Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

FDR, Churchill first meeting....1941. Trivia!

9 comments in this topic

Members
4,566 posts
6,505 battles

For fun.  Don't look it up!  

Where?  What ships were they on? What song was sung by the Brits and Yanks....clue...religious song.  What was agreed at that first meeting between them? 

Edited by dmckay

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles

I'm going to say, off Nova Scotia.  Can't remember the ship, but USN CA, I think.  Churchill came over from his BB.

Song?  A Mighty Fortress Is Our God?

Edited by iDuckman

Members
4,566 posts
6,505 battles
19 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I'm going to say, off Nova Scotia.  Can't remember the ship, but USN CA, I think.  Churchill came over from his BB.

Song?  A Mighty Fortress Is Our God?

Semi close..sorta...But NO cigar. Nice try.  Very famous meeting. Clue....Churchill came in a BB that still showed battle scars. From that meeting he and FDR bonded. Churchill liked FDR....and he did not really like a bunch of people. 

Edited by dmckay

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,217 battles

Churchill came aboard Prince of Wales I think.

I forget what FDR was riding, but I think it was like a New Orleans class.

I just listened to the entire audiobook version of The Last Lion about 2 months ago, but I don't recall the details.

Members
4,566 posts
6,505 battles
5 minutes ago, Captain_Dorja said:

Churchill came aboard Prince of Wales I think.

I forget what FDR was riding, but I think it was like a New Orleans class.

I just listened to the entire audiobook version of The Last Lion about 2 months ago, but I don't recall the details.

DING!  Correct.Churchill came to Newfoundland on HMS PoW.  FDR on USS Augusta. Agreed on war aims.  Atlantic charter. Combined crews sang Onward Christian Soldiers on deck of POW....I think PoW. . Highly secret meeting. PoW still bore scars from battle with Bismarck. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,473 posts
2,422 battles

Yes, PoW.  Nova Scotia is very close to Newfoundland. 

• Cool 1

Members
4,566 posts
6,505 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Yes, PoW.  Nova Scotia is very close to Newfoundland. 

Yup.  I brought this up in part because they immediately bonded. Churchill NEW after that meeting that Hitler and Japan were toast. Much of what they discussed is still kinda secret.  Sorta. There is old film of this meeting. You Tube.

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
1,703 posts
15,580 battles

USS Augusta for FDR, HMS Prince of Wales for Winston. While I can sing the hymn (most sailors know it by heart), for the life of me I cannot remember the title. I do know they closed out the service with ''Onward Christian Soldiers''

Members
4,566 posts
6,505 battles
On 09/05/2018 at 3:28 AM, Captain_Dorja said:

Right Onward Christian Soldiers! Also, I'm retarded because I couldn't remember what the Atlantic Charter was called and didn't want to say something stupid like the Northwest Pact XD

Hell NP.  I am [edited] also!  Again, what was very good about that meeting is not only did they agree on war aims (Atlantic Charter) but Churchill and FDR struck up a very close personal relationship that lasted till FDR died.  Also they both liked to drink!  Churchill more so..heh.  FDR loved his late afternoon martinis. They truly liked/respected each other and Churchill was not always easy to get along with...but they clicked. When FDR died Churchill stated, "I felt as if I had been stuck a physical blow.  His was an enviable death.  He died in harness."

Carry on. :Smile_honoring:

Sign in to follow this