Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Italian Battleships

3 comments in this topic

[NGA]
Members
1,302 posts
7,893 battles

Discounting a possible little Russian indulgence in the world of supreme fantasy, this will be the last full line of battleships in the game (though there's the possibility of a US BB split). Anywho, I thought I'd just bat around a couple thoughts I had on the subject:

Dante Alighieri: She reminds me a bit of the Imperator Nikolai and makes me wonder if we'll either have a pre-dreadnought or a paper ship as the tier III like with the French.

Conte di Cavour: This class is a rather interesting one since they underwent a rather drastic rebuild (trading 13 12" guns for 10 12.6" guns and losing all of a large number of casemate guns) that would give her a rather different style of combat between her A and B hulls. Personally speaking I think it'd be fun to make her original form the tier V and then just give this form some minor buffs for the B hull.

Andrea Doria: Like with the Conte di Cavour, Andrea Doria and her sisters saw a radical rebuild and it'll be interesting to see how this is in the game. Just as a personal preference, I'd like to see the pre-rebuild as a premium and the post-rebuild in the tech tree, likely at tier VI. Admittedly they would be rather undergunned there so maybe a fusion of the two; secondaries and number of guns of the pre-, gun size, AA, and speed of the post-? Maybe you could make her guns rather crappy and turn her into some kind of support battleship. Actually this sounds like an interesting premium. Maybe play around with her DC and repair and give her limited Def AA and hydro. Yeah it's probably hoping for too much, but a BB meant to support a team (and be dependent on said team to do the real damage) rather than be the ship requiring support seems like it could be fun. At the very least it would give cruiser players  something to have fun with considering the Italian cruisers are kind of... lacking. Don't get me wrong they're pretty, but from what I've heard and seen, they're not really the first choice for combat.

Francesco Caracciolo: An Italian design that would've been an equal of the QE of course if this order holds true then she'll wind up at tier VII, so I predict that if this is correct, she'll receive some artificial buffs to keep her good.

Littorio: The non-premium Roma, I have difficulties with overpens as is (not to mention non-damaging penetrations but that's a separate issue), so I didn't grab said premium when she was around. Can't say I'd indulge in her if this line comes to fruition, but we'll see.

No clue what would go in the tier IX and X slots, but if nothing else we can count on them reasonably powerful since they will be battleships.

Personally, in terms of line characteristics, I think it'd be nice to see the first couple be in-your-face brawlers with powerful secondaries (and needing to be that close to use their somewhat small main guns) but the latter would be more long-range, with great accuracy, but poor armor. Admittedly the latter wouldn't exactly help the meta, but since when has anything successfully stopped the camping meta?

[ARGSY]
Members
6,455 posts
4,321 battles

If this line had started with broadside ironclads and ended with pre-dreadnoughts I know the perfect high-tier ships - the Italians in the mid-late 19th century built massive hulls with 4 x 17" guns, the Yamatos of their day - so there's justification for a 17" gun at Tier X, but it's dragging a 19th century meta into a mid 20th century design. As with almost everything WG puts in at Tier X (except the Yamato, which was real and is the Tier X anchor design), it's almost certain to have four triples.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,877 posts
5,259 battles
3 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Discounting a possible little Russian indulgence in the world of supreme fantasy, this will be the last full line of battleships in the game (though there's the possibility of a US BB split). Anywho, I thought I'd just bat around a couple thoughts I had on the subject:

Dante Alighieri: She reminds me a bit of the Imperator Nikolai and makes me wonder if we'll either have a pre-dreadnought or a paper ship as the tier III like with the French.

Conte di Cavour: This class is a rather interesting one since they underwent a rather drastic rebuild (trading 13 12" guns for 10 12.6" guns and losing all of a large number of casemate guns) that would give her a rather different style of combat between her A and B hulls. Personally speaking I think it'd be fun to make her original form the tier V and then just give this form some minor buffs for the B hull.

Andrea Doria: Like with the Conte di Cavour, Andrea Doria and her sisters saw a radical rebuild and it'll be interesting to see how this is in the game. Just as a personal preference, I'd like to see the pre-rebuild as a premium and the post-rebuild in the tech tree, likely at tier VI. Admittedly they would be rather undergunned there so maybe a fusion of the two; secondaries and number of guns of the pre-, gun size, AA, and speed of the post-? Maybe you could make her guns rather crappy and turn her into some kind of support battleship. Actually this sounds like an interesting premium. Maybe play around with her DC and repair and give her limited Def AA and hydro. Yeah it's probably hoping for too much, but a BB meant to support a team (and be dependent on said team to do the real damage) rather than be the ship requiring support seems like it could be fun. At the very least it would give cruiser players  something to have fun with considering the Italian cruisers are kind of... lacking. Don't get me wrong they're pretty, but from what I've heard and seen, they're not really the first choice for combat.

Francesco Caracciolo: An Italian design that would've been an equal of the QE of course if this order holds true then she'll wind up at tier VII, so I predict that if this is correct, she'll receive some artificial buffs to keep her good.

Littorio: The non-premium Roma, I have difficulties with overpens as is (not to mention non-damaging penetrations but that's a separate issue), so I didn't grab said premium when she was around. Can't say I'd indulge in her if this line comes to fruition, but we'll see.

No clue what would go in the tier IX and X slots, but if nothing else we can count on them reasonably powerful since they will be battleships.

Personally, in terms of line characteristics, I think it'd be nice to see the first couple be in-your-face brawlers with powerful secondaries (and needing to be that close to use their somewhat small main guns) but the latter would be more long-range, with great accuracy, but poor armor. Admittedly the latter wouldn't exactly help the meta, but since when has anything successfully stopped the camping meta?

We definitely need more brawlers in the game.

Sign in to follow this