You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lord_of_Edgelords

Need help for bismarck

7 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
2,039 battles

Recently got the bismarck and was very excited for it. Went into a few matches and was utterly disappointed. It doenst brawl as well as gneisenau, despite me playing the same way it is as gneis, aka get in close when i have an opportunity and 1v1 or even 1v2 sometimes (like really close, aka <4km). The gunnery feels ok but the armor is not as good as it seems... even angled richie can rip off 10k dmg with AP and with stock hull the maneuverability is just plain terrible. Does Bismarck really requires a different playstyle than gneis or am i doing something wrong?

1,542 posts
26 battles

Bismarck is a great ship and really stands out from others at her Tier for me. She is a brilliant brawler with powerful artillery. Her secondary batter is the best of all Tier 8 battleships. She is quick to respond and can survive anything.

Upgrades:

Slot 1: Main Armaments Mod 1

Slot 2: Damage Control System Mod 1

Slot 3: Aiming Systems Mod 1

Slot 4: Damage Control System Mod 2

Slot 5: Concealment System Mod 1

[WORX]
Members
1,850 posts
12,888 battles

The Bis and her sister ship the Tirpitz are brawlers by far of any tier 8 ship. However, you do see tier 9 and even tier 10 BB ships. The Primary targets for these ships are mainly Cruisers and DDs. Never try to snipe at long range, I would say keep your targets close, maximum 10 km or less. You'll get great DMG with AP shells. I also recommend attacking more on your secondaries range to assist with your main guns.  Higher tier matches is not a walk in the park but these ships are fun. GL

[S_B]
Members
416 posts
10,738 battles
On 5/11/2018 at 10:57 AM, WolfofWarship said:

Bismarck is a great ship and really stands out from others at her Tier for me. She is a brilliant brawler with powerful artillery. Her secondary batter is the best of all Tier 8 battleships. She is quick to respond and can survive anything.

Upgrades:

Slot 1: Main Armaments Mod 1

Slot 2: Damage Control System Mod 1

Slot 3: Aiming Systems Mod 1

Slot 4: Damage Control System Mod 2

Slot 5: Concealment System Mod 1

Tried this build (since I already had secondary build on my Tirpitz) and it didn't work well for me especially with all the MM uptiering against Tier 9 & 10 ships. The Bismarck guns aren't accurate enough at medium to long range for this build in my humble opinion. The last straw was a full perfect salvo against a a broadside Hipper where no shells landed/hit from 12-13km I went back to a full secondary build which is so much better and funner even against Tier 9 & 10 ships.I just learn to live with the inaccurate guns. JMHO

[-OMC-]
Members
1 post
1,469 battles

I havent read the entire thread, however I am also not excited. You hear the stories of glorious secondaries and the damage and fires they cause. I think its a possibility I dont enjoy it enough because I only have a 11 pt captain and running the stock hull. I for right now tho liked the gneis wayyyyy more, the speed and maneuverability combined with torps and good armor , the only thing that made me dislike the gneis was the lack of main battery guns, I assumed the bismarck would fix that with its extra gun. I know both have the wonky german dispersion but I cant hit anything in the bismarck but then I go back to pushing flanks on the gneis and I am punishing cruisers all the time. Is it a combination of stock hull low point captain and the up tiering, or am I just bad at the bismarck?I think my secondaries have 9km rage (I took manual fire control over advanced firing training) 

Members
30 posts
1,918 battles

I feel like I'm finally starting to get the hang of her.  My first 8-10 matches were losses in this boat and I died pretty noobishly.  I've found that my best games come from hanging back a bit until other battleships have started drawing fire before I go a little more aggressive and start to advance on the enemy.  11.3km range on secondaries is nuts (Fires from my secondaries are what killed the Tirptiz in this match.)  Between straight damage and fires my secondaries are doing ~15-20k damage every match.  Dispersion on the main guns is what you've grown to expect from the Germans but you still shouldn't be afraid to take long range shots at stuff.  The guns hit hard when they land.

shot-18.05.26_18.58.47-0352.jpg

shot-18.05.26_19.00.10-0861.jpg

Members
1 post
10,033 battles

I've had the Bismarck for a while now and I agree that its secondaries while pretty good aren't something I'd, say, solely rely on to kill a nearby cruiser or dd while I focused on something else.  What I've found I CAN count on those secondaries for is (1) to scare off those dd's from feeling like they can just freely torp my flank (2) when I'm brawling at close range dueling with another BB, the fires they'll set make the difference between who lives and dies.  On that note, Bismarck's best damage from her main guns are from several Km out; they're less-effective at 1-2km brawling distance (I don't think it's because of the "plunging fire" effect because it seems a little close, but dudes on here with better grasp of the damage modeling of her guns please feel free to correct me.  I never try to drag Bismarck into a brawl first-hand.  IMHO, brawling is always a last resort, because even if you win, you regularly lose 50% or more of your HP so you can't play as aggressively for the rest of the battle.  Strangely I did a semi-sniper build with my Bis - chose the reduced dispersion mod for my mains rather than a total secondary build (so that may explain my experience with the secondaires).  But the trade-off is that I have a decent chance at citadeling (or at least getting 6-10K damage per salvo) against high-tier BB's at distance (10-14km) before I'm forced to close with them.