You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptainTeddybear

Franz von Jütland

37 comments in this topic

Members
1,881 posts
9,093 battles

Thoroughly mediocre?

Improved Vigilance: The torpedo acquistion range bonus of Vigilance increases from +25% to +35%

Handyman: The consumable reload time reduction of Jack of All Trades increases from -5% to -10%

Edited by CaptainTeddybear

[HYDRO]
Members
1,600 posts
3,753 battles

It's a free 10 point captain that you gain by playing the game. Aside from the "shoot down 50 planes" part, the rest is no problem to get. Besides, I think this captain will be useful in BBs.

Members
3,564 posts
6,905 battles

Oh I would expect enhanced Adrenalin Rush as der Franz hat die Schnapps grabben und getrunken.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,826 posts
10,383 battles

Silly name (should be Franz von Skaggerak).

Silly abilities.

Silly WG.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,481 posts
3,430 battles

Where did you guys find the detail on the required missions for Herr Jutland? I can't find it anywhere. Is the "Shoot down 50 planes" mission a 2nd part or 3rd part?

Edited by Blorgh2017

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,365 battles
39 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Oh I would expect enhanced Adrenalin Rush as der Franz hat die Schnapps grabben und getrunken.

Maybe I saw this in the May missions news article?

We just did the Russian; is a German captain available for acquisition now?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles
6 minutes ago, mofton said:

Silly name (should be Franz von Skaggerak).

Silly abilities.

Silly WG.

Do the victors go the spoils.  The British won, so their battle gets to name the commander.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,876 posts
5,259 battles
7 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Do the victors go the spoils.  The British won, so their battle gets to name the commander.

Well that’s the conventional wisdom...

.... but the reality is that Germany won a tactical victory.   It was just a Pyrrhic victory and far short of what they would have needed to alter the strategic situation in any case.

They were in an untenable situation  and acquitted themselves quite well regardless.  

The only reason England didn’t get completely crushed was their overwhelming advantage in weight of metal at the battle.

Members
1,881 posts
9,093 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Improved Vigilance: The torpedo acquistion range bonus of Vigilance increases from +25% to +35%

Handyman: The consumable reload time reduction of Jack of All Trades increases from -5% to -10%

If these were buffed to 40% and 15% I would still consider him by far the worst commander. At these values he isn't worth wasting Captain XP to level.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

Tactical victory is irrelevant if you cannot exploit it.  The only thing that matters is afterwords, the North Sea went uncontested.

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
422 posts
13,079 battles
17 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Where did you guys find the detail on the required missions for Herr Jutland? I can't find it anywhere. Is the "Shoot down 50 planes" mission a 2nd part or 3rd part?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/may-be-its-may-belline/

Its in the May 18th tab

Edited by HamptonRoads
  • Cool 1

Members
1,881 posts
9,093 battles

The Nation with the least use for Vigilance get the Commander with a Vigilance buff? The only ships I use Jack of all Trades on are British Cruisers. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,195 posts
18,937 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

It's a free 10 point captain that you gain by playing the game. Aside from the "shoot down 50 planes" part, the rest is no problem to get. Besides, I think this captain will be useful in BBs.

Since you can do it in co op: play a CV. Think I can do this in one match with my Enterprise or Hak.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,826 posts
10,383 battles
24 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

True, but if ze Germans believed they'd lost they wouldn't name someone after it at all.

I've never seen a French or Spanish 'Nile' or 'Trafalgar' or 'Saintes' or 'Glorie 1 Juin' after all.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
33 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I suppose the result is debatable on various levels.  Germans could certainly claim a tactical victory in terms of casualty tallies and ship loss ratio.  But both operationally and strategically the status quo was not changed by the outcome of Jutland\Skagerrak.  

I'm kind of fond of the American journalist that remarked, “the German fleet has assaulted its jailor, but is still in jail”.

Edited by Dr_Dirt
  • Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
3,373 posts
4,008 battles
34 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Tactical victory is irrelevant if you cannot exploit it.  The only thing that matters is afterwords, the North Sea went uncontested.

It was a battle the Germans never meant to fight, and were looking to escape the moment that they realized its scale. What propagandists (on both sides) made of it in the hereafter still - to an extent - clouds our perception of the engagement. 

In reality, Jutland is a far, FAR less interesting what-if than the Scarborough Raid, which came within a hair's breadth of giving the High Seas Fleet the parity it so desperately desired. A different outcome then might have altered the course of the war. Given the superior quality of German capital ships across the board in WWI, I have a strong suspicion that, in a fair fight, the Germans would have defeated and sunk the majority of the Grand Fleet.

Edited by Battlecruiser_NewZealand

Supertester
1,464 posts
16 battles

You can sink as many old armoured cruisers and first generation BCs as you want (QM being the exception), it doesn't make a difference when the Grand Fleet put itself in the better position. 

The HSF partially completed one of their goals, and while they did sink more, the total sunk was not nearly enough to alter anything for the balance of power. In return, they lost 3 modern fairly useful light cruisers, and a modern battlecruiser. 

You can't exactly call it a Pyrrhic victory if you gain nothing overall and don't alter the balance of power. In the same way 19 August 1916 is seen as inconclusive, despite the RN losing two useful light cruisers. 

Jutland is just as silly a name as Schiffman. There is definitely better out there, given that none of the others are in the same vein of inappropriate. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

Just name the guy Franz von Hipper.  There's nothing controversial about the guy I am aware of.

• Cool 2

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,481 posts
3,430 battles
37 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Since you can do it in co op: play a CV. Think I can do this in one match with my Enterprise or Hak.

Isn't one of the requirements for all of Herr Jutland's missions being "playing a Germa ship?" It's not listed in the mission briefing, but I heard that is the case. Therefore, unless a person has the Graf Zepplin, I don't think it's possible to use any CV...

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,195 posts
18,937 battles
13 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Isn't one of the requirements for all of Herr Jutland's missions being "playing a Germa ship?" It's not listed in the mission briefing, but I heard that is the case. Therefore, unless a person has the Graf Zepplin, I don't think it's possible to use any CV...

Franz von Jütland missions can be completed once per account with tier V+ ships in e22449dc-b86f-11e5-b9d2-ac162d8bc1e4.png Random114b2cc6-ff5e-11e7-ac32-ac162d8bc1e4.png Co-op0c29a84e-0a80-11e8-b0b0-ac162d8bc1e4.png Scenarios, and 5e2b893c-ebe0-11e7-994e-ac162d8bc1e4.png Ranked Battles. These missions must also be completed in numbered order. 

Nothing of German ships only

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts
25 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Just name the guy Franz von Hipper.  There's nothing controversial about the guy I am aware of.

good idea...seems an obvious name choice.  but hey...this is the same cap'n naming committee that brought us other classics like "John Doe".  

• Cool 1