You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ChickenOTheSea

Flag for Vet Family Members?

83 comments in this topic

[_OOPS]
Members
11 posts
950 battles

Howdy!

I grew up in a USA Navy family (and proud to have done so).  I know family members of vets deserve a lot of recognition.  While we weren't shot at, we supported, on a daily basis, the vets who had been.

Would it be possible to make a new flag, not for veterans, but for close family members of vets?

Thanks,

Jess

Edited by ChickenOTheSea
Corrected title for appropriateness.
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles

Uhm.  I think that's a bit silly.  I want something unique because someone else did something.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
706 posts

how about flags for construction workers, farmers, fishermen (commercial) and foresters, who all do work significantly more important work for a nation and are more dangerous jobs than military service as a whole.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 7
  • Angry 2

[PVE]
Members
5,601 posts
18,201 battles

As much as I would like to see family members honored, how about some actual service flags like the USN flag, USMC flag, USAF flag, etc. Military flags of other nations would be nice as well, it allows active duty, veterans, and their families to show some pride in people who actually served. I find it really hard to believe that naval flags, especially the USN flag are not in the game.. It's a good thing I have all those cartoon flags though.. Whoever is in charge of this at Wargaming really needs to understand their player base.. 

• Cool 4

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
495 posts
3,656 battles
2 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

I have the last flag that WOWS gave out for military families.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/fisher-story/

“Gave out?”  That implies it was free...

Did I miss the free flag for actual vets?  Don’t get me wrong, not asking for one.  I am sick of vets and military families asking for hand outs and preferential treatment in silly things like shopping at Lowe’s.  Military towns like Colorado Springs are the worst.  So many retirees and dependents assuming they should get a discount everywhere they go and raise heck if a store says no.  I don’t see how WG can implement vet or family member flags. How does WG verify someone is a military family member or a vet?  Gonna email the Belorussians your DD214 or dependent ID?

• Bad 2

Beta Testers
2,317 posts
4,193 battles
9 minutes ago, missile742 said:

Did I miss the free flag for actual vets?  Don’t get me wrong, not asking for one.  I am sick of vets and military families asking for hand outs and preferential treatment in silly things like shopping at Lowe’s.  Military towns like Colorado Springs are the worst.  So many retirees and dependents assuming they should get a discount everywhere they go and raise heck if a store says no.  I don’t see how WG can implement vet or family member flags. How does WG verify someone is a military family member or a vet?  Gonna email the Belorussians your DD214 or dependent ID?

No. Flags have never been given out to veterans in this game. There was a military month flag but anyone and everyone could get it.

You can calm down now.

[PVE]
Members
5,601 posts
18,201 battles
15 minutes ago, missile742 said:

I think those flags were purchasable not given away so no you didn't miss your handout. 

I have never seen a vet raise a stink about not getting any freebies at any place of business nor have I ever seen that kind of behavior in 20 years of working at my business. Maybe it is just something Colorado related. Got lots of pot smokers there I hear. 

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
559 posts
2 hours ago, b101uk said:

how about flags for construction workers, farmers, fishermen (commercial) and foresters, who all do work significantly more important work for a nation and are more dangerous jobs than military service as a whole.

Damn straight! I'm a construction worker, wheres my flag?

[_OOPS]
Members
11 posts
950 battles
On 5/8/2018 at 5:21 PM, b101uk said:

While I agree there are many other people working in dangerous jobs, I have to disagree about the degree the families are typically effected.  Dangerous civilian jobs, at least in recent times, are designed and regulated to mitigate risk.  Military combat service is not.

Military families deal with the aftermath of the service of their family member.  Veteran's PTSD, mental health issues are all lingering effects the families of veterans have to learn to deal with and help the veteran with.  In addition, the families have to cope with long absences of the veterans whether they are in combat or not.

• Cool 2

Members
48 posts
524 battles

Seems a very special and intense type of jerk frequents these forums  =.= Also seems said jerks forget that the construction workers, farmers, fishmen, and foresters wouldn't be able to do their jobs at all were we invaded. They enjoy the freedom and protection of the military and then cheapen it by deeming it less dangerous than civilian jobs. I wonder how many among you have actually performed military service. Not many, I'd wager.

Especially since you all are here playing a game literally built upon military history.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[XBRTC]
Members
1,414 posts
7,427 battles
55 minutes ago, FATEdPondera said:

I wonder how many among you have actually performed military service. Not many, I'd wager.

Especially since you all are here playing a game literally built upon military history.

You'd lose that bet.

On 5/8/2018 at 4:02 PM, ChickenOTheSea said:

I grew up in a USA Navy family (and proud to have done so).  I know family members of vets deserve a lot of recognition.  While we weren't shot at, we supported, on a daily basis, the vets who had been.

Would it be possible to make a new flag, not for veterans, but for close family members of vets?

What rank are you?

And why do you think that this flag needs to happen for the service-adjacent, when there isn't even a flag in-game for people who actually served?

• Cool 1

[_OOPS]
Members
11 posts
950 battles

On 5/11/2018 at 8:37 PM, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

What rank are you?

And why do you think that this flag needs to happen for the service-adjacent, when there isn't even a flag in-game for people who actually served?

I never served, so I don't have a rank.  In Ranked battles I just got rank 15!

I've met some folks in my clan (SSN) who are former USA Navy.  I thought they said they have a special flag they say is for having served.  If I'm wrong, I apologize.  I'll double check.

[XBRTC]
Members
1,414 posts
7,427 battles
13 minutes ago, ChickenOTheSea said:

I never served, so I don't have a rank.  In Ranked battles I just got rank 15!

I've met some folks in my clan (SSN) who are former USA Navy.  I thought they said they have a special flag they say is for having served.  If I'm wrong, I apologize.  I'll double check.

They're probably talking about the MMC flag. Military month contributor. It was part of an event some years back that WG held to raise money for a veteran's organization. It has nothing to do with anyone's status as a vet or not.

And it's US Navy, not USA Navy. USN.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
On 5/8/2018 at 10:31 PM, Taylor3006 said:

I think those flags were purchasable not given away so no you didn't miss your handout. 

I have never seen a vet raise a stink about not getting any freebies at any place of business nor have I ever seen that kind of behavior in 20 years of working at my business. Maybe it is just something Colorado related. Got lots of pot smokers there I hear. 

I absolutely have. Especially for discounts.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles

I've never seen it either, and I never ask for a discount as a veteran.  I did when I was active duty and had no money, of course I tried to pinch every penny I could.  As a veteran?  No.  I don't even go to places that advertise the discount or free meal or whatever and ask for it.

[_OOPS]
Members
11 posts
950 battles
On 5/15/2018 at 2:06 PM, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

They're probably talking about the MMC flag. Military month contributor. It was part of an event some years back that WG held to raise money for a veteran's organization. It has nothing to do with anyone's status as a vet or not.

And it's US Navy, not USA Navy. USN.

Ah!  thanks for setting me straight!  I thought it was a flag for having served.

Oh, and I mentioned USA Navy, since it's an international game.

• Cool 1

[JTF67]
Members
59 posts
3,099 battles

I'm a vet, 8 years US Army. I've never asked for a veteran's discount (never turned one down either :Smile_Default:). My contract was fulfilled and no one owes me anything that wasn't in the contract. However, when they, they being the government that I contracted with, try to cut back on what WAS promised...then I get mad. No game company, theater, store or retail establishment owes me crap. Its nice if its offered but totally not necessary.

• Cool 6

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
558 posts
3,623 battles
4 hours ago, JAPridemore said:

I'm a vet, 8 years US Army. I've never asked for a veteran's discount (never turned one down either :Smile_Default:). My contract was fulfilled and no one owes me anything that wasn't in the contract. However, when they, they being the government that I contracted with, try to cut back on what WAS promised...then I get mad. No game company, theater, store or retail establishment owes me crap. Its nice if its offered but totally not necessary.

I agree 100% with you.  I was raised in a military family (dad retired Army) and I served in the USMC for 4 years myself.  I would never ask for a "veterans discount".  I don't need a special flag either.  Uncle Sugar gave me everything he promised and that is good enough for me.

Regards,

CS.

• Cool 2

[JTF67]
Members
59 posts
3,099 battles
13 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I agree 100% with you.  I was raised in a military family (dad retired Army) and I served in the USMC for 4 years myself.  I would never ask for a "veterans discount".  I don't need a special flag either.  Uncle Sugar gave me everything he promised and that is good enough for me.

Regards,

CS.

That being said. The oath I took had no time limit.

[SIDE]
Members
1,409 posts
On 5/8/2018 at 7:21 PM, b101uk said:

And this, class, is what an article 15 reject sounds like.

[SIDE]
Members
1,409 posts
4 hours ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Do US police get free doughnuts ?

They might. Thin blue line, the red line,  battle dress, might have perks for wearing those uniforms. So what? You gonna join up?

[SIDE]
Members
1,409 posts
On 5/11/2018 at 9:39 PM, FATEdPondera said:

Seems a very special and intense type of jerk frequents these forums  =.= Also seems said jerks forget that the construction workers, farmers, fishmen, and foresters wouldn't be able to do their jobs at all were we invaded. They enjoy the freedom and protection of the military and then cheapen it by deeming it less dangerous than civilian jobs. I wonder how many among you have actually performed military service. Not many, I'd wager.

I’d say a significant fraction of the player base has or had direct military involvement and a smaller number are family of military. Probably a fair number “know a guy” . The rest are students, enthusiasts, match key, retired old folk, etc. 

not many? Hmmmm, I’m with Rusty on that bet.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

Main thing with something like this... a lot of professions, a lot of peoples, should get recognition. Based on current events, we should care but we don't as much because it is not around us. Yet, if those events happen somewhere else and closer to where we are, we will care because it is around us. Who should get recognition when the same even happens but at different places and with different people? I figured I would report this Topic because it can and most likely will take a dark turn. That is all I am willing to say here.