You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ahuskywolf

Ai targeting

20 comments in this topic

[FURHQ]
Beta Testers
8 posts
474 battles

Heya! Just thoght I'd ask here and see if anyone knows a definitive answer as I've had a few. 

So, I've been playing a lot of the Operation of the week (mostly in my Leander), and have noticed the AI having such an unrelenting fix on me! I'm not sure why?
Sitting at the back shooting at the first battleship that spawns, there are 2 friendly battleships within 5km of the thing yet he is still firing past them and at me? Then the next wave to spawn it's the same thing, the 2 cruisers that spawn that could see me are totally ignoring the 2 battleships then another friendly cruiser that's charging at it and is shooting way over at me. about 9km away

What is it that sets me as the target? I've been poking around and asking people in game and some people are saying its because they pref target cruisers, some are saying its because I was lowest health (even though the first spawns I had full health), some are saying It's just random? I'm really curious.

It's pretty frustrating having them all targeting me even though they have other ships all up in their face

Edited by ahuskywolf

[LOD_2]
Members
263 posts

The AI Targets the ship in range with the lowest percent of HP. This could be your Problem, being a cruiser.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
4 minutes ago, Volga1987 said:

The AI Targets the ship in range with the lowest percent of HP. This could be your Problem, being a cruiser.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[PRDEF]
Members
80 posts
3,610 battles

If you are the first cruiser spotted, good luck making it more than 5 more minutes.  Had a game the other day in my Budyonny where I was left on 76 HP and hid behind the island with the Raptor.  I was plane spotted but out of direct line of fire.  Nonetheless, my target indicator consistently showed 4-5 ships focusing me and peppering the island with shells.  Thankfully my team took advantage of my "contribution" and killed them all.

[FURHQ]
Beta Testers
8 posts
474 battles
5 minutes ago, Volga1987 said:

Ok gotcha, thanks for clearing it up :Smile_Default: 
I'll be sure to run away more efficiently next time XD

• Cool 1

[FURHQ]
Beta Testers
8 posts
474 battles
Just now, rufus374 said:

If you are the first cruiser spotted, good luck making it more than 5 more minutes.  Had a game the other day in my Budyonny where I was left on 76 HP and hid behind the island with the Raptor.  I was plane spotted but out of direct line of fire.  Nonetheless, my target indicator consistently showed 4-5 ships focusing me and peppering the island with shells.  Thankfully my team took advantage of my "contribution" and killed them all.

Haha yeah that's not a bad idea actually XD Taking advantage of the poor magnificent programming 

[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,420 posts
5,859 battles
59 minutes ago, ahuskywolf said:

Ok gotcha, thanks for clearing it up :Smile_Default: 
I'll be sure to run away more efficiently next time XD

LOL you have to sing the song from Monty Pythons Holy Grail. Brave Sir Robin when running away lol.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

it seems to like to focus you if you're closest...it will also really-really fixate on you if you're low health....it also like to focus DDs...it also seems to like shooting squishy cruisers

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,966 posts
10,751 battles

This happens in Co-op as well. Plus you can be undetected but they still know where you are and will train guns on you so the instant you go detected they shoot. Very frustrating. Let's not talk about their uncanny accuracy, ability to always land a max damage salvo, and their abiltiy to set fires at a rate many times higher than we can LOL.

• Cool 3

[WPP]
Members
527 posts
5,521 battles

If you are in a cruiser and you see it's targeting you (it happens to me all the time where I see 2 or 3 in my DETECTED warning) then you know that the BB will be launching a volley, where if it hits you broadside, it will knock 22K-24K HP off your face.  Today is all about "Lose 1 cruiser to that BB right as it's about to die.  Then go south and assume someone else will take care of the 2 incoming southbound Minekazi."  And of course "someone else" does - the Raptor.

[WPP]
Members
527 posts
5,521 battles
Just now, AdmiralThunder said:

This happens in Co-op as well. Plus you can be undetected but they still know where you are and will train guns on you so the instant you go detected they shoot. Very frustrating. Let's not talk about their uncanny accuracy, ability to always land a max damage salvo, and their abiltiy to set fires at a rate many times higher than we can LOL.

Given how people have 95%-97% win rates in Co-Op I can't say I feel that should change.  It's already too easy.

Members
142 posts
2 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Given how people have 95%-97% win rates in Co-Op I can't say I feel that should change.  It's already too easy.

There are different types of difficulty though. WG went for the lamest one. It's like the FPS games that make things "difficult" by just making the bots aim and shoot inhumanly fast.

Oh well. At least there is co-op.

• Cool 1

[SC]
Members
1,579 posts
10,042 battles

Did you paint your ship bright orange and cover it with fresh caught tuna?  That will do it every time. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,966 posts
10,751 battles
17 minutes ago, galspanic said:

I don't want to take this off track but who said anything about asking them to change it? No need to make the comment you did. Wow.

[RLGN]
Members
8,309 posts
17,372 battles
1 hour ago, rufus374 said:

If you are the first cruiser spotted, good luck making it more than 5 more minutes.

...or a premium ship. Ran Molotov recently; Gasoline and another cruiser SIGNIFICANTLY closer than me; the Myoko, first Aoba, Kuma, and Minekaze are all ignoring them completely and shooting at me...

15 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Let's not talk about their uncanny accuracy, ability to always land a max damage salvo, and their abiltiy to set fires at a rate many times higher than we can LOL.

Bots only do full pens or citadels, and never seem to take many in return. The shells are all obviously laser guided; you see something far away in binocular mode shoot, and immediately begin to turn, and yet the salvo still falls across you perfectly.

Bot fires a first shot, a few shots, or drops a bomb from a single bomber and the fire chance seems to be 100%.

That bot you just killed will with almost 100% certainty immediately set you on fire with the last shot from its secondaries.

Bot torpedoes are obviously all modern USN Mk48s, and not WE2 level equipment; since that bot you just killed, while maneuvering against its potential torpedo launch, will still somehow manage to make a launch that perfectly broadsides you.

Not only will bots have guns and torpedo tubes pointing at things they can’t ‘see;’ a bot carrier will fly its squads all the way across a map; completely ignoring other potential targets; to attack a player carrier that’s NEVER been spotted. Additionally; a bot carrier will ignore the closer threat/target that is already shooting at it; for no apparently better reason than continuing to attack its previous target.

31 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Doesn’t matter how ‘easy’ Co-op is or isn’t; it doesn’t make bot programming ‘cheats’ or ‘priority’ targeting choices any less annoying.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,809 posts
15,355 battles
2 hours ago, ahuskywolf said:

What is it that sets me as the target?

The AI targets the ship with the least HP, using the theory that his guns are the ones easiest to remove. So ... DDs first, then cruisers, then CVs, then BBs. There is a certain logic to it, though at times they way they implement it is laughable.

[WOLF5]
Members
285 posts
5,284 battles

Remember that in operations, there is no damage for bumping into ships.  So if you're being focused on and there aren't any island to dodge behind, slam your broadside next to the nearest big ship and use the other ship as a meat shield.  It won't work all the time but it'll take some shells off you.  It'll also shield you from torpedoes if you match speed with your meat shield.

[PRDEF]
Members
80 posts
3,610 battles

I will say it is uncanny how quickly you take fire when you are spotted if you have low health.  Really seems like the AIs have amazing turret traverse speeds or the ability to be looking right at you before you get spotted. 

I'm also amazed at the armor and DPM of German and IJN Tier III cruisers post-patch.  I don't remember the op it was prior to this update, but I had 37 citadels in one with my Cleveland, which is a record for me.  Now I'm lucky to get 6-8 on a match where I survive the whole time and all the CAs and BBs sail around full broadside and light 2 fires per volley with full pens.

Members
142 posts
1 minute ago, rufus374 said:

the ability to be looking right at you before you get spotted. 

It's this one. Pay attention when you're concealed. It's easiest to notice with AI CV squadrons. You'll notice them making a beeline across the map for a ship they can't see. Happens all the time.

Sometimes you can watch them track you with their turrets in a stealthed DD as well, though it's less common.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,738 posts
2 minutes ago, Poharan said:

It's this one. Pay attention when you're concealed. It's easiest to notice with AI CV squadrons. You'll notice them making a beeline across the map for a ship they can't see. Happens all the time.

Sometimes you can watch them track you with their turrets in a stealthed DD as well, though it's less common.

RFID was in coop long before the regular game as a captain skill. And it makes sense. If bots didn't have some idea where you are the red ships would wander aimlessly until you were spotted. So they all have RFID