large cruiser.  -- But most importantly, you must keep your distance.  This goes for everything Bud and up.

CO-OP ONLY:  Nose in and get close enough to unleash your suicide torps.  Battles aren't long enough to profit much from the spotter thing, and you don't have as many targets.  Switch back and forth HE/AP as required.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
26 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

This goes for everything Bud and up.

Thank you.:Smile_honoring:

[INTEL]
Members
6,661 posts
25,715 battles

True what he said.

Having them all, I'd say Budyonny and Chapayev are the best of the line (and keepers for me).

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
7 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

True what he said.

Having them all, I'd say Budyonny and Chapayev are the best of the line (and keepers for me).

Okay thanks, I was planning to keep them all T3 and up. I am goofy that way.:cap_book:

[FADES]
Members
152 posts
3,781 battles

Another thing to mention, make sure you take Priority Target Commander Skill for 1 point.  If more than 1 ship has you targetted, make sure you are moving and trying to get out of range/stealthed, etc...

Also, I like the steering gears mods on the Russian cruisers more than the Propulsion Modification (even though a lot of the wiki's says take Prop Mod) as I keep moving pretty much at all times, though I will vary my speed, dodging incoming fire is the key to staying alive in this and staying near max range when alone or not being the focus when with BB's or other CL's or DD's.

Good luck!

[TBW]
Members
6,403 posts
12,034 battles

The tier 6's are great for most operations you don't want to be the guy being concentrated on or hit by 1 BB shell. They shoot fairly long and fast though, so that shouldn't be too much problem. The Chapayev and Donskoi were not my favorites. I do like the Makarov with it's fast hard hitting AP and 360 degree turrets. You have to angle her quite a bit to get all guns firing but she swings quickly.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
52 minutes ago, digitaljustice said:

Another thing to mention, make sure you take Priority Target Commander Skill for 1 point.  If more than 1 ship has you targetted, make sure you are moving and trying to get out of range/stealthed, etc...

Also, I like the steering gears mods on the Russian cruisers more than the Propulsion Modification (even though a lot of the wiki's says take Prop Mod) as I keep moving pretty much at all times, though I will vary my speed, dodging incoming fire is the key to staying alive in this and staying near max range when alone or not being the focus when with BB's or other CL's or DD's.

Good luck!

Thanks. Propulsion Modification - I saw that too, I do not get myself.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
Just now, Sovereigndawg said:

The tier 6's are great for most operations you don't want to be the guy being concentrated on or hit by 1 BB shell. They shoot fairly long and fast though, so that shouldn't be too much problem. The Chapayev and Donskoi were not my favorites. I do like the Makarov with it's fast hard hitting AP and 360 degree turrets. You have to angle her quite a bit to get all guns firing but she swings quickly.

Thank you:Smile_honoring:

[-DPF-]
Members
769 posts
8,214 battles

I have the whole line and have played both PVE and PVP.  One additional point I would make to those above is that in PVE it is important to stay with other ships so that you are not the sole target of the bots.  The bots are quite accurate, and these ships are all rather delicate.  I personally really like Budyonny for Operations as she is a DPM monster and very accurate at long range.  One other point is that, except for Moskva, IFHE really helps these ships to do consistent damage.  Have fun!  These are interesting and challenging ships that require their own style of play, but reward you greatly if you learn their idiosyncrecies.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
6 minutes ago, Nhi_Vanye said:

I have the whole line and have played both PVE and PVP.  One additional point I would make to those above is that in PVE it is important to stay with other ships so that you are not the sole target of the bots.  The bots are quite accurate, and these ships are all rather delicate.  I personally really like Budyonny for Operations as she is a DPM monster and very accurate at long range.  One other point is that, except for Moskva, IFHE really helps these ships to do consistent damage.  Have fun!  These are interesting and challenging ships that require their own style of play, but reward you greatly if you learn their idiosyncrecies.

Thank you:Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,842 posts
10,605 battles

You and I already went over this Chaos but just want to say there is some good advice given here.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
422 posts
12,986 battles

5 hours ago, Nhi_Vanye said:

I have the whole line and have played both PVE and PVP.  One additional point I would make to those above is that in PVE it is important to stay with other ships so that you are not the sole target of the bots.  The bots are quite accurate, and these ships are all rather delicate.  I personally really like Budyonny for Operations as she is a DPM monster and very accurate at long range.  

I prefer Admiral Makarov for operations.  Has German HE (i.e. better penetration without IFHE), and better AP.  Only slightly less range.  Budyonny has a better fire chance, but in most operations fire is not a huge factor.  Getting quick kills is, and with a 6 second reload this is where the Admiral Mak shines.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,789 posts
9,825 battles

Russian armor is no where to compare, it so thin that it not funny. An example is that from the game, 1 salvo could potentially devastating you regardless of how you angle. The only 1 I felt quiet OK is the Moskva.

Russian will loose spotter plan to hydro after second hull upgrade. Russian had the highest chance of fire from HE shells and the most incredible laser beam from range. So you should stay far far away, at max range, often blend in with other bb so that bb is your meat shield, you can provide AA and torp and protection and some 4km area denial duel to the short range torp. IFHE is good up to t9, and no good at Moskva. Detection radius is the biggest, you will get detected at the early game when enemy dd go forward, so it is a hard decision of get between CE or IFHE first. I personally prefer CE, I don't like shot at, at early game and deleted instantly. WASD hack is a MUST. Don't wait for shot to WASD, you WASD before shot, in between and everything else to wiggle, as you get higher tier, players are very good at aiming and predicting your movement. PT in my opinion is not that useful, you already shot at regardless, wiggle and try to "self harm minimization" is to go here.

Starting from Chappy, you get radar, and it a wopping 11.4km (or 11.7km).

Play similar to the French cruiser, but don't really need engine whatever as mention above.

Learn to aim, this time, because you almost at max range, your aim is different from other line

Take the map awareness and take the opportunity when it come.

AP is nasty at close range to bb too, Russian had flat shell trajectory so they hit pretty hard, but again, you get too close to bb you will get delete so take the opportunity carefully

Edit:

I only do the Russian because during clan battle, I cant citadel Moskva in my Hindy, and I always get citadel in my Hindy. The only way I kill that Moskva is get him on fire, so I like it

Edited by ObiwankzKenobi

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,113 posts
8,680 battles
8 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

8 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

7 hours ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

Thank you all for the advice.:Smile_honoring:

Sign in to follow this