You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Pigeon_of_War

Pigeon's Weekly Thought May 8th, 2018

57 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Developers, Administrator, Moderator, F&F, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
1,091 posts
3,760 battles

Hello Captains!

Imagine, if you will, a giant battle where you a more than your normal amount of ships fight to see who will when the match. An "epic" mode, if you will. What would you like to see from this? How many ships would you like to see fighting on each side? Would you like to see special requirements from this?

I'm not saying anything like this would happen, but I'd be curious to see how it would look if it did. 

Thanks for your constructive feedback! 

• Cool 6

[SPTR]
Members
1,762 posts
848 battles

I think this was mentioned before. 30v30 or something. Similar to Grand Battles in WoT. Not sure if we'd need bigger maps or not though.

[O7]
Beta Testers, Supertester
6,399 posts
7,363 battles

18 - 22 ships, I'd enjoy this gamemode.

There's bound to be many gamemodes that were thrown in the trash, but what if they could've worked? We have Halloween and April fools event, why not a community event (not like CoE) in May/June? Three a year where WG can make the whole community guinea pigs!

I do not think there should be special requirements. However, instead of a separate game-mode, 1/6 times you are likely to be "IN QUEUE: Epic Battle" or something, that'd be cool, it'd be a sort of "rare" event that people are bound to like, I think some maps would need to be cut of course but some already work.

Edited by Kousatsu
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,603 posts
4,032 battles

20 v. 20 or 24 v. 24.  30 might be ridiculous, but then again, maybe not.

If we didn't need bigger maps, it should be restricted to the largest maps currently in the game for sure.

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,585 posts
3,753 battles

30v30 with V-25s with the frontal tubes only usable :cap_cool:. Could be called "Tourney" mode. 

If we are being serious however, I think a 20v20 with maybe 30 minutes a battle could be interesting.

[ARP]
Members
29 posts
3,016 battles

This sounds like a lot of fun, as long as it was done on much larger maps and maybe with some ship class locking. I could see ship class ratios maybe? to keep stuff mostly in line - something like 1 battleship for every 3 cruisers for every 2 destroyers, and a cap of 3 carriers, etc. Obviously I don't know how these ratios would pan out but it sounds like a very cool idea. Can the servers handle this kind of load though? lol

[TIMT]
Supertester
477 posts

24vs24 would be a great number to see, without the possibility of over loading the server.

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,565 battles

Maybe a type of Senario where it's something like a football game, except one player is the football which could be a low tier  DD. On the offensive team, there'd be CAs protecting the "ball" from taking torps from the other team's DDs. The CAs on the offensive side wouldn't have/be able to, shoot guns/torps. The enemy/defense would have low tier DDs that can shoot their torps only. The only thing the CAs could do would be body protect the "ball". If the "ball" made it to the set goal then the team with the "ball" scored a point. Then, the team playing defense would play offense and the team playing offense would play defense. The new offense would then try and score a goal while the new defense would try to stop that from happening. You could switch back and forth in a set amount of time (ex. 20-30 min).

Rewards could be like doubloons for setting a high amount of goals or holding off the opponent for a certain amount of time in a match, and credits/XP/FXP/CommanderXP for performance. 

• Cool 1

[EREKT]
[EREKT]
Members
48 posts
6,110 battles

30 vs 30 would be pretty sweet. You could have 3-4 Midways a side.....and then no one would want to play. :fish_panic:

[ARMDA]
[ARMDA]
Members
879 posts
2,812 battles

The 30v30 grand battles idea is what I think should happen. Of course we might need to cap the number of ship classes so we don’t get Torp spam, plane swarms, HE spam or even zombie boats everywhere.

[5IN]
Members
1,792 posts
8,143 battles

I'm all for it.  I think this would be an interesting change of pace - if something like it comes to pass.  

B

[FOXEH]
Members
3,362 posts
12,175 battles

I would like to see an "axis vrs allies" 30v30 match. Instead of "bring your own boat" you get to pick a side and MM assigns the ship. You could normalize captain skills and builds based on Wiki recommendations. Only the human captain skill makes the difference. You probably should leave CV out of the mix, though.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,461 posts
11,777 battles

20 v 20 .

Dynamic weather.

Members
1,847 posts
17,666 battles

Last man standing...4 modes...1 for each ship type (having different types of ships in a free for all map would create immediate spotting advantages at start & throughout)...with all ships starting an equal distance from each other on a large map...no chat (as there would be no teammates to chat with & that way friends can't communicate w/each other to group up on others)...just free for all...1 victor.

OK...a little off thread but after watching the CCs doing the all CV battle & the lag from all the planes not sure how much the server could handle lots of extra ships in the same battle...but in "Waterline" video they said they were "streamlining" things in regards to that so maybe that will enable it w/out too much problem...

Back to on thread...30x30 if server can handle the data would be fun (until you end up being the 1st ship eliminated...lol).

[SPTR]
Members
1,762 posts
848 battles
2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Dynamic weather.

I would like 2 see this. When cyclones come in, i'd like 2 see the waves get choppy, along with decreased ship performance(lower speed, slower to come about, etc. The amount of reduction would depend on ship type).

[BLUE_]
Members
399 posts
14,398 battles

Almost every single WoWs player thought about it at least once. It would be interesting! :cap_like:

If you wanna play safe maybe 20v20 or 24v24 in a special event like April's fool or halloween when people are eager for something different.

• Cool 1

Members
438 posts
5,927 battles

I would like to see a 2 phased tournament.

Phase 1:  All participants are given a 19 pt captain and a ship - all the same ships -  and they can build them however they like, the way test works only limited to the assigned ship.  Give access to flags and camos as well.  Then throw them all into the same map, 30 to a side,  last man standing wins.  Winner of each round goes in to a final ffa battle.  Winner gets to keep the captain and a free re-spec. 

Phase 2  Same as above except it's a single elimination tourney, winner of each bracket gets a prize, overall winner gets a premium ship and keeps the captain.  Lesser prizes for 2nd and 3rd.

I would also like to see a massive battle of 10 or more 5 player teams on a map that's never been played.

Finally, a map the size of nine mini-maps in a large square config. like tic-tac-toe. with multiple caps and bases.  Two sides of 60 ships, 10 ships to a squadron. breakdown as follows:

5 CV's,  10 BB's, 20 CA's and 25 DD's.  Each side has an "Admiral" who can chose the initial deployment based upon friendly base locations.  The battle ends when one side loses all their bases or all their ships.  In addition, each side has an island with a airbase that has a full complement of bombers, torpedo planes and spotter planes equivalent to 2 carriers.  It can't be sunk but it can be bombed and shelled and would have some aa and shore defense batteries.

I would recommend a mix of T4 and T5 mostly to take manual drops, radar and strafing out of the equation. 

[SF-A]
Members
2,899 posts
5,719 battles

Sure, just adjust the achievements to keep it from being a Kraken farming ground. There would probably also be hard ship type restrictions imposed by MM.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,112 posts
12,671 battles

I've never played Grand Battles, but I'd like to see everyone spread out enough at the beginning that there's not an excessive concentration of fire at the beginning. Please no weird gimmicks like FFA Battle Royale, the ships in the game aren't balanced at all for it.

One idea is to use a reverse cyclone mechanic to have the battle start at night (low visibility, easy deployment, no ultra-long shots), then ease into the morning with normal visibility over the first few minutes. That would allow localized engagements to occur early on, and ships to find each other more easily in the later parts of the match.

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles

If we want to recreate the Battle of Jutland, we'll need 151 vs. 99

Or the next best one, Battle of Tsushima, is 89 vs 38

Edited by MrDeaf

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
3 hours ago, Khafni said:

I would like to see an "axis vrs allies" 30v30 match. Instead of "bring your own boat" you get to pick a side and MM assigns the ship. You could normalize captain skills and builds based on Wiki recommendations. Only the human captain skill makes the difference. You probably should leave CV out of the mix, though.

For Axis v. Allies? Yeah, definitely. Normally I'd be against excluding CVs, but given how "gimmicks" and "national flavors" work right now that would just NOT go well. America's Pearl Harbor PTSD is too strong and the allies would get air superiority most times I think. This is speaking from experience trying a historic Battle of Midway game in the training room with some friends.

For the interested, we decided to try balancing the CVs by having two Enterprises vs. two Hiryus and a Kaga. Not sure how much impact that decision had, but I DO know that when we had two Lexingtons America just stomped all over Japan.

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
412 posts
5,664 battles

30v30

It would be cool to add axis vs allies as well. 

Members
1,640 posts
7,479 battles

I think 30 vs. 30 battles would be an interesting start.

This could be done on a larger ocean map, to make the make stand out more.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Actually now that I think of it, a large scale Axis v. Allies operation might be a good way to do nation v. nation combat and bring in all ship types while not worrying about one side totally overpowering the other. After all bots don't care how badly they lose. At least not most of the time.

[HAG]
Beta Testers
318 posts
4,079 battles
9 hours ago, Khafni said:

I really like this idea, and it would allow players a chance to use a ship they have not experienced yet as well.