Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

The ups and downs of line splits

14 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
6,348 posts
4,275 battles

(The following applies to average players who run multiple lines, possibly free-to-play, and proceed at an unhurried pace; unicums who load up with all the flags and camo and can grind from II to X in a day need not read on.)

Up: Plenty of variety on both sides of the line; always something new to experience.

Down: There is that one ship which serves as the branch point, from which the two lines diverge. This is the ship which must be ground twice. It is important that said ship not be a difficult grind, with a huge bonus if it's actually a lot of fun to play.

I am currently in the Wakatake, working my way up to the Isokaze. I understand from reading around here that the Isokaze is a lot of fun and powerful for its tier. The Japanese line split having now occurred, I can take my sweet time.

I have done the Omaha grind to get to the Cleveland, have the Omaha still in port, and when the mood takes me I will complete the XP requirements to get the Dallas (because having the Cleveland is the key to benefiting). My Omaha experience had its fun and engaging moments (no detonations as such, but plenty of obliterations at the hands of battleship and cruiser gunfire), but on the whole it was very pleasant and not one I cringe with horror at having to repeat (I did it in 48 hours because I found myself suddenly with a lot of time on my hands, premium time from supercontainers, and no shortage of bonus XP camo thanks to the French events). 

I wonder where the cruiser split would be if they introduced RN heavies. Emerald? I'm there already, and though the grind filled me with horror the first time round I've had no such problems the second time. Experience is a good teacher. Danae? She was a fun ship, and I did better in her than in the Emerald BACK THEN, but I think now I would miss the smoke too much.

I feel a bit better this time knowing I can do the line-split re-grind in a Tier IV ship which (from my reading) handles Tier V tolerably well; it means I won't be facing massive up-tiering and ROFLSTOMP-itis.

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,327 posts
6,609 battles

That is kinda the story you have all the time. Unless you exclusively play Cruisers or play a line with only one branch for it‘s nation, you will always have to grind through at least one ship twice.

If for example you want to play all IJN lines, you‘ll need to grind through Chikuma twice, through Tenryuu twice, through Isokaze twice and through Myogi twice.

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles

Since I had Marblehead (and later Murmansk), I sold my Omaha when I unlocked Cleveland.

Due to the approaching USN cruiser split, I re-bought Omaha to earn the required XP so I can buy Dallas immediately on launch day.  I have many games in Marblehead (she was one of my first few premiums, and I really enjoyed the Omaha ships), so I fell back into the Omaha easily.  I built up the XP pretty painlessly.  Omaha requires a cautious, protective captain, however.  If you expose your broadside to any battleship you will likely feel the paddlin' for it.  If you make yourself a hard target, though, she can perform pretty well.

It would be nice if all line splits could be at the same tier so you could prepare for it a bit.  But, IJN DD's split from tier 4, RU DD's split from tier 7, and USN cruisers will split from tier 5.  I have wasted a bit of silver re-buying ships I have sold so I could earn the XP for the first new ship in the split line.  Silver is easier to come by than using Free XP, after all. 

Still not a big deal.  The enjoyment of having new ships outweighs the minor hassle and expense of preparing for said splits.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,251 posts

With the Russian DD's, technically you are grinding the same ship 3 times!    The tier 5 Podvoisky  is essentially the prototype of Minsk- same hull, same armament, same playstyle.  Minsk is just the improved, fully fleshed out version. (which you get to grind twice, if you want both Kiev and Oggie)  I would put Minsk in the fun category, and I plan to keep it and keep playing it anyway.

And then there's the premium Leningrad, which is also that same ship- but adds 8 km torpedoes.   Lol- so you get to choose:  Do you want tier 5 mm or tier 7?   Pure gunboat version or the one with good torps too?

I actually sidestepped the issue of regrinding by free xping up to tier 8 to maximize the # of free ships I got from the split.   On the day of the split, I got them all- inc Kiev AND Ognevoi.

With the new US cruisers,  While I'm currently on Baltimore I'll have to regrind Omaha.  (IF I want to get Dallas.)  Or just use free xp.    I'm not entirely sure if I want to play the CL's or not- I like CA's.   Short range, bad arcs, no torps, and super squishy- doesn't sound much fun.   Long range, good arcs- and super squishy (Buddy) already isn't fun.  Adding smoke and a heal? (RN cruisers) not my cuppa either.

Members
711 posts

I was under the impression if you have Cleveland to Baltimore, then you will get the ships from tier Vi to IX on both sides of the line-split

or at the very least Cleveland when moved to tier VIII grants its replacement Dallas at tier VI etc

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
14 minutes ago, b101uk said:

I was under the impression if you have Cleveland to Baltimore, then you will get the ships from tier Vi to IX on both sides of the line-split

or at the very least Cleveland when moved to tier VIII grants its replacement Dallas at tier VI etc

Nope. Right now the current thinking is that--if you have Cleveland and Baltimore in port--you'll wind up after the split with tier VI Pensacola, tier VIII Cleveland, tier VIII Baltimore, and tier IX Buffalo in port. At most you would have Dallas and Helena unlocked, and at worst you'll have an "Elite" Omaha that now has a Dallas to unlock. Both options have happened before in line-splits in WoT, so I'm not discounting either as possible.

Beta Testers
87 posts
4,076 battles

I really hope I won't have to grind up from the Omaha again because I am really looking forward to playing the USS Helena once it comes out. I already have all the current USN cruisers, but it looks like the Cleveland at tier 8 will be a hard grind.

[-PVE-]
Members
117 posts
9,325 battles

I am going to miss my Cleveland in tier 6 Operations. Not sure the Pepsi will be near as good. 

[ARGSY]
Members
6,348 posts
4,275 battles
44 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

At most you would have Dallas and Helena unlocked,

Given that winning the Bretagne and Normandie from crate unlocks in the French missions did NOT unlock Turenne or Courbet, I am inclined to assume the "worst" case here. Still, if the guesses are anywhere near correct I'll get a Pensacola with permanent camo on it (already on the Cleveland) for nothing, which isn't at all bad.

4 minutes ago, neworleanssaintsfan said:

I really hope I won't have to grind up from the Omaha again

I found it not that bad. Better than the Emerald, because with the Omaha I can at least torment battleships with fire at long range, and I still have a reasonable torpedo armament for when things get close and personal.

Then again, I don't give a rodent's rear orifice about my win rate, which helps cope with the losses.

Beta Testers
87 posts
4,076 battles

Its not that I don't like the Omaha (actually my favorite tier V cruiser), I just want to get to the Helena as quickly as possible. I'll probably throw some Free XP at it if the Dallas is mediocre (which seems to be apparent at this point).

Edited by neworleanssaintsfan

[ARGSY]
Members
6,348 posts
4,275 battles
5 minutes ago, neworleanssaintsfan said:

if the Dallas is mediocre

The impression I get is that she's basically going to be a six-inch-gunned Pensacola (though if I recall correctly, the twins in the Dallas are the B and X instead of A and Y). Helena is an American Mogami (CL version), Cleveland is... Cleveland; Seattle is a buffed Cleveland with AA capability on her main armament, and Worcester is the demon offspring of Minotaur and Atlanta.

Perhaps when the Worcester is finally in the game, people won't be whining about the Conqueror's fire meta so much; they'll have other problems to worry about. Both of them are IMO the answer to whatever WG is going to give us as a Soviet Tier 10 battleship.

• Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,814 posts
10,343 battles

Down -

I've already played past some of the ships, and there's little incentive to go back thanks to the way captain re-training works. I've already got DM and little incentive to play Buffalo. I'll start the CL line on Cleveland as I have Cleveland, so will skip Dallas/Helena.

If WG let you re-train captains for cheap on the same branch they're already at the top of... that'd be nice. As is, why re-train and buy ships which don't grind anywhere?

Splits are a waste of time compared to new content.

[ARGSY]
Members
6,348 posts
4,275 battles
On 5/9/2018 at 12:23 PM, mofton said:

If WG let you re-train captains for cheap on the same branch they're already at the top of... that'd be nice.

I would like to know exactly what the servers store with regard to a captain's history. If they stored the entire history of every ship he was ever in, making retraining cheap for previous commands would be easy. And while it makes sense for a captain to be able to go back automatically into every ship type he ever sailed in, having to retrain is a disincentive to take your 19 point captain and put him in a Tier 2 non-premium ship. I'm pretty sure it's there to discourage seal-clubbing. Of course it doesn't stop people from grinding a captain all the way to 19 points exclusively in a Tier 2 ship, but that's a decision they had to make and stick with way back.

It would be nice, for example, to have a few different captains with slightly different builds that I could rotate freely between my Tier 5 to Tier 8 British cruisers. They all operate in the same general manner (smoke, heal, hydro, torpedoes, AP guns), and a captain specced for any of them will do just as well in any of the others.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,251 posts
On 5/9/2018 at 10:46 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The impression I get is that she's basically going to be a six-inch-gunned Pensacola (though if I recall correctly, the twins in the Dallas are the B and X instead of A and Y). Helena is an American Mogami (CL version), Cleveland is... Cleveland; Seattle is a buffed Cleveland with AA capability on her main armament, and Worcester is the demon offspring of Minotaur and Atlanta.

Perhaps when the Worcester is finally in the game, people won't be whining about the Conqueror's fire meta so much; they'll have other problems to worry about. Both of them are IMO the answer to whatever WG is going to give us as a Soviet Tier 10 battleship.

That colorful description of Worcester made me laugh!   Kinda makes me want to try it!     Not eager to regrind Cleveland as a tier 8 ship, though- I may just skip it and go right to the tier 9.  Probably not, right away though- I'd want some games in the new tier 7 to see for myself how high tier US CL's play before jumping right int tier 9.

Anyone hear any rumblings on how the new tier 9 Buffalo is?  LOVE my Balti- if it plays anything like that, it should be fun.   (that is, provided I don't finish it first, and get my Des Moines before the split)

WHY do I like heavy cruisers so much??  Lol.

Sign in to follow this