You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Just returned after a loong break, games still extremly frustrating.

21 comments in this topic

Members
229 posts
1,088 battles

I took a long break from this game a few months ago as it was becoming more frustrating than fun and I found myself leaving the game feeling rather annoyed than satisfied. I learnt not to care about winning but it hasn't helped much.

Anyway I started playing it again and after 4 games I stiff find this game really really annoying, mainly because of RNG and HE shells. A earlier game in the North Carolina, despite keeping my distance and working with others I spent the vast majority of the game on fire, invisible long range HE shells reigning down on me from behind islands. I'd retreat out of range, repair and attack again only to have the same result with almost ever hit starting a fire (steel is highly flammable in this game..).

This happened almost every game, see a enemy ship, they spam HE, fires start, put fire out, another fires starts 5 seconds later.. Occasionally spot a target, fire and laugh at the comical shell dispersion.

What is with the RNG of fire starting? It seems extremely excessive. My last game the 2 enemy BB's both started spamming it at me, 'floomp', up I go in flames again.. Ended up quititng out before i was even destroyed as I just felt soo frustrated at this games fire mechanics.

May as well sell my battleships as they seem to be zero fun these days.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
3 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

I took a long break from this game a few months ago as it was becoming more frustrating than fun and I found myself leaving the game feeling rather annoyed than satisfied. I learnt not to care about winning but it hasn't helped much.

Anyway I started playing it again and after 4 games I stiff find this game really really annoying, mainly because of RNG and HE shells. A earlier game in the North Carolina, despite keeping my distance and working with others I spent the vast majority of the game on fire, invisible long range HE shells reigning down on me from behind islands. I'd retreat out of range, repair and attack again only to have the same result with almost ever hit starting a fire (steel is highly flammable in this game..).

This happened almost every game, see a enemy ship, they spam HE, fires start, put fire out, another fires starts 5 seconds later.. Occasionally spot a target, fire and laugh at the comical shell dispersion.

What is with the RNG of fire starting? It seems extremely excessive. My last game the 2 enemy BB's both started spamming it at me, 'floomp', up I go in flames again.. Ended up quititng out before i was even destroyed as I just felt soo frustrated at this games fire mechanics.

The purpose of a Battleship is to get shot at for the team.  It seems like Battleships aren't for you.  If your enemies were shooting AP, they'd probably be doing far less damage to you (or no damage at all), which is exactly why they weren't doing that.

Edited by Sventex

Members
229 posts
1,088 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

The purpose of a Battleship is to get shot at for the team.  It seems like Battleships aren't for you.  If your enemies were shooting AP, they'd probably be doing far less damage to you (or no damage at all), which is exactly why they weren't doing that.

I've just found lately that everyone seems to fire HE at BB's, ok its effective but it means you spend half the game on fire, angling doesn't help and sitting back while your ships slowly burns to oblivion is getting monotonous and annoying.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
3 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

I've just found lately that everyone seems to fire HE at BB's, ok its effective but it means you spend half the game on fire, angling doesn't help and sitting back while your ships slowly burns to oblivion is getting monotonous and annoying.

If you don't like getting shot at constantly, pick a ship with better concealment, like a Destroyer.  Cruisers and Destroyers experience sudden death more often, and could be your preference given your aversion to the monotony of slowly losing health.

Edited by Sventex
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NAVY]
Members
1,009 posts
3,795 battles

You may or may not know this, and if you do, forgive me for stating the obvious; however, maybe it well will help other players who haven't played the battleship class all that much or that are new and come across this thread.

1. Don't hit that Damage Control Party consumable if you just have one fire burning. Wait until you have 2 or more fires burning before doing so. Sometimes, I'll wait till I have 3 before dabbing the "R" key, depending on the situation.

2. Why? Because 100 % of the fire damage a BB takes can be repaired using Repair Party consumable.

A lot of BB captains make the mistake of using their Damage Control Party as soon as they are set on fire with just one fire burning.  While the HE spam, which is very prevalent in WoWs at the moment, can be frustrating for BB players, mitigating it is part of learning to play this capital ship class.

A couple of other items you can run during matches to help mitigate this further is the India Yankee signal flag which gives a 20% bonus to the time it takes to extinguish fires. You can also run the Damage Control Modification 1 which will also reduce your chance to catch fire by 5% as well as the risk of flooding by 3%. Running the Basics of Survivability skill on your commander will also reduce your recovery time from by 15% as well as flooding, and the Fire Prevention skill further reduces your chance to catch fire by 10%.

Edited by daVinci761st
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Members
1,859 posts
17,674 battles
37 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

The thing about HE shells (other than the British BBs...those you want to avoid at all costs...but for all others) is they do little to no damage themselves...

The trick is to not put out the fires...let them burn...& when you burn down to where your Repair Party will heal the whole heal bar then hit the healing & let the fires burn out naturally (& you will discover that your pretty close to full health again w/the DC ready to use still if you get set on fire again right away...although you might wanna hold off & wait for the Repair Party to build up again depending on nearby enemy situation unless you have made it close to an island you can dive behind & break off most to all enemy contact (that's when you actually use the DC as it will have time to recharge when you're under cover).

After everything is burning...the sound of getting hit continuously is still annoying...but you are receiving almost no actual damage from it...& usually the people that started the fire realize they are scoring no damage on you & change targets. Wait until the next set of fires starts & by then you & your team should have cleared out a ship or 3 & when you get set on fire again assess the situation & if there's a lot of ships still around look for the nearest island to dive behind & break off contact with as many as you can  or if you're still wide open...let it burn & use the Repair Party again when it recharges.

• Cool 1

Members
1,859 posts
17,674 battles

Ah...DaVinci pretty much had the same thought.

Also was gonna mention that the Fire Prevention skill not only lessens the chance of fire 10% but cuts your # of fire sources down to 3 so you can only have 3 fires going at a time.

The 3 are the bow, stern & superstructure...regularly the superstructure is 2 fire sources & making it just 1 makes it where if you point your bow or stern (charging or fleeing respectively) at the person spamming you it makes it where they will only have easy access to setting 2 of those 3 sources on fire where as usually going bow or stern on it is still pretty easy to at least set 3 fires as superstructure is a large easy to hit target.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,600 posts
3,753 battles

Aside from everything else that the rest of the people covered regarding mitigating fire damage, keep the following in mind. Firestarting is pure RNG. Sure you can affect the chances a bit, but in the end it's a dice roll.  There will be battles where you will be set on fire on the first shell, and battles where you will take unbelievable amounts of HE damage without catching a fire. Just try to remember not just the times you were constantly set on fire, but also the ones where you were seemingly immune to it. Bottom line, I think the positives of the game make it worth one more shot.

Members
2,515 posts
5,500 battles

Someway the game now may be a little different than what it was when you played last. Try to pay attention to your distance to your enemy and also your range of detection. When you start to creep forward and find yourself forward of the rest of the team you get focused and burn down real quick.  I catch myself with that every now and then!  Have to pull back and reconsider your position relative to the enemy as well as are you isolated from your team?   Yeah nothing like find yourself the ONLY one when moments ago your buddies were just around...a moment ago ?? LOL!  But yeah..don't give up...step back and reanalyze it.  Good Luck!

Members
396 posts
6,353 battles

If you follow the advice here regarding concealment, flags, modules, captain perks this will go a long way to reducing the impact those HE spammers have on you.

Even more advanced is understanding the map, force deployment tendencies of your enemy ship types on maps, there are tried and tested camping spots for spammers that once you learn you can avoid and sometimes even counter by your approach vector and defeat / surprise.

The best part of this game is that it is not as simple as sailing the biggest ship with the biggest gun wherever you want decimating all who get in the way.

It is a game that rewards a deeper understanding, situational awareness, analyzing and adapting, in combination with communication, skill, experience.

[SALVO]
Members
17,155 posts
17,812 battles
2 hours ago, Sventex said:

No, it isn't.  This is complete nonsense.

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,859 battles
2 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

I will recommend two things for your captain skills. Concealment expert and fire resistance, I don't know the specific name of the skill, it is a 4 point skill that looks like a fire extinguisher. First concealment expert will allow you to get much closer to the enemy before being detected. It also allows you to go dark much quicker. The fire resistant skill cuts the fire chance by 10%, not much but it's the biggest strength is merging the two superstructure fire locations into one. So instead of two fires, you can only get one there. Run both damage control modules, and flags if you have them. Most importantly DON't PANIC when you have a single fire, let it burn. Your heal will recover almost all the fire damage, yes it is still annoying as hell but you can mitigate the fire mechanic some through your build. Also NEVER be out somewhere by yourself making yourself the only thing the enemy can shoot at. Stick with the cruisers and destroyers, get in close and push the cap points. If you are with a group of ships the chances of you getting shot at by multiple ships goes down a lot. DO NOT start shooting at people from 20k away or more. The North Carolina's dispersion is so bad any hits are just lucky, if you are going to do it, make sure there is an island between you and what you are shooting at so there is a chance you can fire without being detected. The North Carolina is at its best from 15k and closer. With concealment expert, you can get in close and when you are finally detected by an enemy cruiser you are so close that you can delete them with a good shot. I hope these tips will help you modify your gaming experience and make the game more enjoyable for you.

[YORHA]
Members
3,361 posts

977 battles and you are playing tier VIII ships.  I think I see the underlying problem.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,877 posts
5,259 battles
5 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Stop playing battleships like they are forts that can only sail backwards and forwards.   Get in closer, push and brawl.

Admittedly, NC is not the ship to do that with.  She's more of a stealth-flanker.  But sounds like you only know one way to play battleships. . . and its pretty much the wrong way.  Sure, you can farm damage, but as you point out, it's boring, frustrating, and not much fun.

Yesterday I had an Atlanta (king of all HE spammers) spamming at my Alabama from behind an island.  I pushed up aggressively, rounded the island. . . enjoyed his panicked backing up trying to stay out of line of sight.  I laughed as he tried to torp me and I dodged all but one, from which I took minimal damage (because Alabama).   Then I blasted him into oblivion at point blank range.  Very satisfying.  Went on to obliterate another couple Alabamas that were playing like you do, but were now hopelessly out of position because I flanked them with my aggression.  All in all a very satisfying game.

Honestly, the Atlanta would have been better off ramming me. . . but 9 times out of 10, people panic in the face of an aggressive battleship and do stupid things.  Use it, exploit it, and laugh at their ineffectual flailing before you send them back to port in disgrace.

Is it easy to play aggressively?  No.  Takes a lot of practice to learn how and where to push.   You'll die a lot learning how.  Can you sit back and farm damage and get higher damage totals. . . sometimes. . . but its REALLY boring.  Why are you playing this game anyway?  To have fun, or accumulate meaningless numbers that most of the time, don't contribute much to the team effort anyway?

Members
18,363 posts
5,241 battles
11 hours ago, Sventex said:

The purpose of a Battleship is to get shot at for the team.  

I disagree. It's ridiculous for that to be the purpose of a ship, when its effectiveness depends entirely on enemy players not prioritising other targets.

When I play cruisers, I only burn BBs when there's nothing better to shoot at, or someone marks one for focus fire.

The best way for a BB to fulfill its "purpose" of getting me to shoot at it, would be to sit about 16km out, in open water, driving more or less broadside without maneuvering, while the rest of his team hides behind islands. Even better if he's not firing at me, then I won't stop firing to go dark and evade.

Is that how a BB should play?

IMO, a BBs purpose is to bring the pain. The armor, HP, and heal are all tools to allow it to do so when opportune, and to allow it to be relevantly positioned while looking for an opportunity.

If the enemy shoots at you instead of weaker teammates, that's great. But many players will prioritise those weaker ships for various reasons, so often, you won't get them to shoot at you until the ships you were trying to take the heat off are dead anyway. And once they're dead, you being where you are likely doesn't do your team any favours.

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
14 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

IMO, a BBs purpose is to bring the pain. The armor, HP, and heal are all tools to allow it to do so when opportune, and to allow it to be relevantly positioned while looking for an opportunity.

If the enemy shoots at you instead of weaker teammates, that's great. But many players will prioritise those weaker ships for various reasons, so often, you won't get them to shoot at you until the ships you were trying to take the heat off are dead anyway. And once they're dead, you being where you are likely doesn't do your team any favours.

BBs can bring the pain, but they don't have that great of a dpm, much like destroyers.  It's that alpha that makes them powerful, which means they aren't there to bring the pain, Battleships are there to end the fight.  Yes, the armor, hp and heal will let you survive for more minutes to boost that damage, but ideally it's the cruisers that should be dealing the dpm, and the Battleships making themselves irresistible targets.  Yes many players will prioritise weaker targets, but often those weaker targets have the option of returning into concealment.  The point I was making is that getting shot at in Battleship is no great shame as the OP is thinking.  The large ship with poor concealment and the best gun range is not going to remain unmarked forever.  HP is a resource to be spent in a Battleship, not hoarded, or you'll never put that alpha to use.

Edited by Sventex

Members
348 posts
8,963 battles

If you took a break and still find it frustrating then this game is not for you. Uninstall or go insane.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,488 posts
9,585 battles

Have you tried operations or Coop?

[TAFY3]
Members
353 posts
7,391 battles

Fire prevention skill is very useful...  you should consider changing out ship types too.  I recently broke out of my BB rut and been having a blast with cruisers.  I can't believe how strong the American line of CAs are despite their reputation of being floating citadels.  

Members
18,363 posts
5,241 battles
4 minutes ago, Sventex said:

The point I was making is that getting shot at in Battleship is no great shame as the OP is thinking. 

Ah ok, I gotcha.

For me, the armor/HP/heals are like a raincoat. I still don't want to jump in a deep puddle, but I can do whatever I need to do in the rain without getting uncomfortably wet.