You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

The End of HMS Vanguard

10 comments in this topic

Members
3,562 posts
6,867 battles

Ah the HMS Vanguard, likely never to set sail in WoWs (perhaps  some sort of hybrid premium on a battlecruiser line?).

A rather chippy and cheesy film on Britain's last battleship as she heads off for scrap. Don't miss these special features:

--manual foghorn display

--Princess Elizabeth and Margret prancing around engaging in "strenuous deck games"

--defiantly breaking away from her tugs in harbour

--a shot of rum for the skeleton crew

--a broken cricket bat playing on deck

--lots and lots of breaker work and not a hard hat to be seen

So long Vanguard we hardly never knew ye.

Edited by Stauffenberg44
  • Cool 3

[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,255 battles
1 hour ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Ah the HMS Vanguard, likely never to set sail in WoWs (perhaps  some sort of hybrid premium on a battlecruiser line?).

A rather chippy and cheesy film on Britain's last battleship as she heads off for scrap. Don't miss these special features:

--manual foghorn display

--Princess Elizabeth and Margret prancing around engaging in "strenuous deck games"

--defiantly breaking away from her tugs in harbour

--a shot of rum for the skeleton crew

--a broken cricket bat playing on deck

--lots and lots of breaker work and not a hard hat to be seen

So long Vanguard we hardly never knew ye.

Sigh, always cool stuff on the forum when I’m at work and can’t watch...

Members
3,562 posts
6,867 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Sigh, always cool stuff on the forum when I’m at work and can’t watch...

Oh it's not going anywhere for you west coasters or wheresomever. ;)

Members
205 posts
214 battles

One of the greathest questions I have is why no one ever thought of sending her to Korea or the Suez. Granted she had to guard against the reds in the North sea but seriously, the last British battleship and it didn't fire her guns in anger:Smile_sad:

On other more random thoughts I would definitely pay for a novel were WW3 starts in 1950's and the Soviets unleash  a Sverdlov class cruiser in the Atlantic and because most of their carriers are occupied somewere else NATO dessides to send a force of all gun ships to hunt her. I dont care if this unrealistic, if we can have the Yamato on space we can have a last gun battle. 

Resultado de imagen para let me dream meme

[ANZ4C]
Members
165 posts
7,176 battles
On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, MS406france1940 said:

On other more random thoughts I would definitely pay for a novel were WW3 starts in 1950's and the Soviets unleash  a Sverdlov class cruiser in the Atlantic and because most of their carriers are occupied somewere else NATO dessides to send a force of all gun ships to hunt her. I dont care if this unrealistic, if we can have the Yamato on space we can have a last gun battle. 

Not quite the same but similar, you might enjoy the Kirov series of books. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirov_(novel_series) 

I've read the first 20 I think and quite good mix of naval action and alternate history. Available on Amazon.

Edited by SilhoutteFG

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
On 5/9/2018 at 4:25 PM, MS406france1940 said:

One of the greathest questions I have is why no one ever thought of sending her to Korea or the Suez. Granted she had to guard against the reds in the North sea but seriously, the last British battleship and it didn't fire her guns in anger:Smile_sad:

Would it really be worth the cost of burning all that fuel and provisions just to get the guns off?  The Jean Bart only fired her guns once at the Suez.

Members
205 posts
214 battles
23 hours ago, Sventex said:

Would it really be worth the cost of burning all that fuel and provisions just to get the guns off?  The Jean Bart only fired her guns once at the Suez.

If you put it just like that no. If you put it in the context of 1950 were a large scale war was been waged against a communist country supported by the new geopolical rival I would say yes, it was worth it to deploy it just like the Americans were doing whit their only battleship in service at the time . In 1956 I would say maybe more inclined to say no. Suez was more or less a giant show of force intended to destroy the goverment and demostrate to the world that they were still in charge, something for which a battleship would be good to have. But at the same time if the Jean Bart only shot like three proyectiles during the operation I would say there wasn't much for a battleship to do in there. 

Members
265 posts
On 5/13/2018 at 12:17 AM, Sventex said:

There were plenty of fire missions for Battleships in Korea. 

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
2 minutes ago, JuiceEFruit said:

There were plenty of fire missions for Battleships in Korea. 

At least in Korea, it wasn't just Battleships needing to fire a single salvo.