You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

16 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
1,102 battles

I had ships of all sizes disappear and reappear in clear ocean. This even happens when I am tracking them prior to firing a shot. And they can shoot at me while invisible. No fog, smoke, other ships or land obstructed my view. Cloaking ships of this area and even today is not possible. Possible software bug.

If this helps:

My system is a I7 7700 K,  16 GB of RAM, 1070 GPU running Windows 10 64 bit with all patches. 

Members
1,838 posts
17,662 battles
3 hours ago, Little_Shelby said:

I had ships of all sizes disappear and reappear in clear ocean. This even happens when I am tracking them prior to firing a shot. And they can shoot at me while invisible. No fog, smoke, other ships or land obstructed my view. Cloaking ships of this area and even today is not possible. Possible software bug.

If this helps:

My system is a I7 7700 K,  16 GB of RAM, 1070 GPU running Windows 10 64 bit with all patches. 

It just means you were out of their natural detection range...you were seeing them because they fired & their 20 seconds of detection hadn't run out yet...unfortunately even though you had them locked their 20 seconds ran out before your turrets rearmed. When this happens in frustration you usually try to lock on another target that is visible & by the time your turrets come around it's 20 seconds has run out & just then the original ship fires (usually at you) & you turn to aim at it again & just as your slow [edited]BB turrets finally get almost there it disappears again so you try to lock on the next available target...I think you get where this is going.

Some of them are right on the edge of their detection range (& they know exactly where that is because of the dashed ring on their mini map) & are firing at you while moving away & don't necessarily have a lock on you but are tracking you by your estimated course of movement (usually straight at them while they are heading perfectly angled away to allow them to fire all barrels at once).

Frustrating as hell when it happens I agree.

Members
5 posts
1,102 battles

I believe what I am referring to is different. They blink on and off. So you see shells flying through the air and no ship, wake or smoke. But I can see the shells taking off from the water. Other times they will disappear and reappear like a blinker on a car. Other times it is a fading effect which I think may be what you are describing.

Thank you for your reply.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,443 posts
2,405 battles

I've seen this too, and not just on the PTS.  Yes, I understand the growing and shrinking detection rage as the target fires, but this is not it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,409 posts
9,562 battles

I had an Atlanta disappear on me below 2KM...     THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE IN THIS GAME.   -- Even with an island between us.

I surprised it around an Island and I was point blank with a Scharnhorst. 

I fired at where it was and everything missed -- then it reappeared right after the shots hit..

I submitted a replay and got some stupid response about 6 point of detection.. watch a video on mechanics...  

Now the replay is a prior version so it's no good.

I attribute it to RNG malfunction..  Game working as intended.  It does that because I am SUPPOSED to lose this match.

[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
470 posts
11,942 battles

Check out  how the enemy ship disappears and how it reappears at close range.  60 second video.

[PLPTS]
Members
757 posts
13,253 battles

Yeah, I think there's a detection bug that is aggravated (not caused) by islands in the vicinity. I've seen this in the open but mostly NEAR, not behind, island edges. Happened today at 3.2 km with 2 Buffalo's, which is WELL WITHIN the detection range, firing or not, and it was. Flash: maybe there's a 20 seconds bug too, that briefly hides the shooter when the 20 seconds elapses, before it computes that the ship is visible (kinda like the Toyota Brake or Gas bug...).

[PLPTS]
Members
757 posts
13,253 battles
On 5/18/2018 at 1:25 PM, HooplaJones said:

Check out  how the enemy ship disappears and how it reappears at close range.  60 second video.

yeah, this is similar to many of my occurrences, one of the ships is NEAR an island, but the island shouldn't be blocking LOS.

[PLPTS]
Members
757 posts
13,253 battles
On 5/9/2018 at 6:50 AM, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

It just means you were out of their natural detection range...

NOPE, this happens at under 5k with CA's and BB's. They are NOT that stealthy.

[CVA16]
Members
2,292 posts
9,862 battles
On 5/18/2018 at 10:25 AM, HooplaJones said:

Also looks like the enemy ship had no trouble seeing you. He fires at you and his shells are well on the way before you can see him. If it was LOS, it should at least be mutual.

[PLPTS]
Members
757 posts
13,253 battles
4 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Also looks like the enemy ship had no trouble seeing you. He fires at you and his shells are well on the way before you can see him. If it was LOS, it should at least be mutual.

If its a spotting defect, it might not be mutual, since the conditions at the two ends are different. Most of the time, that I beleive this has happened to me, it has seemed one sided (they see me, I dont see them)

[CVA16]
Members
2,292 posts
9,862 battles
15 hours ago, Jenska said:

f its a spotting defect, it might not be mutual, since the conditions at the two ends are different. Most of the time, that I beleive this has happened to me, it has seemed one sided (they see me, I dont see them)

That was what I was getting at. If it was as some suggested, an LOS issue, it should affect both equally. Of course we don't notice it when the shoe is on the other foot and that noob in our sights is inexplicably slow to return fire.  Pretty good evidence that there is some sort of glitch. There has always been a delay between the DETECTED indicator going off and the ship displaying, but I always assumed it was mutual. Hope WG can address it.

[PLPTS]
Members
757 posts
13,253 battles

Even LOS might not be the same if one is close to the island (some object), but the other is not (or a different object). The LOS considerations will be asymmetrical and depending on the nature of the bug and which viewpoint is being evaluated, the detection results may be different. As a software developer investigating problems, especially from the outside, I try not to ask "what is this doing (wrong)?", but rather, "what can cause this behavior?" You get more possibilities with that approach.

For instance, I don't know what he saw, but an AOBA at 3k disappeared while firing in open water but traveling between two islands. Sooo, what was going on there? My guess is that theres a calculation bug near islands, or else a rendering lag that doesn't represent the "computed" reality on the visual display.

Edited by Jenska
adding comments

[WOLF3]
Members
6,443 posts
2,405 battles
On 5/18/2018 at 12:25 PM, HooplaJones said:

That's not a bug.  You lose line of sight on a ship and it goes out of detection (unless detected by another ship or plane).

It did seem to take a while to re-acquire, and that may be the notorious rendering bug.  But I see nothing that looks like a detection bug.

[PLPTS]
Members
757 posts
13,253 battles

I've had this happen in open water and ranges where LOS shouldn't be an issue. The rendering lag bug MAY be part of the problem, but if it is, there's also a detection bug behind it to make it disappear in the first place. The rendering lag bug is made much more apparent with the torpedo aiming indicator, which becomes active several seconds before you see the ship again; in that case I know the other ship was not visible at the time, but is going to be immediately.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,731 posts
7,572 battles
On 5/9/2018 at 12:07 AM, Little_Shelby said:

If this helps:

On the last patch there were some reported bugs.. I did see an enemy ship a B.B. or rather the red ship icon ,smoke from its stack, an Ocean wake we’re the ship was ... but the ship itself was completely invisible I first saw it at about 12 k open Ocean and took about 15 seconds to go behind an Island and I lost sight of it ... it was the oddest thing .. never saw it again .. I was so transfixed I forgot to shoot till the last second and got 1 hit ... couldn’t figure out we’re to aim .. also forgot a screenshot