You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SteeLeviathan

My Silly new ship line: Submarine tenders

7 comments in this topic

[PWH]
Members
84 posts
4,863 battles

So I have seen several of warships recent postings about the world war 2 submarines, and was thinking, "If wargames did want to use submarines, how would they do it?" Submarines were very slow and could easily be destroyed by any other ships of the game if they were spotted, not to mention that their only weapons were their torpedoes and in WoWs, torps can't always do so much. Most likely, the person controlling the submarine would manage to get one torpedo salvo off before what ever it was taking on would sink it with secondaries or its main guns, as subs were extremely slow ships that even a battleship could outrun. Then I remembered that Wargames April fools joke about a dolphin carrier, and thought, wouldn't that be interesting if instead of dolphins, you had submarines, and that is where this silly idea started.

So to start off,  this is how I would see this line work. For me, I would borrow from the carrier line, where every person that plays the submarine line would have a tender ship that would send the submarines out to attack the ships. Starting from rank 3, branching off of the destroyer line, Each tender would be able to send out two squads of submarines similar to how the aircraft carrier sends out his planes, by assigning a squad of subs to a number key and would follow an automated path set in the map screen, but tender players would have to be more careful then with an aircraft carrier, as subs are not really well known for being able to go over islands. The AI of them would have to be improved so that they wouldn't pull "Notsers" into islands when they were moving. As to the fact that the player would be able to control two or more squads of submarines takes to the fact that when a submarine is on the surface, they are easy targets for surface ships to take out. I would say that most likely, the the highest subs would have about half the health of what is usually on a destroyer, making it so that even Non-gun destroyers would have easy time taking out a submarines that would be on the surface. That would be why the there would be two or more squads of submarines so that if one squad of submarine was lost in the opening minutes of a game, the player would still be viable with a second squad. Also it would be possible for the tender to have a third or fourth submarine squad that could replace a lost squad of submarines. Though this is very much like how the aircraft carrier is played, it would be very different, as ships would be able to use there main guns to destroy the squads. Submarines were well known for their ability to submerge into the water and go undetected by surface ships. This would be achieved in game for the submarines by pressing the number assigned to the squad to cause the submarine to submerge into the water. This would be a positive and negative at the same time for the submarine. It would be a positive, as the submarine would be able to not be detected by a surface ship, or plane, similar to smoke, and wouldn't be able to take fire from main caliber guns but going submerged would cause the submarine to move half its surface speed and wouldn't be able to detect surface ships as far as it would if it was on the surface. Also being submerged wouldn't be able to stop a cruiser from hydro'ing or radaring the sub, and torpedoes would still be able to hit them, especially deepwater torps, so destroyers would be the main adversary for submarines, as well as some cruisers. The submarines would have to surface at some time, to make it so they couldn't just stealth there way to behind enemy lines, but perhaps that could be used as incentive to battleships that even sitting in back wouldn't be so safe to do.  But it would be offset by the fact that, the subs would only be able to carry one load of torpedoes on them so after they launched their torps, they would have to return to the submarines tender to restock their torpedoes before they head back out. If they were to go stealthy from firing their torps to getting back to the tender, it could cost them, so they would have to surface to get back to the ship to restock. Also getting hit by anything would render them unable to submerge again.

Now comes to the idea of a submarine tender. Submarine tenders would be very weak ships with almost no main guns for firing. They would have to play like an aircraft carrier and sit in the back and run from any enemies that saw it. Also add to the fact that once taken out, the submarines would most likely be taken out as well would render it not the best ship. But then comes the silly idea for them. Not only would they serve as the main ship for the submarine line, they would also act as repair ships. Currently WoWs has AI controlled ships that have the ability to repair damage to ships in certain battles. If players could control the ships, they could use the heal to repair allies that would be damaged by the enemies, as well as any of their submarines that manage to take damage and get back to the ship. They wouldn't be able to fight so much but they would still serve a purpose in a fight as support for allies, and themselves. 

Now that I am finished with my idea, I already know that it is a stupid idea, and by far is much more unlikely to be put in place then regular submarines being placed into the game, but it was an interesting concept to cross my mind, and I felt like sharing it. Like it or dislike it, I just felt like posting. Have a great day.

• Cool 2

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,550 posts

Well it's not as stupid as some of the ideas out there... like submarines.   xD

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
3 hours ago, SteeLeviathan said:

I already know that it is a stupid idea

and that says it all!

[SOUP]
7,550 posts
3 minutes ago, Umikami said:

and that says it all!

Yeah, but to be fair to the guy, he actually did put a measure of thought into it. More than just the "Subs iz gud caus was in war so subs need be n' gaem!" like we normally get.

For that reason alone, I award him a soup

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
6 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

I award him a soup

By the way, the recipe was nice! Thank You!

[PWH]
Members
84 posts
4,863 battles
19 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Yeah, but to be fair to the guy, he actually did put a measure of thought into it. More than just the "Subs iz gud caus was in war so subs need be n' gaem!" like we normally get.

For that reason alone, I award him a soup

What kind of soup? 

[SOUP]
7,550 posts
1 hour ago, SteeLeviathan said:

What kind of soup? 

Only the finest broths on the planet~<3

• Funny 1