You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tolvor

Torpedo bomber spread

27 comments in this topic

[5D5]
Members
14 posts
8,599 battles

How do I adjust the spread on torpedo bombers, I attack a CV and the spread is wide I want a tight group or torpedos. How do I prevent this, or adjust from one to the other?

Edited by Tolvor

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Different cvs have different spreads. Also in tier 4 and 5 carriers you are restricted to auto drop which is characteristically wider than you’d probably like. Manual drop for both bombs and torps is much tighter but will still differ slightly from carrier to carrier like premiums with gimmicks etc. 

If you’re in later tiers they call it “alt drop” since that not only engages manual drops for torps and bombers but also strafing for fighters. Hold alt down as you’re aiming your drop. Check it out. 

Edited by Gascan75

[5D5]
Members
14 posts
8,599 battles

T9 CV

always goes wide spread

even with manual drop

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
1 minute ago, Tolvor said:

T9 CV

always goes wide spread

even with manual drop

I’m obviously not a tier 9 cv driver but why is that? Because there are 10 torp planes per squadron I imagine... exaggerating a bit but wider spread still comes with some pretty serious torp density. 

[5D5]
Members
14 posts
8,599 battles

There are not 10 planes in a wing on any CV, 6-7 max on US carriers and 5 on IJN

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
8 minutes ago, Tolvor said:

There are not 10 planes in a wing on any CV, 6-7 max on US carriers and 5 on IJN

Look up the word exaggerate. Why are you in here asking how to do this if you know it all already?

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,479 posts
4,069 battles

You'll get the thinnest spread with manual attacks. Carriers starting from tier eight and up have the Defensive AA Fire consumable. You can try tricking the carrier into activating the consumable by pretending to attack. As soon as they activate the consumable, send your bombers back to attack other ships. The defensive fire will go into cooldown after two minutes, giving you an opportunity to attack the enemy CV with accurate manual attacks.

[5D5]
Members
14 posts
8,599 battles

Ok, maybe I am not clear....

The spread on torpedo usually when attacking a DD, CA or BB is a Regtangular box

when on a CV it Widens out like aV with a wide bottom....

\             /      i       I

\       /         I       I

____          _____

Wide            Columned

If you play a CV you understand this. I do not want the wide I want Columned....and Since it does columned on DD, CA and BB it should be able to do so on CVs, but with widens for no reason when getting close to CV.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I digress. 

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
1 hour ago, Tolvor said:

A US CV TB squad has 6 planes a IJN has 4 planes per squad the +1 captain skill is for fighters and DB not TB

[MHG]
Members
56 posts
13,186 battles

Tolvor, how could anyone play that many games as a CV captain and not know how the Defensive AA consumable works?  The enemy carriers are pressing that button to disrupt your attack.  That's one of the things it does, it scatters the torpedo drop.

Edited by CuriousShadow
fixed

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,101 posts
12,663 battles
1 hour ago, Tolvor said:

widens for no reason when getting close to CV

Carriers at T8+ carry defensive fire. Defensive fire panics the bombers and makes them drop wide spreads no matter what.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,725 posts
8,254 battles

Defensive Fire. I'm suprised you managed to get this far without even knowing this 

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles
3 hours ago, Panbun said:

You'll get the thinnest spread with manual attacks. Carriers starting from tier eight and up have the Defensive AA Fire consumable. You can try tricking the carrier into activating the consumable by pretending to attack. As soon as they activate the consumable, send your bombers back to attack other ships. The defensive fire will go into cooldown after two minutes, giving you an opportunity to attack the enemy CV with accurate manual attacks.

Nukes are just a bad idea. Assuming you're not just hovering, DF will be back by the time your planes make it back to the CV. Also, those who have it switched over to DAAFM1, so DF lasts for 3 minutes on CV, not 2. 3+ minutes of doing nothing is a bad idea. If you want to hurt a CV, outkill his team.

Edited by awildseaking

[5D5]
Members
14 posts
8,599 battles

Considering a CV has one defensive fire unless you buy a second one before battle. It spreads on the second time attack on CV well after it has gone on cool down. Since I am so inept please explain that one.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
5 minutes ago, Tolvor said:

Considering a CV has one defensive fire unless you buy a second one before battle. It spreads on the second time attack on CV well after it has gone on cool down. Since I am so inept please explain that one.

What CV were you playing im guessing US and how many planes in the squad did you have at the moment of drop, you might have a full squad going in but if you start losing planes the spread will become wider and high tier CV get good AA, so if they manual aim on your TB and have BFT or AFT even if they take out 2 before drop the spread will be wider.

[SF-3]
Members
1,531 posts
8,120 battles
13 minutes ago, Tolvor said:

add all you had to do to get that 2nd dfaa was equip premium consumables, easily explains the 2nd dfaa. There is no hidden mechanic here, no conspiracy against your drops, no setting you can change. Plain and simple, the CV used DFAA, someone else in the are used DFAA, they had their fighters attacking your strike planes, you were intercepted by a float plane. All of these reasons should be perfectly clear by the time you reach T9.

[TF03]
Members
739 posts
2,699 battles
28 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

OMG.  This thread is reason #1 why CV's are so utterly broken. 

How do's this thread show how CV are broken?, it's a question about manual drops and why the spread changes.

[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts
4 minutes ago, ausanimal said:

How do's this thread show how CV are broken?, it's a question about manual drops and why the spread changes.

I suspect he is talking about how something so powerful and influential in a battle (Potentially) can be driven by someone... who should not be driving them.

[SUCIT]
Members
825 posts
3,621 battles
On 5/9/2018 at 1:23 AM, Tolvor said:

Ok, maybe I am not clear....

The spread on torpedo usually when attacking a DD, CA or BB is a Regtangular box

when on a CV it Widens out like aV with a wide bottom....

\             /      i       I

\       /         I       I

____          _____

Wide            Columned

If you play a CV you understand this. I do not want the wide I want Columned....and Since it does columned on DD, CA and BB it should be able to do so on CVs, but with widens for no reason when getting close to CV.

You know defensive fire "panics" planes and causes less accurate drops, hence the wide drop.  Either wait for DF to run out or drop through it.  

There is no difference in drops from ship to ship.

[TBOW]
Members
1,252 posts
10,689 battles

It depends on the amount of AA you are going up against, and also Fem as a vid on Manual Torp Drops, where it seems to be a matter of holding the drop till the last minute, to get through the defensive fire.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,842 posts
13,059 battles
1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

I suspect he is talking about how something so powerful and influential in a battle (Potentially) can be driven by someone... who should not be driving them.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Anecdotally, came across this in ranked.  We had a CV guy who was top of game.  Red CV guy wasn't "bad" per se...wasn't a potato as they say, but he wasn't a top CV player and he got totally owned by our CV guy.  12 on 12 is one thing.  Ranks is 7 on 7. And when one of those 7 is a CV, captained by a superior player than the other CV captain...then yeah...that's broken.  Broken because the relative CV captain's capabilities decide the match not the other six players on each team.  A disparity in BB, CA, or DD skill can often be overcome by superior play by the other six players.  A disparity in CV player skill often cannot be overcome by the other six players.  No matter the skill of the BB, CA, or DD player, the game is lost or won based on CV skill; that is what' broken.

It's true in random, except 12 on 12 is able to handle some of the lesser skill gaps in CV players.  But the broken concept is still applicable random, if not quite as poignant as in ranked.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Good AA ships grouped up together properly can stop nearly any CV attack.

Example

• CV: Ryujo
  • Enemy East Side: NC, NC, Atlanta
  • Enemy West Side: NC, AL, Atlanta
  • :fish_glass:

My proof if people don't think I can CV

Edited by Vangm94