You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Pussnboats

Ranked Play

17 comments in this topic

[ANZ4C]
Members
140 posts
13,369 battles

Getting very frustrated with players coming in a Yamato and making no effort at all to win the game.  Instead sitting in one spot (Literally) farming damage (getting no kills, helping with no caps) then not losing stars when we lose on  points......Has WG removed the xp  bonus for capping or spotting and increased the bonus for damage ???

• Boring 2

[ICBM]
Members
335 posts
5,081 battles

Just hang in there. I've played with and against plenty of good Yammy captains. You'll get paired up with them soon enough. Just do your best and it'll all work out in the end. 

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles

Hope you have a CV, that should scare the Yamato enough to hit the W key, especially if your own is spotting and defending the main fleet, as opposed to the spawn camping Yamato. 

[WORX]
Members
1,837 posts
12,880 battles

Ranked play in tier X? Yup its a disaster and there where many that where posting about it being a bad idea. Zoup said it best in the interview with the Mighty Jingles this week, "developers can not make players play there game as it was intended to be played, no matter how hard they try". I understand the developers point of view of trying to make the competitive rank play a little bit more challenging, but because of

• The losing fleet cpt who out damages everyone in the fleet, gets the advantage of not losing a star.

So now you have BBs like the Conqueror, or the Yamato sitting way off at the back of the map while cruisers and destroyers do the heavy lifting/carrying for the fleet. My recommendation for next season of rank ( I hope someone with some power and insight in WOWS could pick up on this idea),

1. Give BBs powers that benefits the fleet like in the Halloween event which was incredible.
  2. Use the Halloween event as you guide as to how to make a traditional match of WOWS be more engaging then just well farming DMG to not lose a star.

IF you guys like this season of ranked then heck I have nothing against you, but if you are getting frustrated over the behavior/shenanigans of certain class ship drivers thenI think its time to change it up. Cheers!

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles
25 minutes ago, RobertViktor68 said:

This is why I stopped at rank 10

I'm doing five a games a day dammit....no matter what.  But I agree with OPs frustration.  Too many folks playing not to lose a star instead of playing to WIN the game.  

• Cool 2

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,789 battles
4 hours ago, Pussnboats said:

Getting very frustrated with players coming in a Yamato and making no effort at all to win the game.  Instead sitting in one spot (Literally) farming damage (getting no kills, helping with no caps) then not losing stars when we lose on  points......Has WG removed the xp  bonus for capping or spotting and increased the bonus for damage ???

A humble suggestion that has helped me:

An exercise my clan has trained on in the past is to not use comms in a 7v7 match, only F keys. Despite people who play together regularly, not having comms leads to some interesting dynamics. Specifically, players start playing by monitoring the mini map and making sure they had options available. This approach works very well in a ranked setting. At the start of the game, review the lineups and think about the strengths and weaknesses of each team. Then review how the team distributes themselves on the map. Perhaps the Yamato you describe was simply farming damage. Perhaps they were in a position where they were blocking an entire flank. The ranked meta is a grind and does require some ships to "dig in".

A ranked story:

I was playing my Des Moines and was parked off an island near an open cap. My teammates had set up for a good defense of the other cap. I expected that the enemy team would become impatient and, likely, their sole DD would try to cap the open objective. It was the 10m mark before I saw the cap start turning red when I lit radar and killed the Gearing. At the end of the match, we steamrolled the enemy team and I was left with 15k damage to show for it. A salty player might have looked at my position before the 10m mark and wondered why I was not helping. I could have been called a camper noob. I was playing smart and keeping options open. By watching what was developing on the other side of the map, I made sure I was in position to help when it was needed. 

Questions to ask in game:

Is this BB camping or serving a purpose? Should I be helping them?

Is the current static gameplay helping the team or hurting it? If you are increasing in points, setting an ambush for a team that has to push is usually brutal.

I'm not suggesting that XP farmers or star savers do not exits and I can't stand them either, I'm simply suggesting that there may be more in play when a cruiser is behind an island or a BB is bow tanking from range.

Happy hunting and good luck in ranked.

Edited by _Big_Lou_

[D12]
[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,082 posts
8,964 battles

Or they turned the chat off.  

[RLGN]
Members
8,246 posts
17,263 battles
58 minutes ago, RobertViktor68 said:

This is why I stopped at rank 10

Rank 15; nothing else but the season flag is worth it.

Never mind the Tier 10 gameplay; Tier 8 isn’t worth playing in Ranked.

29 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I'm doing five a games a day dammit....no matter what.  But I agree with OPs frustration.  Too many folks playing not to lose a star instead of playing to WIN the game.  

Why not? All playing to win ever got me was deleted.

13 minutes ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

A humble suggestion that has helped me:

An exercise my clan has trained on in the past is to not use comms in a 7v7 match, only F keys. Despite people who play together regularly, not having comms leads to some interesting dynamics. Specifically, players start playing by monitoring the mini map and making sure they had options available. This approach works very well in a ranked setting. At the start of the game, review the lineups and think about the strengths and weaknesses of each team. Then review how the team distributes themselves on the map. Perhaps the Yamato you describe was simply farming damage. Perhaps they were in a position where they were blocking an entire flank. The ranked meta is a grind and does require some ships to "dig in".

A ranked story:

I was playing my Des Moines and was parked off an island near an open cap. My teammates had set up for a good defense of the other cap. I expected that the enemy team would become impatient and, likely, their sole DD would try to cap the open objective. It was the 10m mark before I saw the cap start turning red when I lit radar and killed the Gearing. At the end of the match, we steamrolled the enemy team and I was left with 15k damage to show for it. A salty player might have looked at my position before the 10m mark and wondered why I was not helping. I could have been called a camper noob. I was playing smart and keeping options open. By watching what was developing on the other side of the map, I made sure I was in position to help when it was needed. 

Questions to ask in game:

Is this BB camping or serving a purpose? Should I be helping them?

Is the current static gameplay helping the team or hurting it? If you are increasing in points, setting an ambush for a team that has to push is usually brutal.

I'm not suggesting that XP farmers or star savers do not exits and I can't stand them either, I'm simply suggesting that there may be more in play when a cruiser is behind an island or a BB is bow tanking from range.

Happy hunting and good luck in ranked.

Valid points; smart play;

TO ME...

Boring as hell.

Like how carriers are apparently supposed to screw around, scouting and swatting flies until AA is reduced or someone makes a positioning mistake; I don’t play Warship to sit on my hindquarters half a bloody game waiting for someone else’s mistakes.

I don’t advocate the RU meta of everyone yolo to the last man standing; however; everyone camping like a bunch of Heavies and TDs humping rocks in Tanks is just as stupid.

[SF-3]
Members
1,525 posts
8,114 battles

Yeah, ranked is pretty frustrating. Though, to be expected from a competitive mode where teams are formed randomly and consumables (like radar) are not taken into account by MM. Damage farming works till about R5, at which point it isn't enough to get the win. I feel like a lot of people are getting playing to save a star, and playing cautiously mixed up. If you are careless with your ship and die, it really hurts the team overall. So play safe and win. It's like a chess match, just wait for the enemy to make a mistake, then capitalize.

Best advice to you is set limits so you don't get frustrated, for me +2 stars per day, then I am done. Although, I might need to go higher until I get to R5.

[--O--]
Members
187 posts
18,178 battles

remove the save your star gimmick entirely, thats what i would do as the bb nonsense is annoying the hell out of me, esp when they click the caps and expect dds to go dodge radsr and torps whilst they are 18km back

[SIDE]
Members
1,409 posts
4 hours ago, hobblegoat said:

remove the save your star gimmick entirely, thats what i would do as the bb nonsense is annoying the hell out of me, esp when they click the caps and expect dds to go dodge radsr and torps whilst they are 18km back

There is more than one way to win. Yolo capping and dying in first 5 mins is just as annoying. In fact one could say the B.B. expects the dd to die and then leave them with no screens against red dd. Thus the only safe place is in the back. It comes down to working well as a team. All this blame a type of ship for not doing whatever is what really gets annoying.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

All I will say is ...... If you can Play the Yamato Better Why are you playing anything else?

[TNG-D]
[TNG-D]
Members
348 posts
8,820 battles

no people are using the right bb to play and potentially save their star. Ranked is now full of solo players that dont care to win. Its not just yammy players. Its all ships especially conqueror players. Welcome to the Hearthstone ladder of world of warships. Also Yamato plays like passive boat early and really until super late game. So i think your confused about its playstyle.

Players need to be losing stars all the way to the bottom if they keep playing poorly because they aren't following the team plan to win. I'm stuck with all the cesspool rank 10 players that should be lower now because i couldn't get away from them fast enough and far enough. This "captain save a star" crap needs to go away. It ruins the whole mode because arsehats play ranked like its solo mode instead of a team based mode. Honestly ranked should just go away and in its place just run more clan wars. At least this way the teams are composed of people that actually want to work as a team. If your not in a clan make one or get in one. Not hard.

Edited by MackDye

[SC]
Alpha Tester
127 posts
5,457 battles

So the save your star thing happened in I don't remember what season it was but also that combined with allowing people to stay at rank 10 and not drop bac to 12 is also killing the play.  Before you would have to go back and play more tier 8 matches and you couldn't sit at 10 and also have to play for 5 full ranks with those guys at 10, so if we changed that back that would help.  I say they take away the save a star thing and make more safe points long the way.  Or change up match making for ranks 10-7 6-4 3-1 or something like that so you are no stuck with the worst players for so long.

[TNG-D]
[TNG-D]
Members
348 posts
8,820 battles
5 hours ago, Nachoo31 said:

Or they turned the chat off.  

im actually at this point because the teams are so bad the chat is worthless. No one talks and then once the battle goes bad they all wanna cry about it and finger point. I may as well just have chat off. I dont need to see people's toxic rants. Please WG put a checkbox for the chat like tanks has so i can just click that and be done with it.

[LUCK]
Members
1,298 posts
19,563 battles

I hit R10 last night and played my first T10 ranked today. 4 DDs 2 CAs 1BB each side. Won it but it was a weird battle, very unlike my other experiences in ranked.